Dreger: Filppula rejected a deal to Montreal too

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dreger was on Leafs lunch today and he hinted at the fact that one of the reasons Fippula isn't a Leaf today, may be the treatment of Brooks Laich, because Brooks Laich is in the minors and he may have put some things out there that impacted Fupplia's desire to be a Leaf.

He also said however that a deal with Montreal was also on the table and was rejected

That's even more surprising to me then rejecting a deal to the Leafs because the habs are leading the division they are a team of the present where as the Leafs are the team of the future The habs are more ready to win you'd think he'd be open to going to a team wit the best goalie in the world.

rejecting a deal to a team with the amount of young talent Toronto has is something I found odd but they aren't ready to win yet. But Montreal is, their window is NOW I would think he would go there for sure.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Dreger was on Leafs lunch today and he hinted at the fact that one of the reasons Fippula isn't a Leaf today, may be the treatment of Brooks Laich, because Brooks Laich is in the minors and he may have put some things out there that impacted Fupplia's desire to be a Leaf.

He also said however that a deal with Montreal was also on the table and was rejected

That's even more surprising to me then rejecting a deal to the Leafs because the habs are leading the division they are a team of the present where as the Leafs are the team of the future The habs are more ready to win you'd think he'd be open to going to a team wit the best goalie in the world.

rejecting a deal to a team with the amount of young talent Toronto has is something I found odd but they aren't ready to win yet. But Montreal is, their window is NOW I would think he would go there for sure.

Might also have something to do with moving to Canadian market, especially coming from a location like TB.. Lots of added media coverage that some players just don't want

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Its all about the taxes. Florida vs. TO & Montreal.

ok but why not reject every deal then if that is what it is? because unless you go to Dallas or the panthers then taxes will be worse no matter where you go.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I imagine it has more to do with the Canadian Market than anything. How many veterans have we seen lose their reputation on Montreal and Toronto?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It's the taxes. He probably had better offers when he was an UFA, but after tax income is important to him. Whatever. There's a reason he wanted that limited NTC. Good on him for exercising his rights.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's the taxes. He probably had better offers when he was an UFA, but after tax income is important to him. Whatever. There's a reason he wanted that limited NTC. Good on him for exercising his rights.

if it's the taxes you stay in the place with no state tax that's Florida or Texas

if it's strictly taxes you don't move.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lol - this taxes meme has gotten out of hand. Taxes for the last year of his contract made the difference? Come on. He didn't want to play there because he didn't want to play there. Not everyone wants to go to "Hockey Mecca" where your hot dog eating habits are discussed without irony in the local media.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
ok but why not reject every deal then if that is what it is? because unless you go to Dallas or the panthers then taxes will be worse no matter where you go.

He didn't have a full no trade clause.

He was probably just happy in Tampa and didn't want to move. I don't see why that is so hard for people to believe

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Lol - this taxes meme has gotten out of hand. Taxes for the last year of his contract made the difference? Come on. He didn't want to play there because he didn't want to play there. Not everyone wants to go to "Hockey Mecca" where your hot dog eating habits are discussed without irony in the local media.

http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

Difference between Montreal and TB on a one year contract at five million is $705,996. Its great that you can freely spend other people's money, but players do care about things like this.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

he's in philly now,when it comes to american hockey edia they might be the toughest

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, I guess 3rd times a charm? In Filppula's defense, would not want to leave the Tampa area either. It's nice down there. Not taking anything away from Toronto or Montreal, which heard are beautiful cities, just different climate.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wow, I guess 3rd times a charm? In Filppula's defense, would not want to leave the Tampa area either. It's nice down there. Not taking anything away from Toronto or Montreal, which heard are beautiful cities, just different climate.

Not to mention, the markets are a little different. Just a little. I'm thinking Filppula doesn't want that stress at this point in his career as well. He seems pretty content in TB.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Taxes are 51% in Canada for a hockey player (above 450k), except for AB... So to live on half salary, might have a lot to do withhim saying no

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Difference between Montreal and TB on a one year contract at five million is $705,996. Its great that you can freely spend other people's money, but players do care about things like this.
This is a serious chunk of change...Taxes in Canada vs the US puts the Cdn franchises at a real disadvantage...

He gets to keep more of his money, but the media and fans in Philly will probably not be kind, if he doesn't show up.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I like how these JAG players get to dictate where they want to play. who cares, this guy is not an impact player. He's overrated and under performed that's why Tampa is shipping him out.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Income taxes could play a large part in this.

Moving to Toronto or Montreal would cost him approximately $700K in additional tax

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I like how these JAG players get to dictate where they want to play. who cares, this guy is not an impact player. He's overrated and under performed that's why Tampa is shipping him out.

They do when they receive a no-trade clause from their team...

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Weird that he said yes to philly though. In the grand scheme of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad