Filip Hronek

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hronek's PP rate is lower than Seider by a bit.
But most of that is because he's playing with the 2nd unit. Mop up minutes.
Top unit, best players, get the top minutes and the mop up guys come on for the last 40 seconds.

His PP goals/60 is 1.02 - best among Detroit defensemen.
But he doesn't get all those assists.
Seider gets 5 assists/60.

If you look at Hronek last year, he had better PP number because he was the top PP defenseman. His assists/60 were 4.68.

At 5 on 5. Hronek leads the Red Wings at 1.13 points/60.
1. Hronek 1.13
2. Seider .93
3. Lindstrom .91
4. Staal .77
5. Walman ,62
6. Dekeyser .6
etc etc
Leddy was at .47, by the way.

Nobody except Juolevi has decent CF% numbers on the defense.Amazingly, so many of them are between 44.67 and 46.86.

Where Seider vs Hronek in a substantial way (and against every regular Red Wings defenseman) is the goals against/60.
Hronek is at 3.23. Better than Staal (3.58) and Lindstrom (3.24). About the same as Leddy (3.2). Worse than Dekeyser (3.01) and Seider (2.7)

I really don't know where the Hronek bashing comes from.
He's not a #1 RD - even through he played that role admirably last year.
He's a #2 RD despite who's struggled some nights in a team with a bad coach, lacking in defensive centers, and lacking in capable defensive partners.

I'd consider trading Hronek away if, for example, we signed John Klingberg.
But I'm in no hurry to trade him.

He's always going to be somewhat limited by pedestrian size and skating. But the guy knows how to move the puck. He can play with some grit. And he can fire the puck.

There's potential to upgrade at RD to a degree. But there's no urgency there.
LD.
C.
W.
G.
Al positions where we have serious issues. Those are the priorities.

So, I hang on to Hronek unless you can go get some way better. I'd be perfectly fine with Seider/Hronek as the #1/2 RD for the next 8 years.

Now, if you can sign Klingberg and then move Hronek to solve one of those issues? Do it. But can Detroit sign Klingberg? Take a number.

The bashing comes from actually watching him. Call out his advanced stats all you want. His actual gf/ga numbers are f***ing terrible and they’re directly related to how bad he is defensively. I don’t think there is a single team in the post season where he’s a top 4 guy.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Casually playing his man allowed for the pass to the shooter. Either choosing to take the man or take the pass would have maybe changed the outcome. Hronek’s decision was indecision.

Hronek could have been more aggressive. But the guy covering Watson did a shit job.
And that's just an awful goal by Ned.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Hronek's PP rate is lower than Seider by a bit.
But most of that is because he's playing with the 2nd unit. Mop up minutes.
Top unit, best players, get the top minutes and the mop up guys come on for the last 40 seconds.

His PP goals/60 is 1.02 - best among Detroit defensemen.
But he doesn't get all those assists.
Seider gets 5 assists/60.

If you look at Hronek last year, he had better PP number because he was the top PP defenseman. His assists/60 were 4.68.

At 5 on 5. Hronek leads the Red Wings at 1.13 points/60.
1. Hronek 1.13
2. Seider .93
3. Lindstrom .91
4. Staal .77
5. Walman ,62
6. Dekeyser .6
etc etc
Leddy was at .47, by the way.

Nobody except Juolevi has decent CF% numbers on the defense.Amazingly, so many of them are between 44.67 and 46.86.

Where Seider vs Hronek in a substantial way (and against every regular Red Wings defenseman) is the goals against/60.
Hronek is at 3.23. Better than Staal (3.58) and Lindstrom (3.24). About the same as Leddy (3.2). Worse than Dekeyser (3.01) and Seider (2.7)

I really don't know where the Hronek bashing comes from.
He's not a #1 RD - even through he played that role admirably last year.
He's a #2 RD despite who's struggled some nights in a team with a bad coach, lacking in defensive centers, and lacking in capable defensive partners.

I'd consider trading Hronek away if, for example, we signed John Klingberg.
But I'm in no hurry to trade him.

He's always going to be somewhat limited by pedestrian size and skating. But the guy knows how to move the puck. He can play with some grit. And he can fire the puck.

There's potential to upgrade at RD to a degree. But there's no urgency there.
LD.
C.
W.
G.
Al positions where we have serious issues. Those are the priorities.

So, I hang on to Hronek unless you can go get some way better. I'd be perfectly fine with Seider/Hronek as the #1/2 RD for the next 8 years.

Now, if you can sign Klingberg and then move Hronek to solve one of those issues? Do it. But can Detroit sign Klingberg? Take a number.
5-on-5 goal differential for defensemen league-wide, sorted by worst:
1. Yandle
2. Seth Jones
3. Leddy
4. Hronek

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Also looking the SHG given up by Detroit against Ottawa, that play started with a bad turnover from Zadina and was allowed by Hronek because he didn’t defend a 1-on-1 with any common sense fundamentals. Didn’t defend a pass. Didn’t go for the body. Didn’t gap up on his man. He committed to not committing. That’s his f***ing problem.
Lol, you are clueless.
That's the way you defend when you are on PP. Hronek knows we have 5 players they 4. All Hronek has to do is make sure he does not get beat 1 on 1 and other players should cover their man. There were 2 players who should cover the goal scorer.
Your evaluation of the goal is very bad to say it mildly. You couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: jaster

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
If only he could hit the net. I dunno if its just me but every shit seems high and wide. Especially on the one timer

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
hornek is just bad on defense. he constantly gets beat on the boards. forwards take him wide cause they know they can beat him. he is always behind the player and glides and uses his arm to play defense when someone goes wide on him, he does keep skating. he doesnt hit anyone along the boards. he has some offense but most of the time his decision making with the puck is horrible. he cant get shots on net, always hitting someone in front of him. he is at best a 5/6 dman and thats it. no matter who his partner is or what team he is on.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
As far as I’m concerned we currently have maybe 3 NHL defenseman in our team right now.

Seider #1 defenseman

Hronek 3rd pairing defenseman and second power play

Walman #7 defenseman

I’ve soured on Lindstrom as the season has went on.
Sad how badly Lindstrom has played after he had such a solid start to the season. You can tell that he has zero confidence in the way he plays.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Yes Lindstrom is going the Marchenko route quickly. Write him off and trade hronek let’s go with Seider and Edvinsson and 2 big free agent D

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They’re at fault as well. The turnover was egregious and the coverage on the trailer was meh, but the play could have been stopped at the wings blue line if Hronek attacked. That shot was on the Blues player’s stick for a fraction of a second before it was fired.
Hronek is in your head too much at this point if that is the play you're going to flog him over. That play is a perfect example of Hronek's physical limitations. A faster defenseman may have closed on Joseph better before he pulled up in the D zone. A bigger defenseman may have closed off Joseph's puck options after he pulled up in the D zone. But Hronek did about what he could. He did manage to get back, he did manage to keep Joseph to the outside, and he did manage to keep him away from the net altogether. He just wasn't quick enough to close faster and didn't have the reach to get to that puck before Joseph passed it.

But when the team watches film on that, the only guys who are going to get called out are Zadina for horrible turnover #2,428, and Sundqvist (who maybe gets a little leeway since he's new) for blowing the coverage on Watson. Hirose was backchecking on Jospeh and to support Hronek. He clearly communicated to Sundqvist to cover Watson, which was the correct play. But it was too late. Sundqvist had way over-committed and lost his man by a country mile. It's easy to lose coverage in a broken play like that, after a turnover, quick transition, and when you have forwards playing defense. Still, Sundqvist should have known better.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I’m indifferent about keeping him around.

I think he could be used in a package to get something greater, but I also think he could be a solid 2nd pairing guy on a playoff team once we get the left side figured out.

If we draft Jiricek, his days are probably numbered.
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about Jiricek in terms of how he relates to Hronek. If Jiricek were drafted, and assuming he develops appropriately, I agree, Hronek is gone-zo.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hronek is in your head too much at this point if that is the play you're going to flog him over. That play is a perfect example of Hronek's physical limitations. A faster defenseman may have closed on Joseph better before he pulled up in the D zone. A bigger defenseman may have closed off Joseph's puck options after he pulled up in the D zone. But Hronek did about what he could. He did manage to get back, he did manage to keep Joseph to the outside, and he did manage to keep him away from the net altogether. He just wasn't quick enough to close faster and didn't have the reach to get to that puck before Joseph passed it.

But when the team watches film on that, the only guys who are going to get called out are Zadina for horrible turnover #2,428, and Sundqvist (who maybe gets a little leeway since he's new) for blowing the coverage on Watson. Hirose was backchecking on Jospeh and to support Hronek. He clearly communicated to Sundqvist to cover Watson, which was the correct play. But it was too late. Sundqvist had way over-committed and lost his man by a country mile. It's easy to lose coverage in a broken play like that, after a turnover, quick transition, and when you have forwards playing defense. Still, Sundqvist should have known better.

He’s not in my head too much but the guy makes glaring mistakes almost every game that result in chances against. On that particular play Hronek didn’t defend aggressively enough. The wings were 5 on 4 with 2 teammates back but he looked like he was trying to (poorly) defend a 2 on 1. His size or speed wasn’t the issue on that goal. It was hockey sense and effort. Had he closed that gap between him and the puck carrier earlier the play ends earlier.

If coaching only calls out Zadina and Sundqvist as you say then that’s even further proof this coaching team doesn’t know what the f*** they’re doing.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He’s not in my head too much but the guy makes glaring mistakes almost every game that result in chances against. On that particular play Hronek didn’t defend aggressively enough. The wings were 5 on 4 with 2 teammates back but he looked like he was trying to (poorly) defend a 2 on 1. His size or speed wasn’t the issue on that goal. It was hockey sense and effort. Had he closed that gap between him and the puck carrier earlier the play ends earlier.

If coaching only calls out Zadina and Sundqvist as you say then that’s even further proof this coaching team doesn’t know what the f*** they’re doing.
You just embarrass yourself. Several posters have said that Hronek played it correctly. You are the lone one who reads that completely wrong. If Hronek plays more aggressively he risks to create 2 on 0 and and an easy goal.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You just embarrass yourself. Several posters have said that Hronek played it correctly. You are the lone one who reads that completely wrong. If Hronek plays more aggressively he risks to create 2 on 0 and and an easy goal.

Your posts are nearing Oaf territory here.

There were two wings back with Hronek on that play. Go watch a replay without your rose colored glasses.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

No. That play is an example of where you don't get aggressive. He was one-on-one and Jospeh had speed. If Hronek gets aggressive and Jospeh gets around him, he's got a wide open lane to the net, and then Hronek would really deserve to be roasted. Hronek's goal there is to keep Joseph wide and close him off if possible.

You don't take extra risks because you are expecting your teammates to screw up their own assignments. You have to make the right hockey play and hope your teammates do as well. In this case, Hronek did and Sundqvist did not, end of story.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Your posts are nearing Oaf territory here.

There were two wings back with Hronek on that play. Go watch a replay without your rose colored glasses.
There were 0 Wings back with Hronek. Sundqvist was trailing the play (which was fine at first) and was there to pick up the trailer (which he failed to do). He was clearly not supporting Hronek, nor should he have been. And Hirose showed up well after all the facets of this play we've all been discussing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad