Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
My bad. It's even worse. Gonna love hearing Walsh try and justify anything close to 8M
I think you guys are making too big of a deal about them asking for 8. That’s his job to ask for more and then when they sit down they will negotiate it down.
When is the last time you hear an agent leading with way less money and then negotiate up from that? I guess if there is a full season left and he is exceeding metrics every month then yeah the price can go up. But at this point, unless he has a crazy ass playoffs like being PPG over a 10+ game, his price is going to come down as they negotiate.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Seravalli doubling (tripling at this point?) Down on Hronek's next deal starting with an 8.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Given Seravalli record, I guess the contract is signed at $5.5m

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
$8M lmao. Seravalli was right about the Horvat contract so yes he is pretty spot on with contract sources etc.

I don’t think he’s wrong, there will probably be a team that would be totally fine handing him an 8M year contract. RHD 50 points and 26 years old. We got no business in giving him more than Hughes and quite frankly I’m really not keen on signing him long term even at $7M.

He’s really a $6.5M defenseman. Not a cent more than that

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
$8M lmao. Seravalli was right about the Horvat contract so yes he is pretty spot on with contract sources etc.

I don’t think he’s wrong, there will probably be a team that would be totally fine handing him an 8M year contract. RHD 50 points and 26 years old. We got no business in giving him more than Hughes and quite frankly I’m really not keen on signing him long term even at $7M.

He’s really a $6.5M defenseman. Not a cent more than that

This is the number on a 5 yr deal for me. I don't get the 8 year stuff being thrown around.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Didn't Seravelli say EPs contract number will start with a 12? Not saying he's wrong about Hronek but at the end of the day, it's just speculation.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Trade him in the offseason.

There will be teams interested even at $8M per.

I’d target Buffalo in particular.

They have lots of assets that would be of interest.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
If they have to trade him, they’ll get good assets back and can sign someone like Tanev as a stop gap for a few years.

I expect they sign him for 7-7.5 though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Trade him if Frank is right, I hope management is planning on paying $8M+ for him.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Trading him isn't the issue, replacing him is. Tanev shouldn't be playing top pairing minutes anymore and we have no other puck moving defensemen after H&H.

This is going to be one of Allvin's biggest challenge yet.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Trading him isn't the issue, replacing him is. Tanev shouldn't be playing top pairing minutes anymore and we have no other puck moving defensemen after H&H.

This is going to be one of Allvin's biggest challenge yet.
That's why I don't think trading Hronek is in the cards at all, he's our only RHD who can move the puck well while being a good cover for his partners. We're not going to get a replacement in a trade, we'd have to add and the assets to make that happen are gone.

Even if he's a RFA his agents knows this and can stall if the offer is not good enough, because Allvin will blink first. That said, Hanifin being paid what he is right now does mean the cap hit will probably be in the 7M ballpark which is completely manageable. You do wish the cap hit would come a bit lower because Hronek is unlikely to have a scoring tear like he did in the first half of the season but it's better to overshoot a bit for a player that fills a need perfectly than to lose him and spend years chasing replacements.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Didn't Seravelli say EPs contract number will start with a 12? Not saying he's wrong about Hronek but at the end of the day, it's just speculation.
Yes, and he implied the deal would be “close to 100 million” over 8 years. Well he got the term right but he was significantly off on the AAV.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He's not getting paid more than Hughes, any talk of this is ridiculous. If the ask is too much, I think the Canucks will just qualify him and let him prove he's worth the money next season and not worry too much is he walks as a UFA. I don't think he'll be traded as no team is going to want to give him $8 million or more. Perhaps now we're seeing why Yzerman was fine with dealing him as they had a good idea about his contract demands.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Quinn Hughes signed his deal almost 3 years ago. It's all well and good to think he's the bar but the cap is going up and players salary will reflect that.

The equivalent cap % to Hughes deal now is, 8.2m so under that sure.

Despite what frank-o says I think it's a 7 starter.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
VAN’s going to rest some of the key guys in these last two.

I wonder how that conversation with Hronek goes knowing he needs two points in the final two games for 50.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
How much would a guy like Pesce get this summer?

Is Hronek better than Pesce?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Why hasn't he taken a slapshot in forever? He has a bomb but won't use it, and it seems like the rest of the team doesn't view him as an option in the offensive zone. It's pretty bizarre, as if he turned into a completely different type of player half way through the season.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Quinn Hughes signed his deal almost 3 years ago. It's all well and good to think he's the bar but the cap is going up and players salary will reflect that.

The equivalent cap % to Hughes deal now is, 8.2m so under that sure.

Despite what frank-o says I think it's a 7 starter.
Quinn also signed with several RFA years remaining. Hronek's next contract is almost completely a pure UFA contract.

Despite what people want to say, they are really not relevant contract comparables.

Of course Walsh is going to keep pushing for $8M and floating it out there. He's the agent. That's his job. VAN can't and won't pay that. Let's see if they can negotiate and reach a palatable number in the 7s.

Reactions: canuckking1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad