Value of: Filip Gustavsson

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
His contract isn't as terrible as a Husso or Korpisalo, but I can't see him having much positive value with just 1 good season and 1 bad season under his belt

Reactions: harv33173

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Would be dumb to move him and only happens if someone offers something good. Any futures that the Wild get for him would then have to be immediately spent replacing him the next season when Fleury retires. And by moving him now you are completely gambling the season on Wallstedt being ready as a starting goalie AND Fleury staying healthy for the whole season. Seems illogical to me when he was showing good signs as the season went on and the Wild have zero depth at Goalie beyond Wallstedt.

He had his first child last year, and his focus was definitely not up to standards, but when he is on his game, he is absolutely capable of stealing wins on his own. It’s just so easy to see him bouncing back when he isn’t playing behind 4 AHL caliber D men, and has an off season of heat to stay motivated.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Would be dumb to move him and only happens if someone offers something good. Any futures that the Wild get for him would then have to be immediately spent replacing him the next season when Fleury retires. And by moving him now you are completely gambling the season on Wallstedt being ready as a starting goalie AND Fleury staying healthy for the whole season. Seems illogical to me when he was showing good signs as the season went on and the Wild have zero depth at Goalie beyond Wallstedt.

He had his first child last year, and his focus was definitely not up to standards, but when he is on his game, he is absolutely capable of stealing wins on his own. It’s just so easy to see him bouncing back when he isn’t playing behind 4 AHL caliber D men, and has an off season of heat to stay motivated.
There has also been criticisms that Gus Bus doesn't put in he proper off-season conditioning needed. Wild have also said, I believe via Russo, that Wallstedt's kind of gotten what he can get out of the AHL.
We have one season left of Flower. No disrespect intended towards Gus, but if Wallstedt is going to learn the NHL goalie ropes, learn from one of the best.

Reactions: SnS

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There has also been criticisms that Gus Bus doesn't put in he proper off-season conditioning needed. Wild have also said, I believe via Russo, that Wallstedt's kind of gotten what he can get out of the AHL.
We have one season left of Flower. No disrespect intended towards Gus, but if Wallstedt is going to learn the NHL goalie ropes, learn from one of the best.

This is certainly an interesting wrinkle to the whole scenario. If they really feel that Wallstedt has gotten what he can out of the AHL and is ready to start learning on the job in the NHL...Gustavsson is kind of blocking him for the moment.

It'd definitely make sense to move him and let Wallstedt split the load with MAF for a year. Since they went ahead and committed to bringing him back for another season. That's also an extra ~$3M bucks on the cap for Minnesota to play with, which could be pretty huge given the buyout penalties they're dealing with.

But that creates quite the highly leveraged situation for 2025-26. Can't imagine this isn't Fleury's last season at this point. So you're leaning super heavy on the idea that Wallstedt is going to be ready to fully take the reins at that point, after just a year in the NHL splitting starts at best with MAF. And you no longer have that "fallback" plan with Gus, to at least split starts and carry some of the workload.

Minnesota have just had a really weird ride with their goaltending situation over the past few years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But that creates quite the highly leveraged situation for 2025-26. Can't imagine this isn't Fleury's last season at this point. So you're leaning super heavy on the idea that Wallstedt is going to be ready to fully take the reins at that point, after just a year in the NHL splitting starts at best with MAF. And you no longer have that "fallback" plan with Gus, to at least split starts and carry some of the workload.

This is definitely Fleury's last year and it would be incredibly short sighted, knowing that, to move Gus now, even if you want Wallstedt learning in the NHL from Fleury. Guerin has been nothing if not impulsive and short sighted in his time here though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is definitely Fleury's last year and it would be incredibly short sighted, knowing that, to move Gus now, even if you want Wallstedt learning in the NHL from Fleury. Guerin has been nothing if not impulsive and short sighted in his time here though.

It feels like the way he's managed the goaltending spot in particular has been...impulsive and fly by the seat of his pants sort of stuff. Yet somehow, he's largely managed to walk back asswards into mostly quality goaltending somehow or another.

From having Talbot on a rockin' resurgence season...going out and getting MAF which apparently pissed off Talbot and ultimately forced a trade (and maybe dodge a bullet with Talbot falling apart that season). Only to have the throw-in goalie with Gustavsson post a ridiculous season. To then having Fleury make a bit of a comeback.

So i wouldn't necessarily put it past him to just keep that rolling and live dangerously. Even if like you said...it'd be a hugely risky and short-sighted move.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Just asking the question, could Rossi, Gus and thier 1st get a team to trade thier top 10 pick. Would Minnesota be looking for an established player?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
People underestimate how few goalies there are available.

I don't think he has negative value. If he was a free agent this offseason, he would get something pretty close to 2 x 3.75M on the open market. There just aren't many options.

I could see them getting a late or future 2nd. Something like that. Maybe from a team like LAK, who need a goalie and have a system that typically gets the best out of goalies.

You have to keep in mind that Gustavsson isn't a goalie who came out of nowhere. This isn't Andrew Hammond who was a solid pro or whatever, but wasn't projected to be a star. He was a 2nd round pick, and a fairly high-end goalie prospect. My suspicion is that Ottawa partly moved on due to pressure to win, and budgetary concerns (he was on a 1-way deal).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gus is still young, has a reasonable contract, and is talented. Needs to rediscover the magic he had in 2022-23. For me, the future in goal for MN is he and Wallstedt. Trading him for anything less than an overpay makes no sense. It would leave the team forced to play Wallstedt big minutes right away, rather than sub him in gradually over the course of the season, which is surely the wiser course. Also, trading Gus would leave us out of options if one of our goalies(probably fleury) gets an injury.

Trading him for a 2nd gets MN, what? A bottom/middle of the lineup player in 4-5 years, if they are lucky.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Gus is still young, has a reasonable contract, and is talented. Needs to rediscover the magic he had in 2022-23. For me, the future in goal for MN is he and Wallstedt. Trading him for anything less than an overpay makes no sense. It would leave the team forced to play Wallstedt big minutes right away, rather than sub him in gradually over the course of the season, which is surely the wiser course. Also, trading Gus would leave us out of options if one of our goalies(probably fleury) gets an injury.

Trading him for a 2nd gets MN, what? A bottom/middle of the lineup player in 4-5 years, if they are lucky.
Maybe Billy big balls wants to clear more cap to take a big swing this off season….

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just asking the question, could Rossi, Gus and thier 1st get a team to trade thier top 10 pick. Would Minnesota be looking for an established player?
If they're trading that package, I'd say most definitely for an established player, and not just to move up.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Is it a top 3 pick? Cause otherwise that's a serious downgrade in value.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Maybe Billy big balls wants to clear more cap to take a big swing this off season….
Why do it in the off season when at most you can only go $8MM? Wait until December with cap accruals and the Wild can use the full $13MM in cap space from the buyouts dropping off. Get a couple of months worth of Wallstedt starts to ensure he is ready, show off Gus a bit more rather than selling at a low, and the buyers are going to be the same because UFA goalie market is trash, plus any teams that are dealing with injuries.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad