Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Fox and Filip are the 2 that I sign long term asap or we will be paying much more

Filip is either going to sign a very agreeable contract due to his steady upward growth with the Rangers, or a more conflicting one emerging from the fallout of an offer-sheet. Hopefully he gets max term here by and by.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Filip is either going to sign a very agreeable contract due to his steady upward growth with the Rangers, or a more conflicting one emerging from the fallout of an offer-sheet. Hopefully he gets max term here by and by.

Chytil will be on his current deal through the end of next season that’s perfectly lines up with increased in the cap room for the Rangers. He should get a 6-year year extension at some point after this July 1, if not longer.

Reactions: Leetch3

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Chytil will be on his current deal through the end of next season that’s perfectly lines up with increased in the cap room for the Rangers. He should get a 6-year year extension at some point after this July 1, if not longer.

Yeah I don’t doubt the intent management has to lock Chytil up ASAP, I just hope it happens before next summer to avoid such an issue

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I don’t doubt the intent management has to lock Chytil up ASAP, I just hope it happens before next summer to avoid such an issue

Even next summer he’ll be RFA without arbitration. So far he’s been a perfect prospect so I just don’t see an issue based on everything that’s taken place so far. I’m sure he’d be agreeable to a long-term deal and they should be able to workout a number. Given his stats I just don’t see his demands being outrageous (or the Rangers to be forced to lowball him given the cap relief I mentioned).

Reactions: haveandare

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Even next summer he’ll be RFA without arbitration. So far he’s been a perfect prospect so I just don’t see an issue based on everything that’s taken place so far. I’m sure he’d be agreeable to a long-term deal and they should be able to workout a number. Given his stats I just don’t see his demands being outrageous (or the Rangers to be forced to lowball him given the cap relief I mentioned).
I’d absolutely give him the Tuch contract on his next deal.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Do you guys think I'm being overzealous in thinking Chytil eventually becomes a 35-35-70 type of player once he fills out?

I dunno sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself at times but watching him, I can't help but think that once he gets some more experience and his body fills out some more, he's going to be an absolute star force for us.

And I'm thinking with him just 20, by the time he reaches 22, numbers like I'm mentioning shouldn't be unrealistic or am I'm in lala land and I should put down the bong(lol)....thoughts?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Do you guys think I'm being overzealous in thinking Chytil eventually becomes a 35-35-70 type of player once he fills out?

I dunno sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself at times but watching him, I can't help but think that once he gets some more experience and his body fills out some more, he's going to be an absolute star force for us.

And I'm thinking with him just 20, by the time he reaches 22, numbers like I'm mentioning shouldn't be unrealistic or am I'm in lala land and I should put down the bong(lol)....thoughts?

1. Do not put down the [REDACTED]!

2. I repeat, do not put down the [REDACTED]!

3. I don't think you're being overzealous. It's up to Chytil really. He's got great skating abilities, speed and potential to upgrade that. He can pass, play-make, be creative, has a sneaky shot, that will get better too. Got a big frame to put meat on. Not ignoring the defensive side of the puck either. With experience, mistakes will become less, unless Chytil's a rube, but he doesn't seem to be. Our boi is 20 years old and already has 121 NHL games ! under his belt. I mean if everything goes right, you should be right on the money.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I don’t think these numbers are unrealistic, but I’d be cautious with timing, i.e. if we are drawing parallels with Zibanejad - note how long it took him to become a 70-point man. You might adjust slightly for the impact injuries had on the Swede’s career but still.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I don't think 70 points are unrealistic either.

To me, it seems like he already should have much more points than he currently has. Every game, he is driving the play, creating chances, but his linemates just never seem to capitalize on them. If he were playing with better wingers, he would already be well above 0.5 ppg imho.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's made improvements.

He's great on the forecheck and carrying the puck in the zone.
He has a heavy and good shot. IT can be refined further as well as his release.
He needs a lot of work on faceoffs. I think he has what it takes to become a 'workhorse' like another Zibs. Maybe start PKing him soon?

I still see him have trouble in the O-Zone with positioning. He's so awkward in this area. Even in transition, if he doesn't have the puck, he occasionally suffocates the puck carrier... he has improved slightly but can he find the soft spots and put himself in position to succeed with say, a Panarin? IMO that's where he needs work.

His playmaking needs to develop as well.

I wonder if they take him to UFA or eat a couple years with his next contract. 5-6 year deal? 7 years would bring him to 29. 7x5 could potentially look like a steal when he's 23-24 years old.

What's funny Kakko is exhibiting some things that plagued Chytil last year. He went from a god-tier puck handling magician to looking like a beer leaguer.

Last edited:

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
He's made improvements.

He's great on the forecheck and carrying the puck in the zone.
He has a heavy and good shot. IT can be refined further as well as his release.
He needs a lot of work on faceoffs. I think he has what it takes to become a 'workhorse' like another Zibs. Maybe start PKing him soon?

I still see him have trouble in the O-Zone with positioning. He's so awkward in this area. Even in transition, if he doesn't have the puck, he occasionally suffocates the puck carrier... he has improved slightly but can he find the soft spots and put himself in position to succeed with say, a Panarin? IMO that's where he needs work.

His playmaking needs to develop as well.

I wonder if they take him to UFA or eat a couple years with his next contract. 5-6 year deal? 7 years would bring him to 29. 7x5 could potentially look like a steal when he's 23-24 years old.

What's funny Kakko is exhibiting some things that plagued Chytil last year. He went from a god-tier puck handling magician to looking like a beer leaguer.

The biggest thing with Chytil for me is what you mostly covered in your points: are we seeing the progress and improvement in his overall game, year over year?

Like you said, in just 1 year he's improved his forecheck and cycle game, become more engaged and more consistent in his play, and has noticeably filled out and improved his conditioning. And compared to last year, he's using his speed in transition more effectively.

At the same time, there's many parts to his game that haven't seen the same progress (many of which you mentioned). This is why next year is such an important one for him...how much development and improvement he shows in rounding out his game over the course of the season will directly impact the contract the team is comfortable signing him to.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't think 70 points are unrealistic either.

To me, it seems like he already should have much more points than he currently has. Every game, he is driving the play, creating chances, but his linemates just never seem to capitalize on them. If he were playing with better wingers, he would already be well above 0.5 ppg imho.

Di Giuseppe plays hard, but that line could really use a solid veteran presence to help them out IMO.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Probably the only player lost on waivers in the last 10 years that I felt could have contributed to the team at the time
And the fact that his production took off with his new team suggests it could have been a coaching issue here:
5sPbbSU.png

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Chytil has taken a nice step forward this year. I always loved the pick. He was a fast riser in the draft. I guess the only thing he needs to work on on his playmaking especially if he want to be our number 2 C. I think too many times he tries to go through 2-3 guys and misses an open player. He had gotten better at it but it’s something that he needs to add to his already impressive skill set

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At the same time, there's many parts to his game that haven't seen the same progress (many of which you mentioned). This is why next year is such an important one for him...how much development and improvement he shows in rounding out his game over the course of the season will directly impact the contract the team is comfortable signing him to.
He has certainly taken a step forward and is more noticeable. Next year will be a big one for him to take an even bigger step.

He definitely needs work on his face offs and playmaking. The latter can come with time but the former can be worked on immediately. I also think that he needs to use his body even more to his advantage.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think if Chytil becomes like a +2C (think Stepan/Brassard level in terms of overall play) we are absolutely set at forward. In fact, besides Kakko I think Chytil is by far the most important key to our forward core going forward.

Reactions: jas

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Chytil's attitude this after getting sent to Hartford and how he took a long hard look at himself and made the necessary changes have made me respect him that much more. He needs to work on his shot and getting if off better in traffic (just like Kaako) but his skating ability is top notch. Even his strength on the puck has improved and will only get better when he Fill(ip)s out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad