Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Definitely top-10 but I put him just outside the top-5

1. Makar
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Hischier
5. Necas
6. Glass
7. Chytil
8. Brännström
9. Thomas
10. Jokiharju
I may be alone in this, but I’m just not that impressed with Hischier. I think when all is said and done the 2 Czechs will both have better careers.

We’re totally talking personal preference here, but I’m curious: why do you have a) Necas, and especially, b) Glass ahead of Chytil?

Edit: also, amazing to see Patrick drop out. I agree, but amazing nonetheless.

Reactions: haveandare

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pettersson
Heiskanen
Makar
Chytil
Necas
Hischier
Thomas
Glass/Batherson
Comtois/Jokiharju

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I may be alone in this, but I’m just not that impressed with Hischier. I think when all is said and done the 2 Czechs will both have better careers.

We’re totally talking personal preference here, but I’m curious: why do you have a) Necas, and especially, b) Glass ahead of Chytil?

Edit: also, amazing to see Patrick drop out. I agree, but amazing nonetheless.

Hischier is a really good center playing top-line minutes at the age of 20. 52 and 47 (in 69) points in his first 2 seasons at that position is something that puts him in the top-5 for me, not even taking his defensive responsibilities into account.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think Chytil's size is what gives him a potentially different dynamic than Hischier. Hischier is a quality center and is a likely consistent 60-70 point producer going forward. I also think he's more polished than Chytil. You get the sense with Chytil that he's still learning the frontiers of his abilities.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Definitely top-10 but I put him just outside the top-5

1. Makar
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Hischier
5. Necas
6. Glass
7. Chytil
8. Brännström
9. Thomas
10. Jokiharju

This is about right. In hindsight, i think if we took Chytil at 7 and Lias at 21, we'd be over the moon for this draft. Taken at 7, Chytil would be right on track, and taken at 21, most would feel Lias was either on track, or even ahead of where he should be.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This is about right. In hindsight, i think if we took Chytil at 7 and Lias at 21, we'd be over the moon for this draft. Taken at 7, Chytil would be right on track, and taken at 21, most would feel Lias was either on track, or even ahead of where he should be.

I just pretend we drafted Chytil at 7 and Lias at 21, lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm just picturing the reactions around here if we took Chytil, who IIRC wasn't even a lock to be a 1st rounder, at 7OA.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm just picturing the reactions around here if we took Chytil, who IIRC wasn't even a lock to be a 1st rounder, at 7OA.

Pre-draft projections for Chytil:

upload_2019-11-22_16-1-15.png

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Even at 21 the thread was an interesting mix of people wondering who and calling it a big overdraft, alongside people who were thrilled.

Reactions: Tawnos

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Petterson should have gone #1 in his draft. So many people were banging that drum. Amazingly, I'd say that 4 of the top 5 should have been taken there. Patrick, who was a preseason consensus #1, shouldn't have gone that high. He's also suffering from migraines right now, so who knows how he would have performed this season. For now, I'd say this is my top 10.

Petterson
Makar
Heiskanen
Hischier
Glass
Necas
Thomas
Chytil
Patrick
Mittelstadt

Brannstrom and Suzuki are on the outside of the top 10, also there are guys like Frost, Vaakanainen and Kostin who are just getting their careers started and they have only increased their stocks since being drafted. The back end of the top 10 could look really different in about 5 months, especially if Necas, Chytil, and these guys I have just outside the top 10 get going.

Can't forget about Comtois or Texier either. They're likely to be 1st rounders at this point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks. That makes more sense. Still a pretty large disparity, with some having him as a late 1st and others as an early 3rd.

Which circles back to the initial point: If we had picked Chytil 7th overall on that night, this fanbase would have the pitchforks ready.

However, I remember in the weeks leading up to the draft, Chytil's stock rose due to a strong late performance. Not unlike Lias Andersson's situation. We picked 2 late risers, and it worked out early on for one of them while the other needs more time. Just goes to show you that there's no 1 way to do things right in the draft. Revisionist history is always easy and it's lazy to point out the guys who are doing well now, like Necas, Thomas etc.

In 2017, the 2 players I liked ahead of Lias Andersson were Erik Brännström and Martin Nečas. I am not going to claim I wanted Robert Thomas, or Eeli Tolvanen or Klim Kostin. At 7th overall, Lias was a top-3 option for me so when we picked him, I was happy.

When we picked Kravtsov at 9 a year later, I was again quite happy. Having said that I would have picked Kravtsov at 8 (pre-lottery) I was thrilled with the outcome. But that doesn't mean I was right. The jury is still out. Same with Lias and Chytil. As @Edge has pointed out before, the majority of the 2017 draft class is only now turning pro/coming over to NA. If Lias played in the SHL for 2 full seasons, nobody would bat an eye. And Chytil could have played in Zlin for 2 more years. They brought both over, and while for 1 it was clearly too early, the other has progressed better than anyone could have anticipated.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Makar jumps to number 1 already? I still think Pete goes 1 in a redraft. Followed by Makar/Heiskanen in whichever order. Then Hischier. Are people really saying Chytil is better than Hischier? Hischier hasn't lit the world on fire but he was NHL ready at 18 and has been pretty good, and i think he still has another level to reach in the coming years. No he'll never be Petersson but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad