Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Chytil has probably been our 2nd best 5v5 forward behind Panarin this season and is now 2nd among players with 200+ 5v5 minutes in G/60 (2.22) behind Marchand, 14th in ixG/60 (0.96) inbetween McDavid and Stone, 20th in P/60 (2.77) ahead of Matthews, 5th in CF%Rel (+10.02), 14th in GF%Rel (+23.81) and 2nd in xGF%Rel (+15.13).

And while 50% of his 5v5 scoring has come from the 30% of his 5v5 TOI spent with Panarin, his on-ice metrics are just as strong (if not even stronger) away from Panarin.
upload_2019-11-30_0-45-0.png

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Chytil has probably been our 2nd best 5v5 forward behind Panarin this season and is now 2nd among players with 200+ 5v5 minutes in G/60 (2.22) behind Marchand, 14th in ixG/60 (0.96) inbetween McDavid and Stone, 20th in P/60 (2.77) ahead of Matthews, 5th in CF%Rel (+10.02), 14th in GF%Rel (+23.81) and 2nd in xGF%Rel (+15.13).

And while 50% of his 5v5 scoring has come from the 30% of his 5v5 TOI spent with Panarin, his on-ice metrics are just as strong (if not even stronger) away from Panarin.
View attachment 284427
This all looks even better score-adjusted.

Only 15 games but f*** it:
upload_2019-11-29_20-12-3.png

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I may be alone in this, but I’m just not that impressed with Hischier. I think when all is said and done the 2 Czechs will both have better careers.

We’re totally talking personal preference here, but I’m curious: why do you have a) Necas, and especially, b) Glass ahead of Chytil?

Edit: also, amazing to see Patrick drop out. I agree, but amazing nonetheless.

I’d rate Necas 3rd overall in that class. I think he can be that good. I’d put Chytil right behind Heiskenen at who I’d put 4th.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Eye test definitely confirms. Now the question is how long he will keep it up and how he deals with adversity (again).

Reactions: haveandare

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
They didn't have much to pick from. This isn't a case where they left a Tarasenko or a Fowler on the board: players who, at the time, people thought were better.

The 2017 draft had, even at the time, a clear fall-off outside the top 5. Thats why the rangers were desperately trying to trade up. at 7, it was a coin flip between Lias and Casey. To this day, i would argue it still is. Almost three years later, we can only see two or three players better than Lias right now, in every pick after him for the rest of the draft, and all were considered risks (Chytil, Necas, and Thomas). Lias likely still goes 10-15 OA today, easy.

On top of that, it was an odd draft. Of the top 10 picks, 8 centers and 2 D were taken, and it might be that the two D are the best two.

I still consider Mittelstadt the biggest “bust” of that draft so far. He was the one being talked about everywhere and seemingly by every pundit and anylist. It was the same last year in Buffalo and he has thus far looked terrible.

I feel like Lias was not nearly as big a deal and still isn’t. He’s been completely overshadowed by Chytil at this point, but that kind of started to happen right away, the summer following the draft.

Outside of NY, I’m really not sure what expectations for Lias were. But he still can blossom, now with much less pressure even. Getting demoted could still be great for him in that sense. While CM still has all eyes on him, and playing on that team, when even Nick Petan starts to outshine, it can’t be great for his confidence. For me, Casey M is up their with Codey Hodgson and others as some of the biggest disappointments in modern drafting.

Lias, if he fails, which I hope he won’t, still won’t be that big of a shock I think.

But yea, both Casey and Lias still have plenty of time. It could be as simple as a change of scenery. Look how long it took Elias Lindholm. Year after year, I was shocked to see him disappoint in Car. Then he goes to Calgary and bust no more. Jared McCaan even. There is a guy I gave up on finally after 3 seasons. Now how many seasons later and he’s looking like a real player. If only Curtis Lazar could find the right fit now.....lol I’m kidding. I honestly don’t think there is any hope for him. For a while, I thought Dylan Strome was on that bust path. That’s changed in Chicago for now at least.

All that said, Chytil had such a high ceiling even then, I’m surprised the Rangers got him where he did. I’d rather draft a high ceiling than a safe player, especially in the early 1st. But they struck gold and if Lias never develops, it probably will go mostly unnoticed because of how good Chytil will be.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I still consider Mittelstadt the biggest “bust” of that draft so far. He was the one being talked about everywhere and seemingly by every pundit and anylist. It was the same last year in Buffalo and he has thus far looked terrible.

I feel like Lias was not nearly as big a deal and still isn’t. He’s been completely overshadowed by Chytil at this point, but that kind of started to happen right away, the summer following the draft.

Outside of NY, I’m really not sure what expectations for Lias were. But he still can blossom, now with much less pressure even. Getting demoted could still be great for him in that sense. While CM still has all eyes on him, and playing on that team, when even Nick Petan starts to outshine, it can’t be great for his confidence. For me, Casey M is up their with Codey Hodgson and others as some of the biggest disappointments in modern drafting.

Lias, if he fails, which I hope he won’t, still won’t be that big of a shock I think.

But yea, both Casey and Lias still have plenty of time. It could be as simple as a change of scenery. Look how long it took Elias Lindholm. Year after year, I was shocked to see him disappoint in Car. Then he goes to Calgary and bust no more. Jared McCaan even. There is a guy I gave up on finally after 3 seasons. Now how many seasons later and he’s looking like a real player. If only Curtis Lazar could find the right fit now.....lol I’m kidding. I honestly don’t think there is any hope for him. For a while, I thought Dylan Strome was on that bust path. That’s changed in Chicago for now at least.

All that said, Chytil had such a high ceiling even then, I’m surprised the Rangers got him where he did. I’d rather draft a high ceiling than a safe player, especially in the early 1st. But they struck gold and if Lias never develops, it probably will go mostly unnoticed because of how good Chytil will be.
I agree on Mittelstadt. People were comparing him to Pettersson, saying he was the top forward prospect anywhere, etc because he had a great 7 game tournament. He had an OK college season and had a lot of excuses made for him to keep the hype up. He's just not that good. The pull up thing became a funny meme, but all jokes aside, that's an absurd failure to figure out a basic task with a lot of time to prepare, and that level of weakness is a real problem at this level.

Reactions: brakeyawself

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

If we took Chytil at 7, and Lias at 21, today we would consider both great picks.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the guy we took at 21, who by age 21, had already played +60 games in the NHL, and was +0.5PPG in the AHL, that would be a win.
Just worried that he has regressed a bit this season. Still too early to tell I guess.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All the underlying numbers are there. The signs are all there. he’s going to continue to produce this year no doubt more so if we put him in the top 6, but I think his age 21 season becomes the real breakout year for him where the league is forced to take notice. This kid JUST turned 20. But it’s clear he’s going to be a major offensive driver for this franchise.

the other part is I think he’s becoming one of our best defensive forwards too

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You know what Since I’ve worn 27 or 72 my whole life as a hockey player And I own Kovalev and Mcdonagh jerseys, I just took the plunge on a #72 white CHYTIL jersey. I’ve now made the commitment to the kid. Expect nothing but praise from me from this day forward.
I was at that 25 year Cup anniversary game and I told my friend ‘if Chytil scores I’m getting up and buying his jersey.’ They ended up getting shut out (of course), but I’m just going to get one the next time I get out to a game

Reactions: Kovalev27

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If we took Chytil at 7, and Lias at 21, today we would consider both great picks.
I don’t like that logic. It’s just an excuse for poor drafting. It’s like saying, “if we took Lundqvist at 10th and McIlrath in the 7th round, today we would consider both great picks.” And before everyone starts getting mad, I know drafting is a crapshoot. There are very few instances where I point to a pick and say “that’s bad drafting.” The Dylan McIlrath pick is one example. And I have a feeling the other will probably be the LA pick. For instance, even if Kravtsov busts and never plays an NHL game, I will never consider that a bad pick. It was a very good pick at the time, albeit risky, but that’s what you get when you go for players with high ceilings (which should be the strategy when drafting). If it turns out that LA plays 100 career NHL games as a meh 4th liner and Kravtsov never even plays 1 game, it doesn’t matter. I still liked the Kravtsov pick better. The number of NHL games played is not a good indicator of drafting strategy imo.

*And before someone misunderstands what I’m saying, which is bound to happen, I still have high hopes for Kravtsov (not so much for LA, sorry).

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If the guy we took at 21, who by age 21, had already played +60 games in the NHL, and was +0.5PPG in the AHL, that would be a win.
60 games? You mean the ones where he played 7-8 minutes and didn’t have a positive impact whatsoever? That’s just an indicator that he was rushed. I hate when people use NHL games played as an example of success. Necas has 34 NHL games played. Does that mean he’s worse than LA?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t like that logic. It’s just an excuse for poor drafting. It’s like saying, “if we took Lundqvist at 10th and McIlrath in the 7th round, today we would consider both great picks.” And before everyone starts getting mad, I know drafting is a crapshoot. There are very few instances where I point to a pick and say “that’s bad drafting.” The Dylan McIlrath pick is one example. And I have a feeling the other will probably be the LA pick. For instance, even if Kravtsov busts and never plays an NHL game, I will never consider that a bad pick. It was a very good pick at the time, albeit risky, but that’s what you get when you go for players with high ceilings (which should be the strategy when drafting). If it turns out that LA plays 100 career NHL games as a meh 4th liner and Kravtsov never even plays 1 game, it doesn’t matter. I still liked the Kravtsov pick better. The number of NHL games played is not a good indicator of drafting strategy imo.

*And before someone misunderstands what I’m saying, which is bound to happen, I still have high hopes for Kravtsov (not so much for LA, sorry).

If McIlrath and Lundqvist were in the same draft that would be a perfectly valid argument. Hell it could still be a valid "you win some you lose some argument". If you shit on the Rangers for McIlrath you better give them credit for Lundqvist. Well, they were 10 years apart so I don't know if the decision-makers were the same, the point is if they were.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
you can definitely see he's matured as a hockey player but I want to see some more production out of him only 2 assists so far.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If McIlrath and Lundqvist were in the same draft that would be a perfectly valid argument. Hell it could still be a valid "you win some you lose some argument". If you **** on the Rangers for McIlrath you better give them credit for Lundqvist. Well, they were 10 years apart so I don't know if the decision-makers were the same, the point is if they were.
Yea I knew someone would point out it’s different years but the point still stands.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ve watched Chytil set up Captain Happy and Strome countless times over the past couple weeks only for them to screw it up. That’s not going to last. I actually expect him to put up more assists than goals when he hits his prime. I think he’s a 25 goal guy 30 to 35 assist guy. At least.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the real question with Chytil at this point isn't whether he'll be a good player --- it's how good will he be.

Right now he definitely looks like has the potential to be a 25 goal, 60-65 point player. But can he be more than that? If he going to be a very good second line center/1A-1B type? Or can he take it up a level beyond that, not unlike what Zibanejad has done? Can he round out those other areas of his game at center?

Those will be the things to watch for this season and over the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad