Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only thing I really want to see from Fil is a simpler approach.

He's never going to be a dangler so I'd actually work to pull that out of his game than have him do more of it (or at least try to drill it into his head to pick his spots better) but he's been fine aside from the dip he had after coming back (probably a bit too soon) from his injury.

I'd lock him up for a bit this summer. He's a good bet to be a bargain on a 5-6 year deal.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The only thing I really want to see from Fil is a simpler approach.

He's never going to be a dangler so I'd actually work to pull that out of his game than have him do more of it (or at least try to drill it into his head to pick his spots better) but he's been fine aside from the dip he had after coming back (probably a bit too soon) from his injury.

I'd lock him up for a bit this summer. He's a good bet to be a bargain on a 5-6 year deal.

??? Most of his highlights are dangles. He almost had a sick goal just the other day off a dangle. I could see working with him to better pick his moments (like a lot of young players, he has trouble sometimes deciding when to dangle vs. when to make the safe/simple play), but to "pull that out of his game" altogether? That'd be a huge mistake in my opinion.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
??? Most of his highlights are dangles. He almost had a sick goal just the other day off a dangle. I could see working with him to better pick his moments (like a lot of young players, he has trouble sometimes deciding when to dangle vs. when to make the safe/simple play), but to "pull that out of his game" altogether? That'd be a huge mistake in my opinion.

how many times have we seen him unexessarily try to dangle someone over the last 3 years only to lose the puck?

it’s not taking it out of his game entirely, it’s about getting him to use them when necessary. Chipping the puck in and going after it is okay sometimes too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
how many times have we seen him unexessarily try to dangle someone over the last 3 years only to lose the puck?

it’s not taking it out of his game entirely, it’s about getting him to use them when necessary. Chipping the puck in and going after it is okay sometimes too.

As an outside observer I think you guys are on the same page with different phrasing.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Chytil is tied with Fox for 4th in ES points this season, behind Panarin, Zibanejad and Buchnevich.
His best moments with us in his career was when he played with Kreider and Buch when Mika was injuried.
I would stick him with Kreider in the future, it's not like Kreider will be on the top 6 for long with Lafreniere and Panarin on the team for the long term.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Chytil is tied with Fox for 4th in ES points this season, behind Panarin, Zibanejad and Buchnevich.
His best moments with us in his career was when he played with Kreider and Buch when Mika was injuried.
I would stick him with Kreider in the future, it's not like Kreider will be on the top 6 for long with Lafreniere and Panarin on the team for the long term.

I'd like to see him with Panarin for a bit, first. If Chytil can play well with Panarin (with Kakko or Krav on the right), then that makes the Strome decision that much easier.

Reactions: Kodiak

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Yeah, sounds like we are agreeing. It was that "pull that out of his game" verbiage that made me think you were calling for him to stop dangling altogether. It's all about balance and situation.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I just put together an interesting stat comparison of Chytil´s and Zbad´s first 3 seasons in NHL. As a fan of Chytil´s game, I hope to demonstrate to those of you that remain unconvinced that his ceiling is really a 1C/PPG player.

D+2 season:

Zibanejad 39 pts per 82, power-play pts: 4 (20 %), average TOI 13:34, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.106
Chytil
25 pts per 82, power-play pts: 7 (30.4 %), average TOI 13:47, pts per 60 min on ice: 1.335

D+3 season:

Zibanejad 39 pts per 82, power-play pts: 8 (24.2 %), average TOI 14:20, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.002
Chytil
31 pts per 82, power-play pts: 3 (13 %), average TOI 14:50, pts per 60 min on ice: 1.551

D+4 season:

Zibanejad 47 pts per 82, power-play pts: 14 (30.4 %), average TOI 16:26, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.099
Chytil
45 pts per 82, power-play pts: 0 (0 %), average TOI 13:07, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.556

Considering Chytil has literally 0 points from power play, his TOI is the lowest in his career and he had to go through a hand injury during the season which really slowed him down, his number are really remarkable.

I would really like to know what his numbers would have looked like this year if we had traded Strome in the offseason and/or if he got regular power play time.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I just put together an interesting stat comparison of Chytil´s and Zbad´s first 3 seasons in NHL. As a fan of Chytil´s game, I hope to demonstrate to those of you that remain unconvinced that his ceiling is really a 1C/PPG player.

D+2 season:

Zibanejad 39 pts per 82, power-play pts: 4 (20 %), average TOI 13:34, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.106
Chytil
25 pts per 82, power-play pts: 7 (30.4 %), average TOI 13:47, pts per 60 min on ice: 1.335

D+3 season:

Zibanejad 39 pts per 82, power-play pts: 8 (24.2 %), average TOI 14:20, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.002
Chytil
31 pts per 82, power-play pts: 3 (13 %), average TOI 14:50, pts per 60 min on ice: 1.551

D+4 season:

Zibanejad 47 pts per 82, power-play pts: 14 (30.4 %), average TOI 16:26, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.099
Chytil
45 pts per 82, power-play pts: 0 (0 %), average TOI 13:07, pts per 60 min on ice: 2.556

Considering Chytil has literally 0 points from power play, his TOI is the lowest in his career and he had to go through a hand injury during the season which really slowed him down, his number are really remarkable.

I would really like to know what his numbers would have looked like this year if we had traded Strome in the offseason and/or if he got regular power play time.
Didn’t even realize he was on pace for 45pts (actually 46, as it’s 45.8) he’s been quietly productive this year, I see a lot of people knocking him as if he’s had a poor season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Didn’t even realize he was on pace for 45pts (actually 46, as it’s 45.8) he’s been quietly productive this year, I see a lot of people knocking him as if he’s had a poor season.

He had a pretty rough stretch for a bit but he’s been good overall.

I really like him as a complementary piece. He’s like a really good Pouliot with out the dumb penalties.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I have a feeling he’s going to be traded and it will probably be a mistake. Hes done well in his limited role, but he only 21. Think he tops out at a very good 2nd line center

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I have a feeling he’s going to be traded and it will probably be a mistake. Hes done well in his limited role, but he only 21. Think he tops out at a very good 2nd line center

The demand for good offensive centers is huge. It's crazy how much trade ammo the Rangers have right now.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
If you are unconvinced of Chytil’s upside, rewatch the first period from tonight. That period, minus flubbing the empty net chance, was a #1C period. But then penalties start being called and he gets no special teams time and his momentum is derailed. So a fantastic game becomes a very good game.

I think we would have a much different opinion of Chytil if he did not spend so much time in the NHL already. If he spent more time in Europe and the AHL, and was just breaking in know, everyone would think he’s a budding star. But he’s spent his early years in the NHL so we got to see the sausage being made, and now it doesn’t look as appetizing to some.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you are unconvinced of Chytil’s upside, rewatch the first period from tonight. That period, minus flubbing the empty net chance, was a #1C period. But then penalties start being called and he gets no special teams time and his momentum is derailed. So a fantastic game becomes a very good game.

I think we would have a much different opinion of Chytil if he did not spend so much time in the NHL already. If he spent more time in Europe and the AHL, and was just breaking in know, everyone would think he’s a budding star. But he’s spent his early years in the NHL so we got to see the sausage being made, and now it doesn’t look as appetizing to some.

If we drafted him 7th and Lias in his spot I feel like we'd have a much better view of that draft. This has been said a few times and I agree 100%.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002

I'm convinced Chytil's being held back to save money on his next contract, and looking forward, I don't entirely blame them for doing it.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I'm convinced Chytil's being held back to save money on his next contract, and looking forward, I don't entirely blame them for doing it.
I really hope this is the case and that they won't trade Chytil. I really think this team as is can win 2-3 cups just with the pieces we have.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I really hope this is the case and that they won't trade Chytil. I really think this team as is can win 2-3 cups just with the pieces we have.
I think this post itself downplays just how hard it is to win one stanley cup, let alone 2-3 cups...

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
His puck possession has been much much better. It’s the difference between him being a Top 6 player and a good skill player that chips in every once in awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad