Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
he's also not a good hockey player at this level, so there's that

I don't know why I have to keep saying this. It's almost like no one can comprehend this or you're just refusing to.

The coach clearly does not agree with you. The coach of the best team in the division. The best team in the conference. The best team in the league. 5-0 in the playoffs.

I don't know if I am not explaining this correctly, but I also thought it was quite a simple premise. I have no clue why we are even discussing Rempe or really questioning what Lavi is doing right now.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
This week's paywalled content from the NY Post was supposed to be a playoffs mailbag with Larry Brooks. Well every question was about Filip. After reading it I would have to say that we're not going to see him play until the preseason.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I don't know why I have to keep saying this. It's almost like no one can comprehend this or you're just refusing to.

The coach clearly does not agree with you. The coach of the best team in the division. The best team in the conference. The best team in the league. 5-0 in the playoffs.

I don't know if I am not explaining this correctly, but I also thought it was quite a simple premise. I have no clue why we are even discussing Rempe or really questioning what Lavi is doing right now.
No, I don't take Lavi's dressing or not dressing him as evidence one way or another; he's not infallible. He is a good coach though, and he doesn't play Rempe in third periods because he's visibly a liability — and worse, a loose cannon who in his like 30 minutes of total play time over five games has somehow managed to take four minors. You can argue whether they're bad calls/he's being targeted, etc etc, but he's been rightfully identified as a goon/non-hockey-player in this league and is being treated as such.

all that said, just put in Chytil, he actually resembles an NHL hockey player

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nothing that coaches do baffles me more than when they insist on having a guy in the lineup, and then don't use that player because he's a liability. AV did it constantly with Glass. If you think he's a liability, why do you insist on him?

And we can sit here and just say "but Laviolette is a good coach." Fine, that doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he does.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This week's paywalled content from the NY Post was supposed to be a playoffs mailbag with Larry Brooks. Well every question was about Filip. After reading it I would have to say that we're not going to see him play until the preseason.
Eh, I think if there's an injury or the Rangers lose one, maybe two games in a series - that's when we'll see Chytil in there.

Reactions: bhamill

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Nothing that coaches do baffles me more than when they insist on having a guy in the lineup, and then don't use that player because he's a liability. AV did it constantly with Glass. If you think he's a liability, why do you insist on him?

And we can sit here and just say "but Laviolette is a good coach." Fine, that doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he does.
I also think it's clear that Laviolette sees a benefit of having him in the lineup, whether we agree with it or not, and that's worth more than having to double shift Kakko, Panarin or whoever else for a few shifts in the third. And also, it's not the worst thing in the world having good players play more late in games.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
If it wasn't going to happen with 100% certainty, they would just shut him down for the playoffs and avoid the questions about him.

No one even knows if FC is medically cleared to return to game action. He's practicing sure.

Here is a snippet of what Brooks wrote:

"All the speculation about a potential return is coming out of an absence of information. No one outside an inner circle within the organization knows anything or has any idea. There have been no clues dropped. It is all guesswork.

At this point, I don’t expect Chytil to return to the lineup at all. I think he’s out there skating for his mental wellness and to give him a platform off of which to enter training camp in September. I think he’s out there skating because he’s a member of the family and that’s how Laviolette families operate."

Reactions: CLW and Atax

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I also think it's clear that Laviolette sees a benefit of having him in the lineup, whether we agree with it or not, and that's worth more than having to double shift Kakko, Panarin or whoever else for a few shifts in the third. And also, it's not the worst thing in the world having good players play more late in games.
But if it's to the point where he has to be benched every third period then how much of a benefit is there? It's a bit contradictory.

Reactions: mas0764

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
No one even knows if FC is medically cleared to return to game action. He's practicing sure.

"All the speculation about a potential return is coming out of an absence of information. No one outside an inner circle within the organization knows anything or has any idea. There have been no clues dropped. It is all guesswork.

At this point, I don’t expect Chytil to return to the lineup at all. I think he’s out there skating for his mental wellness and to give him a platform off of which to enter training camp in September. I think he’s out there skating because he’s a member of the family and that’s how Laviolette families operate."
I could be wrong, but if he's cleared, he's cleared. I don't think he would be practicing in a non-contact jersey if he weren't cleared to play in games. I wouldn't discount the fact that Laviolette has guys like him and Wheeler skating with the team just to keep the opposition guessing, even if he has no plans of playing either.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I know he's practicing, but do we know if hes even healthy/game ready? They simply might be taking it slow due to the concussions. Might wanting to see how he feels after a few weeks of elevated practice. IDK. He should be playing if cleared to though.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I could be wrong, but if he's cleared, he's cleared. I don't think he would be practicing in a non-contact jersey if he weren't cleared to play in games. I wouldn't discount the fact that Laviolette has guys like him and Wheeler skating with the team just to keep the opposition guessing, even if he has no plans of playing either.

He might be cleared to practice, but not to play. Playing in the playoffs is not practicing. And Chytil is still technically on LTIR.

Reactions: Atax

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just don't know what a coach has to do to earn the benefit of the doubt.

Not only did we win our division. Not only did we win our conference. Not only did we win the entire league. His squad has won 5 in a row so far in the playoffs.

That always dumbfounded me - even the most decorated NHL coaches are treated as a complete morons in these parts if their choices somehow don't match 100% with what armchair HC / GM combo geniuses come-up with.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
But if it's to the point where he has to be benched every third period then how much of a benefit is there? It's a bit contradictory.
Maybe it is, coaches are odd but If he can come in a create chaos for the first two periods and that's good enough for him, whatever. Honestly, in a tight game I'd rather have some top 6, top 9 guys out there than Brod or whoever else is replacing Rempe in the lineup.

He might be cleared to practice, but not to play. Playing in the playoffs is not practicing. And Chytil is still technically on LTIR.
I don't know if there's a difference. You're either cleared to play or you aren't, medically speaking.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This is all just speculation by Brooks. It doesn't mean he is right.
He is medically cleared for contact and has been for some time. There's no difference in medical clearance between games and full-contact practices. Early on, I argued that he needed to get in game shape and build his confidence that he's not going to get injured again, but I have to imagine that we've reached that stage by now.

Chytil still being on LTIR means nothing. It's a formality. If and when they decide to put him in, they will take him off LTIR.

All that said, I don't know that he will play at all during the playoffs. No one does, except probably Lavi. Playing in an actual game now will probably be a lot better for him psychologically than waiting all summer to take that last step.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
That always dumbfounded me - even the most decorated NHL coaches are treated as a complete morons in these parts if their choices somehow don't match 100% with what armchair HC / GM combo geniuses come-up with.
GG was proven wrong about Laf so........

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe it is, coaches are odd but If he can come in a create chaos for the first two periods and that's good enough for him, whatever. Honestly, in a tight game I'd rather have some top 6, top 9 guys out there than Brod or whoever else is replacing Rempe in the lineup.

I don't know if there's a difference. You're either cleared to play or you aren't, medically speaking.
But it's Chytil.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
i think everyone is making good points.. A few of the penalties on Rempe have been reputation calls.. He does seem to have a lack of agility..what if a game goes to 2ot, he will get the stu bickle treatment, can you win a long overtime with only 11 forwards?

But at this point i think youve gotta trust laviotlette. Rempe has earned his spot in the line up.. i think this might be underappreciated as fans, but in a locker room i think it means something.

The hurricane players know when he is on the ice, while they are pro athletes, i think anyone would be scared/concerned when rempe is on the ice..

he doesnt always connect with a hit, but when he does, he seems to do some damage.. didnt rempe get chatfield pretty good, he looked dazed... its the playoffs, the canes are already down a few defenders, keep targeting the rest of their d..
Cuylle had that hit on Chatfield.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
But it's Chytil.
Maybe not for the role Lav wants them to play. Chytil is cleary a massive upgrade in the skill department but I don't want Chytil doing what Rempe is doing. We can argue the merits of having someone like that in the lineup but clearly the coach thinks it's important otherwise Johnny B would have been there to start the playoffs. I gotta say though, I'm loving this villain persona this team has taken on. It's something I haven't seen from a Rangers squad in a very long time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe not for the role Lav wants them to play. Chytil is cleary a massive upgrade in the skill department but I don't want Chytil doing what Rempe is doing. We can argue the merits of having someone like that in the lineup but clearly the coach thinks it's important otherwise Johnny B would have been there to start the playoffs. I gotta say though, I'm loving this villain persona this team has taken on. It's something I haven't seen from a Rangers squad in a very long time.
If he thinks it's that important, he should let him play. Having a guy in the lineup who can't take any minutes is going to wear guys out.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Larry doesn't know anything and the organization has already said they're not going to be discussing rosters with the media.

LTIR is meaningless at this point they can activate him whenever they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad