Recalled/Assigned: Filip Chytil & Lias Andersson

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I really don't see how Mittelstadt looks better in any way. He's older and in the NCAA. He has a higher ppg .88 compared to .68 for Chytil. Obviously higher ppg is better, but if the .68 is in the AHL compared to the .88 in NCAA and the AHL player is even younger, I don't know how thats any contest.

And even for NCAA comparisons - didn't Eichel put up like 70+ points in 40 something games as a freshman? He's a solid NHLer but not an elite player yet and he was significantly more productive than Mittlestadt as college freshman.

I really don't get the Mittlestadt hype levels. Is it that he's flashy and did well in the WJC? I don't see anything in his numbers to justify the way he's regarded.

Eichel is elite.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Eichel is elite.
I don't agree. He hasn't broken 60 points yet, that's not elite. Yeah, I know he projected over that twice now but I don't put so much weight in projections personally - if a guy never scores 60 but only plays 60 games a year, that's still a knock on the player and them missing 1/4 of the season repeatedly alters their value and effectiveness as a player.

Connor and Larkin also outscored CM by very large margins in their freshman years, neither is elite.

CM is a good prospect but "best prospect in hockey" as some have said is ridiculous and I don't think he's proven himself superior to Chytil.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't agree. He hasn't broken 60 points yet, that's not elite. Yeah, I know he projected over that twice now but I don't put so much weight in projections personally - if a guy never scores 60 but only plays 60 games a year, that's still a knock on the player and them missing 1/4 of the season repeatedly alters their value and effectiveness as a player.

Connor and Larkin also outscored CM by very large margins in their freshman years, neither is elite.

CM is a good prospect but "best prospect in hockey" as some have said is ridiculous and I don't think he's proven himself superior to Chytil.

What does Eichel's injury history have to with anything when you're comparing college production? Not like his injuries will transfer over to CM because CM's numbers are unfavorable to Eichel.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What does Eichel's injury history have to with anything when you're comparing college production? Not like his injuries will transfer over to CM because CM's numbers are unfavorable to Eichel.
He said Eichel is an elite player, I read that as him arguing Eichel is elite so CM having half of his freshman ppg is acceptable. I'm saying Eichel isn't elite, the guy hasn't broken 60 points. Yeah, he's projected to but he hasn't done it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

How many players Eichel's age or younger would you place higher on your elite scale?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He said Eichel is an elite player, I read that as him arguing Eichel is elite so CM having half of his freshman ppg is acceptable. I'm saying Eichel isn't elite, the guy hasn't broken 60 points. Yeah, he's projected to but he hasn't done it.

But Eichel's injury history is irrelevant when comparing their college production. You're projecting production for CM and Eichel's injury history has no bearing on that. I'm not a CM defendant, in fact the trolls on the prospect board that pretended it was laughable that Chytil would even be in the discussion made me kind of wishes he failed. Your argument is just illogical.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But Eichel's injury history is irrelevant when comparing their college production. You're projecting production for CM and Eichel's injury history has no bearing on that. I'm not a CM defendant, in fact the trolls on the prospect board that pretended it was laughable that Chytil would even be in the discussion made me kind of wishes he failed. Your argument is just illogical.
I didn't bring Eichel being elite or not up (edit: as being relevant to CM). Someone said Eichel is elite, I'm saying maybe not Imo it's hard to tell since he can't stay healthy. No bearing on CM whatsoever in my opinion.

My argument is just that guys like Eichel, Connor, Larkin, etc all produced drastically more in their freshman years. People are calling CM the best prospect in hockey. Imo, that title doesn't fit someone with his freshman production when good but not elite guys produced a ton more at the same age. I think that's perfectly logical.

I think CM is a very good prospect. I'm not saying he's not, I just don't buy into the level of hype.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not many - McDavid, Laine and Pastrnak off the top of my head. Does each age group need a certain number of elite players?

At this moment, I’d take those guys, plus Matthews, MacKinnon, Barzal, and Barkov for players early-20s or younger over Eichel.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Eichel is consider an elite player in my view - Kopitar has 88 pts now and he has been up there for me at least for several seasons when he was healthy, Phil Kessel, Nathan Mackinnon, Malkin, Matthews but he has only 53 pts. so far this season, Nikita K, Stamkos, and Alex Ovechkin.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I didn't bring Eichel being elite or not up. Someone said Eichel is elite, I'm saying maybe not Imo it's hard to tell since he can't stay healthy. No bearing on CM whatsoever in my opinion.

My argument is just that guys like Eichel, Connor, Larkin, etc all produced drastically more in their freshman years. People are calling CM the best prospect in hockey. Imo, that title doesn't fit someone with his freshman production when good but not elite guys produced a ton more at the same age. I think that's perfectly logical.

I think CM is a very good prospect. I'm not saying he's not, I just don't buy into the level of hype.

What are you talking about?

You are the one who said Eichel is not elite.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What are you talking about?

You are the one who said Eichel is not elite.
You're the one who brought up whether Eichel is or isn't elite as being relevant to CM. I simply said Eichel outproduced him drastically as a freshman, as did a number of other players who aren't even on Eichel's level.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You're the one who brought up whether Eichel is or isn't elite as being relevant to CM. I simply said Eichel outproduced him drastically as a freshman, as did a number of other players who aren't even on Eichel's level.

I never even mentioned CM.

You stated that Eichel was not elite.

I disagreed.

Now you say that you never said Eichel is not elite, when it's there for everyone to read.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I never even mentioned CM.

You stated that Eichel was not elite.

I disagreed.

Now you say that you never said Eichel is not elite, when it's there for everyone to read.
I thought you were saying Eichel is elite as being relevant to the topic of my post, which was CM. I took that as you saying Eichel is elite, therefore CM having way worse production isn't problematic. My mistake if that's not what you meant.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A healthy Eichel, with a better supporting cast, would get far more recognition than he does now.

Buffalo looks impressive down the middle right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Eichel has elite talent. But so did Nikolai Zherdev

Zherdev could score and rack up the points but I think Eichel has shown more than that guy ever did. He really has to drive the play for a very bad team if anything positive is to happen out there.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Eichel is elite.

Not until he takes his team to the playoffs and doesn't whine about his surroundings.

BUF sucks... Totally granted... Eichel isn't Hawerchuk to Conners Gretzky yet.

$10M per for a guy that hasn't hit 60 points is a BUF move.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eichel seems like a guy who needs to stay healthy. The symmetry of his point totals career wise is kinda scary right now though, lol

As a rookie in 81 games, 24-32-56
Sophmore in 61 games, 24-33-57
3rd year in 61 games, 24-32-56

Now he has a few more games to break that but still kinda funny

but yeah he's missed nearly 40 games in the past 2 years. If he can have a healthy season and not be the only real scoring threat on the Sabres I'm pretty sure he'll flirt with a point per game at least. He might not be 100+ point capable, hard to say IMO, Buffalo is really a tire fire that needs to get fixed.

As for Mittelstadt, I feel like he's getting the "look good at the WJC's get hyped like mad" treatment. Maybe he is super good but he might really need some time to figure it out against players bigger and older than him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Eichel seems like a guy who needs to stay healthy. The symmetry of his point totals career wise is kinda scary right now though, lol

As a rookie in 81 games, 24-32-56
Sophmore in 61 games, 24-33-57
3rd year in 61 games, 24-32-56
You beat me to this. :laugh:

Anyway, back on topic please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad