Player Discussion Filip Chytil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Being 19 and not skating hard to beat out an Icing; which led to a goal against. That's not an excuse

No one is questioning his potential but if Buch gets scratched for similar issues; it has to be applied to Chytil.

Quinn did take notice and put him on the 4th line.. Slightly redeemed himself with a PP goal .

We're talking about developing the player..

buchnevich is 4 years older and has been playing pro hockey for what 6 years now? there are very few 19 years olds that can keep up with the pace of the league over 82 games. even laine takes shifts at a time off

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Forget about his obvious stickhandling issues and strength, that can be worked on...

His perceived lack of effort against BOS is unacceptable. His IQ/game-sense/finding soft spots is suspect.

The only U20 players who are scoring at a higher rate than him in the NHL are Hischier (drafted 1st overall), Tkachuk (4th), Dahlin (1st), Kotkaniemi (3rd), Svechnikov (2nd), and Heiskanen (3rd). So he's the most productive teenager in the NHL that was drafted outside of the top 4. If that's not good enough for you from a guy that was drafted 21st overall...

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's amazing the mental gymnastics/parkour that come out to defend the golden child/fan-favorite prospect

I personally think Chytil will be a great player for us... but... BUT... HIS LACK OF EFFORT ON PLAYS SHOULD BE DEEMED UNACCEPTABLE.

There aren't tiers to these standards.. Quinn has made that evident.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
he does remind me of nash a lot when he's playing the wing. I think he'll become a better finisher as he matures and calms down. I think he's at worst a 50-60 pt player by his 22nd bday. that's 3 friggen years away mind you. by 25 he could be doing what Mika is doing

Yeah if Nash had hands like feet...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
there are very few 19 years olds that can keep up with the pace of the league over 82 games. even laine takes shifts at a time off

This makes no sense in the context of this conversation.

He had to half ass it on this one particular play bc it's an 82 game season? What?

Sometimes people reach way too far and way too hard to make excuses instead of admitting that a player (like every player, ever) messed up. I think you are doing that here

Laine is also a veritable connoisseur of taking plays off. When you make that comparison here, it suggests that Laine rarely takes plays off.

He's pretty much the worst young player you could have highlighted to make this point.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Forget about his obvious stickhandling issues and strength, that can be worked on...

His perceived lack of effort against BOS is unacceptable. His IQ/game-sense/finding soft spots is suspect.
Being 19 isn't a valid excuse for everything.. He should be hustling every shift
Being 19 and not skating hard to beat out an Icing; which led to a goal against. That's not an excuse

No one is questioning his potential but if Buch gets scratched for similar issues; it has to be applied to Chytil.

Quinn did take notice and put him on the 4th line.. Slightly redeemed himself with a PP goal .

We're talking about developing the player..

Then you get something like this which is wrongon so many levels

1) He should be held accountable if there is a play he significantly botches because of lack of effort, I agree.

2) Being 19 is not an excuse for his lazy play on that icing, I agree

But you are putting this forth as if he is on the same plane as Buch in terms of making lazy plays.

Buch has now had years of doing this. He messed up multiple times. Has CHytil done this multiple times? If so then where have you been to comment on it?

If it was just this game that stood out to you/this play that stood out to you, then it's wrong and silly to claim he is not being treated the same as Buch.

Again, Buch had mult screw ups before suffering the consequences. He also has a history.

Chytil has no history and has not repeatedly been making lazy plays.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So he sucks at...everything?

Great post, would read again.

Sike, it actually gave me brain damage.
Your brain damage is apparent

He has flaws in his game that go unnoticed because he's 19 and the golden child. We haven't have one of these since....

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Then you get something like this which is wrongon so many levels

But you are putting this forth as if he is on the same plane as Buch in terms of making lazy plays.

Buch has now had years of doing this. He messed up multiple times. Has CHytil done this multiple times? If so then where have you been to comment on it?

If it was just this game that stood out to you/this play that stood out to you, then it's wrong and silly to claim he is not being treated the same as Buch.

Again, Buch had mult screw ups before suffering the consequences. He also has a history.

Chytil has no history and has not repeatedly been making lazy plays.

You cannot have different tiers of standards for players. Something is wrong or its not.

As Quinn said, he can make mistakes but what's the intention? Quinn took notice and demoted him to the 4th line. Hopefully it's enough and doesn't become a theme.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
You cannot have different tiers of standards for players. Something is wrong or its not.
I said this already. Are you just restating it or did you not realize I said it? Or are you refusing to understand the following:

"Buch has now had years of doing this. He messed up multiple times. Has CHytil done this multiple times? If so then where have you been to comment on it?

Chytil has no history and has not repeatedly been making lazy plays."

In other words, if you give Buch 4 chances before scratching him and you give Chytil one chance then it is not equitable. Why would you want it to not be equitable? That undermines everything. Everything we are seeing suggests that scratching Chytl in this instance would NOT be equitable to what happened with Buch.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I said this already. Are you just restating it or did you not realize I said it? Or are you refusing to understand the following:

"Buch has now had years of doing this. He messed up multiple times. Has CHytil done this multiple times? If so then where have you been to comment on it?

Chytil has no history and has not repeatedly been making lazy plays."

In other words, if you give Buch 4 chances before scratching him and you give Chytil one chance then it is not equitable. Why would you want it to not be equitable? That undermines everything. Everything we are seeing suggests that scratching Chytl in this instance would NOT be equitable to what happened with Buch.

I'd hold Chytil to similar standards since he's a promising part of our future. Developing good habits. Don't let it get out of hand.

He was moved to the 4th line like Buch was. Hopefully it doesn't get to scratching him.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I’d love to see video of this “lazy” Play.

You know he may have no been skating hard to beat out the icing because it’s possible that there was no way that he’d beat it out?

Exactly

Plus Chytil WAS scratched? And I assume Quinn will do so again (or put him on the 4th line like he also has done) if he thought his effort isn't there. Chytil is not getting special treatment.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
People are really ****ing on one of the most promising players we have had in years.
Can people not enjoy anything??

Not like he scores point per game in the Juniors against kids not old enough to buy a beer. That would be an achievement. But playing regularly in the NHL at 19 is just not the same. If only he was running up stats in the BCHL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not like he scores point per game in the Juniors against kids not old enough to buy a beer. That would be an achievement. But playing regularly in the NHL at 19 is just not the same. If only he was running up stats in the BCHL.

Unfortunately, this is something that can’t be underestimated.

We love it when the kids beat up the competition at lower levels, but man do we take that slack away quickly as they turn pro.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only U20 players who are scoring at a higher rate than him in the NHL are Hischier (drafted 1st overall), Tkachuk (4th), Dahlin (1st), Kotkaniemi (3rd), Svechnikov (2nd), and Heiskanen (3rd). So he's the most productive teenager in the NHL that was drafted outside of the top 4. If that's not good enough for you from a guy that was drafted 21st overall...

Great post.

That really is eye opening. He’s a stud.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Can't criticize or talk about any concerns for the 19 year old golden child. He's a perfect prospect and 19. Have I mentioned he's 19. Just turned 19.

I see like a Jagr and Malkin but better and 19.

P.S. - I like Chytil. I think he could be a great player. I also see the flaws in his game; that if not corrected, he will not turn in to what we hope

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
buchnevich is 4 years older and has been playing pro hockey for what 6 years now? there are very few 19 years olds that can keep up with the pace of the league over 82 games. even laine takes shifts at a time off
I was reading in the Kravtsov thread and it made me think how impressive Chytil has been this year. He has flashed brilliance and basically been a slightly above average third liner all year as a 19 year old. And he’s always smiling or at least cool-looking when I see him on the bench. I may be projecting but I see a kid with things under control. So impressive. And every game he makes an impressive play. Not consistent and not dominant. But he is gutting it out and shining through even in the dog days. Really, I’m a fan.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad