Fighting In Hockey

Cable

Feb 13, 2010
Te begin with, I've been a fan of hockey (NHL) ever since I can remember, and even though I'm not from Philadelphia; I've been a proud long time Flyers supporter regardless on how they finish each year. In fact, it was their dedication, hard-work and the severe poundings they used to deliever to other teams on a nightly basis that brought me to the sport and have kept me entertained ever since.

Unfortunately, now that fighting has all but vanished this year, I'm having a hard time watching games now, and not just our team, but other's as well. I noticed that in the game against Pittsburgh a few nights ago. There was at least four occasions where we could have scraped over stupid hits from the Penguins and instead we backed off. I mean, even a couple of the games Friday night could have had some extra fireworks, but nothing came from those cheap shots.

So, my question is, can we please bring back fights again? It's ridiculous when Cody McLeod and Andrew Desjardins lead the league in that category. Seriously, bring back that old-school hockey feel that made most of us fans in the first place.

Does anyone else agree/disagree?

GarretWillhelmThe3rd

Sep 16, 2009
South Jersey
The game has evolved so much since those days that fighting has become a lost art. Not because hockey is soft or anything, but because the players have evolved. No longer are the days of 4th liners like Rosehill, Shelley, Brashear, Laraque, etc. but the new age guys that bring speed and grit and have talent. It's all about speed now. So naturally heavyweight goons don't appeal to the coaches when it comes time to make the lineups. Guys like Simmonds, Roussel, Komarov, heck even Rinaldo are the guys that bring speed/grit/edge/toughness to lineups now. So when the players are smaller and faster there will be less exciting old school fights.

To me though the game is 10x more appealing to new fans. It's quick, explosive, and dynamic more-so than ever right now. It's fun to watch.

However, I wouldn't mind more fighting as I am sure most of us wouldn't.

On the topic of Roussel...did anyone see his fight against Salvador of the Devils last night? Salvador can throw them. I don't think Roussel knew what he was getting into, but that was an exciting bout.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fighting would be fine if it didn't cause brain damage. CTE is no fun.

Why does it matter if Andrew Desjardins leads the league in fights? Because he can take a regular shift? That's how it's supposed to be.

The world changes. Change with it.

Addendum: Anyone know if that Tyler Dellow blog post about the 70s Flyers is around somewhere? The one with the video?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
There have been more fights over the last few years than there were in the two years immediately after the lockout.

Also:

before 1970: 0.4 or less Fights per game every year but 63-64. (0.43)
71-72: 0.43 Fights per game
72-73: 0.45 Fights per game
73-74: 0.48 Fights per game
74-75: 0.50 Fights per game
75-76: 0.55 Fights per game
76-77: 0.54 Fights per game
Average: 0.49

Identical to the number per game over the last 4 years (0.49)

From 77 to 98 we had a silly number of fights per game, culminating in over 1 per game from 84 to 92. But before and after then (77 to 98) there have generally been 0.4-0.65 fights per game each year of the NHL.

We are actually going back to the pre 1980's days when the tough guys in the NHL also had to be able to play hockey! Which is a good thing in my opinion.

Chris Neil, Tom Wilson, Patrick Maroon, Antoine Roussel, Matt Martin, Shawn Thornton, Ryan Reaves, Derek Dorsett, BJ Crombeen, Cody McLeod and Andrew Desjardins are the kind of guys who will be the fighters for the forseeable future, as they can put in a regular shift.

Occasionally you will have a guy like Brashear, Williams, Nilan, Probert, McSorley, Simon, Domi or Schultz come along who are tough as nails but can also put in a regular shift and hit 25-30 points a year or more.

Funny isn't it? All the most famous fighters and tough guys of all time could actually play hockey... and very few of them were over 6ft2, and very few would be considered 'heavyweights' as we know it today by size.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Back in the 70s, the rosters were shorter. There was no room for the goon.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I definitely enjoy seeing a good fight now and then, but by that I mean a Wayne Simmonds type of tilt, born out of being exchanging cross checks and borderline legal aggressions while battling in front of the net.

The thing that irks me the most about fighting in hockey is that it is still allowed at a junior level. If you want to eliminate goons for good, eliminate the ability for them to showcase their 'skills' at the age of 16. I think it's ridiculous that a 16 year old can be allowed to get punched in the face for barely minimum wage and risk injuries.

Fighting at the pro level is here to stay, and I'm OK with that, these guys are well compensated for the risk, just eliminate it in junior hockey.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Most hockey fights are silly, two guys pulling on sweaters until the refs pull them apart, if fights disappear, no loss.

In fact, eliminating fighting and ticky tack play, the tugs and hooks of slower players out of position, has made it a better game - still plenty of opportunities for clean hits, just have to be smart about it.

Guys like Rinaldo can have long futures hitting people left and right as long as they're disciplined enough to avoid charging and boarding and elbowing, and just use their speed and aggression to keep opponents honest. Guys who play the puck with their head down deserve what they get.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
There have been more fights over the last few years than there were in the two years immediately after the lockout.

Also:

before 1970: 0.4 or less Fights per game every year but 63-64. (0.43)
71-72: 0.43 Fights per game
72-73: 0.45 Fights per game
73-74: 0.48 Fights per game
74-75: 0.50 Fights per game
75-76: 0.55 Fights per game
76-77: 0.54 Fights per game
Average: 0.49

Identical to the number per game over the last 4 years (0.49)

From 77 to 98 we had a silly number of fights per game, culminating in over 1 per game from 84 to 92. But before and after then (77 to 98) there have generally been 0.4-0.65 fights per game each year of the NHL.

That's interesting; I didn't expect that to be the case. Honestly, I don't miss the extra fights. Nowadays when the play gets stopped during a rush or something for a fight behind the play, I get a little bummed.

I don't need the pre-determined fights before a faceoff or the retribution fights for clean, hard hits. When a player crosses the line on a hit/dirty play, then I'm all for it and I don't mind getting a "middleweight" bout instead of a heavyweight one.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Watching Jay Rosehill fight Colton Orr just doesn't do it for me these days. And I've always preferred fights like the one the other night where Couts got decked, and Umberger decided to step in and drop the gloves. To me, that's more "part of the game." Two guys lining each other up at the face-off circle just didn't feel like it effected the outcome of the game at all (and it didn't).

So, yeah, I don't want to see fighting removed ever. Hockey is an emotional sport, and part of what's fun about watching is following those emotional story lines. A good heated fight from a guy like Simmonds only adds to that. A bland, meaningless fight from Jay Rosehill felt like a distraction.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
If you're having a hard time watching the game without fighting, you probably aren't a fan of the actual game. You're a fan of sideshow antics. I like a good fight here and there if it's for a good reason but I also don't mind that it's starting to be phased out of the game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you're having a hard time watching the game without fighting, you probably aren't a fan of the actual game. You're a fan of sideshow antics. I like a good fight here and there if it's for a good reason but I also don't mind that it's starting to be phased out of the game.

Exactly. It's really just this simple.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Staged fights always suck anyway, whats the point of watching someone like Stortini get his face punched in every night when it has little to no impact on the game taking place.

I think heat of the moment scraps will always be around. I do enjoy those ones, pure emotion and competition mixed with a bit of frustration. Glorious

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Exactly. It's really just this simple.

Yeah. And I often try to encourage people I know to get into hockey and they all have the same damn stupid remarks about fighting and not being able to see the puck.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
You should watch more AHL games, at least Phantoms games.

Rosehill and Stortini get regular minutes and they always find a reason to fight.

Rosehill had a great bout last night

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I sure do miss seeing Cote lose every single fight for eternity.

Yeah. And I often try to encourage people I know to get into hockey and they all have the same damn stupid remarks about fighting and not being able to see the puck.

What I don't get about the fighting thing is that there' usually anywhere from zero to two fights a game. Fights also don't take up much time, at least not the actual fighting. The game also stops when fighting starts. There's 60 minutes of hockey as opposed to usually anywhere from zero to two minutes of fighting. I can't fathom anyone watching hockey just for fighting or not watching to avoid having to see it. It's a minuicule part of the game in terms of time distribution.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Te begin with, I've been a fan of hockey (NHL) ever since I can remember, and even though I'm not from Philadelphia; I've been a proud long time Flyers supporter regardless on how they finish each year. In fact, it was their dedication, hard-work and the severe poundings they used to deliever to other teams on a nightly basis that brought me to the sport and have kept me entertained ever since.

Unfortunately, now that fighting has all but vanished this year, I'm having a hard time watching games now, and not just our team, but other's as well. I noticed that in the game against Pittsburgh a few nights ago. There was at least four occasions where we could have scraped over stupid hits from the Penguins and instead we backed off. I mean, even a couple of the games Friday night could have had some extra fireworks, but nothing came from those cheap shots.

So, my question is, can we please bring back fights again? It's ridiculous when Cody McLeod and Andrew Desjardins lead the league in that category. Seriously, bring back that old-school hockey feel that made most of us fans in the first place.

Does anyone else agree/disagree?

I can't speak for anyone else but I started following the Flyers in 1967, had season tickets in the BSB years, and fighting never had anything to do with my becoming, and remaining, a fan.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Love a good fight. I know the tide seems to be changing, but there will always be a place for it in the sport. The response most people give is that they don't like the "staged fight" but a fight where tensions are flaring is ok. I like them both. If Jay Rosehill and another team's goon want to throw down to start their shift because someone took a run at Giroux, how is that any different than if Jay Rosehill goes after the guy who hit Giroux? This way, Rosehill and the other goon can duke it out and Giroux and whomever hit Giroux (in all likelihood a player that would have no business fighting Rosehill) don't miss a shift.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
This is a ruggedly beautiful sport, thanks to the speed, skill, aggression and the ability for players to police the sport. I think for the better, the speed and skill have taken the front seat in hockey, requiring a full line up of useful players, not just a wasted 4th line of fighters.

Fighting will always be in the sport, but never as much as it once was...and that's also for the better. So I disagree with the OP

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Back in the 70s, the rosters were shorter. There was no room for the goon.

Missed this post the first time, but I'd say the salary cap is creating the same situation. You have a limited amount of money, burning some of it on a guy who's only good at throwing and taking punches is not a good idea. Rosters aren't as small, but they have to be used efficiently now.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I can't believe I'm saying this, I used to love fighting, but now I really wouldn't care too much if fighting eventually was completely eliminated. It's just not very interesting and more than not a distraction from what I want to see

Ideally, fighting sticks around but in a much more diminished way, as the current trend is going

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Lots of soft fans here, what's the matter now flyers fan becoming soft like your team? hockey was much better before the 2004 lockout. Guys like orr and rosehill should comeback otherwise less people are gonna watch hockey especially in the states. everybody should watch the isles-leafs playoffs of 2002 it was a beauty, especially the cairns-corson fight, americans love that give them what they want, quit being hypocrite fellow flyers fans.

Ya know what else they love? A Stanley Cup championship, something enforcers wont get you. You're stuck in the past.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lots of soft fans here, what's the matter now flyers fan becoming soft like your team? hockey was much better before the 2004 lockout. Guys like orr and rosehill should comeback otherwise less people are gonna watch hockey especially in the states. everybody should watch the isles-leafs playoffs of 2002 it was a beauty, especially the cairns-corson fight, americans love that give them what they want, quit being hypocrite fellow flyers fans.

Go watch the minor leagues.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

zl8Be3w.gif

You just made yourself look real dumb. :laugh:

Log off and forget your password.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

:laugh:

I bet you're a blast to sit near during games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad