"Fighting in Hockey is Dumb"

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Where did I say I dont like fighting?

Youre totally missing my point.
no you are missing the point, things that are rare in sports ( and the news) generally are newsworthy. A guy scores a hat trick, they lead with that. A golaie goes on a shutout streak, they lead with that. you ask any one of the people who were at the ducks kings game about what happened, how many you think DON'T talk about the three fights to start a game ? When was the last time the NHL had three fights in three seconds ?

and if you " like fighting" why did you exclude it from " actual hockey plays"? because this is a classic artifice employed by the anti fighting crowd, that ( despite the unrefutable historical evidence) " fighting is not part of the game". Fighting IS part of the game, and if they don't like it, i suggest that they turn their heads rather than invoke some revisionist nonsense that aligns with " what they would like"

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Yes it's dumb and we should get rid of it. I like the physicality and players do know something serious can happen in a hockey game. But bare knuckle boxing on ice? We don't need that. I know it's not that popular of an opinion but whatever, that's what I really think.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't mind fighting, but it's dumb to think you need fighters or that it has any impact on the result of the game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Most fights in hockey are dumb, which is why it's a good thing it's going down.

The few fights that actually serve a purpose are still there for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Epsilon

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Most fights in hockey are dumb, which is why it's a good thing it's going down.

The few fights that actually serve a purpose are still there for obvious reasons.

on other words fights go up, fights go down but the likelihood of fights ever going away completely, is pretty slim.

fighting is near an all time low and STILL when we have a good scrap or two the chicken littles are all out telling everyone that the sky is falling and that the game would be so much better if the players abandoned their position and took up the one that maximizes their enjoyment.

players don't fight for people in the stands, this isn't the federal league.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
The kind of fighting Boll and MacDermid do, yeah that's kind of dumb but i don't know how anyone watching hockey would think Bieksa v Andreoff was dumb. Andreoff had something to prove from last time, Bieksa obliged, they had a spirited scrap and pats on the back at the end. Air cleared and you just know it's over now, not bad blood there. Good stuff all around.
Boll was just called and responding to a previous hit. Just because he's a enforcer you have to shit on him. He s a good forchecker who knows his role.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Fighting came into hockey at a time when there was one referee, players were normal people, and they didn't have video review from multiple cameras to help in doling out suspensions. Things have changed, and it would be best for players' health to ban fighting. No one can say the Olympics or WJHC aren't exciting because there are no fights and no emotion. The game of hockey is exciting in and of itself without MMA being mixed into it.
Look at all the enforcers who had brain injuries that prematurely ended their lives. Can you say your entertainment was worth it?

I think fighting plays a big role in the game. It can shift momentum. It can rile up a crowd. But the threat to the players is simply not worth it, and the NHL has better ways of enforcing discipline among players.
I'll say the world juniors aren't exciting. The Olympics can be but usually isn't. I watch a lot of Olympic sports just for pride like bobsled and curling would I watch a league of those sports hell no

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
As a few have said, I hate staged fighting. When emotions run high and two players are working hard and things boil over? Have at it. Otherwise, dropping the gloves when there's a face off is lame and cheesy.
No such thing as a staged fight. Just because it happens off a face off and guys have a fair square off to make sure no one gets the jump or extra penalty doesn't make it staged

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
The kind of fighting Boll and MacDermid do, yeah that's kind of dumb but i don't know how anyone watching hockey would think Bieksa v Andreoff was dumb. Andreoff had something to prove from last time, Bieksa obliged, they had a spirited scrap and pats on the back at the end. Air cleared and you just know it's over now, not bad blood there. Good stuff all around.
That was because Mac creamed Kase......

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I often find myself wondering how those types land themselves on my television screen, ostensibly talking about sports for a living. It's frustrating.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They did what needed to be done. Eliminated the need to employ skaters who's largest asset was their ability to fight. The players today make it based solely on their effectiveness as players.

Most of these guys are not afraid to fight if it comes to it and some welcome it. So all you pansies that want to tell NHL players and the league how they should play the game and how they should hold each other accountable should go watch tennis if it bothers you. Nobody has to do it . It's the way of our game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad