Fighting in Beer Leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeskog

Jul 16, 2009
Burlington,On,CA
250$ for what? I play 125$ for my ball hockey league but that covers refs, rinks, jersey, time keepers, and the time keepers party.

How much you pay is not the point. It's the fact people actually fight during ball hockey, roller hockey and ice hockey games. WHAT THE BLOOD BLEEP IS THAT. It's about having fun and a good time, not going out there to hurt people or fight them. I've seen fights breakout in my league but it's the one moron that continues the hunt after the game that really annoy me.

I remember playing of the better teams in the league and we beat them. My team is the wrost or pretty damn close to it. Well, they have some hot heads on the team and strted stuff with with one of players who scored on them. Needless to say, we don't have meatheads on our team. So, my buddy, his brother and myself go out on the floor, with 2 of the older guys. This methead comes charging down the floor like raging bull and shoulder/elbows my defence partner, who goes down like a sack of apples. So, after this happens one of the other goons comes by and two-handed swings at the back of my leg. So, on the shift I back out with the guy who gave me the wack. He comes running down the left wing side(my side) and doesn't see me. They cross over the blue line and he called for the ball and he running closer and closer to the boards the pass is coming BANG it's was like shades of Darius Kasparaitis on the hit check, buddy goes up and over and now his goony 6'4 260 meathead buddy comes running at me dropping his gloves, so, I drop my stick and drop my gloves to give him the ide i'm going to chuck of knukles but next you know drop toe hold and his falls and wonders what the hell. So i get kicked out, he is kicked out and raging and his buddy is kicked out. So after the game he is already outside waiting for me to come out and buddy has a baseball and tells me he is going to BLEEP me up. So I tell him to caim the bleep down and how he is just getting even more pissed, so he takes a swing with the bat and misses, I'm not sure how he missed but I'm glad he did. So, then his buddies grab him and walk him off to his car and my buddy, his brother and myself hurry off to our car and take off and go meet the boys for some suds. Info that maybe helpful here is i'm at 5'10 and have some size to me. Buddy and bat 6'4 250-270 and his buddy i hip checked 6'1 and 240. I also a Score/Time keeper at the time. So, I get a email about from the head of the league and just asked me what happened. 6'4 moron got 5 games and his buddy got a 1 game and i got 2 games(which i got to do time keeping for so it was all good).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The refs aren't paid to break up fights, rather they are told to stay out of them. When you've reffed for a few years and had to put up with the crap that officials take you can come back and give us your opinion then. Until then, just skate at half speed for a minute at a time, get off the ice and sit for 6 minutes and tell us how hard it is to do their job.

Part of the reason why I'm pretty laid back with the refs. I remember one time I was chatting with the ref about what he saw on a play and asked him why he called what he called. He explained to me his reasoning. The time keeper called the ref over, told him to call a penalty for delay of game because I wasnt captain or an assistant(rules state in my league only the captain and assistants can talk to the ref about a call). The ref said "no" because I was the only one on the ice that he can have a calm conversation with without conflict(needless to say, I have had 4 penalty minutes in my two years of being in a bar league; one for too many men which i served and they gave to me and the other for unsportsmanlike conduct for swearing(which was a misunderstanding; I slammed my finger in the players door)).

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I'll do you guys one better. Two guys almost went to blows in an Instructional League class a couple weeks ago. To give you a background the class is made up guys with a pretty wide skill level. We do a bunch of high speed drills and small games and then we have a scrimmage at the end.

During last week's scrimmage two guys were battling behind the net during the scrimmage, it got a little intense and then they started pushing, then finally they dropped their gloves and took their helmets off. A few other guys from the class stepped in and broke it up before it went any further.

Fighting during class, really? There are for sure a lot of "sweet" dudes in these classes but I never expected to see that.

We got reemed out by the guy who runs the class this last Friday, telling us if our gloves even fall off during the class we are banned from the rink for 6 months. He said if we have issues with our gloves falling off go and get those little mitten clips we had on our coats as kids.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
My team pays $6500 for a season, not counting jerseys, socks, or practices. You're damn right we try hard every single game. We also don't tolerate stupidity; if someone wants to yap and fight, they're off the team.

Yeah I can't believe how cheap some places are to play. My team pays $4500 for a 15 game season. We have 3 per year so that is $13,500 per year. That also does not include anything but the ice time, scorers, and refs. If you make the playoffs you obviously pay more.

There is a huge difference between playing hard and playing dirty. Take the game as serious as you want but there is no room for an enforecer in any beer league. I think a huge issue in my league and probably others is that the guys who have no skill try to make up for it by being physical. That always leads to altercations.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
My team pays $6500 for a season, not counting jerseys, socks, or practices. You're damn right we try hard every single game. We also don't tolerate stupidity; if someone wants to yap and fight, they're off the team.

Yeah I can't believe how cheap some places are to play. My team pays $4500 for a 15 game season. We have 3 per year so that is $13,500 per year. That also does not include anything but the ice time, scorers, and refs. If you make the playoffs you obviously pay more.
There is a huge difference between playing hard and playing dirty. Take the game as serious as you want but there is no room for an enforecer in any beer league. I think a huge issue in my league and probably others is that the guys who have no skill try to make up for it by being physical. That always leads to altercations.
Wow, to me those costs are nuts; for a team in our league including ice time, officials, scorekeeper and jerseys it costs 1500.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The $6500 is for 20 games (plus free playoffs if you qualify) with two refs and a scorekeeper. Pickup is $15 around here so it's only about 50% more to play real hockey instead of screwing around and not trying at all.

If I want to get on the ice and screw around and not try, I'll do it for free in the winter outside or pay $7 for stick and puck ;)

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
The $6500 is for 20 games (plus free playoffs if you qualify) with two refs and a scorekeeper. Pickup is $15 around here so it's only about 50% more to play real hockey instead of screwing around and not trying at all.

If I want to get on the ice and screw around and not try, I'll do it for free in the winter outside or pay $7 for stick and puck ;)

I lied; it's 2800 per team for 12 games and playoffs.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
My favorite is when two idiots wearning cages start punching each other in the cage. Wind up on the ground like two monkeys humping the proverbial football.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
Whoops I should also add that's for 15 skaters plus a goalie per team. It ends up being $475 including the annual $40 USA hockey registration, which is $22 per game.

15 skaters? Do you play 1 hour games or are they longer? I played in the women's league a number of years and it was usually about $400 a season for 25 games plus playoffs. Our games were only an hour so we carried 10-12 skaters with some on-call subs available.

I've only seen one fight in women's hockey, and it was during a beginners clinic that I was asked to help out at. I laughed so hard.... it was two women who could barely skate attempting to punch each other but they kept falling down. It was ridiculous.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
3x 17 minute periods stop time (usually 90 minutes). We try to run 3 full lines and 3 D pairings but sometimes we're short 1-2 D.

Nice. Everything else you mentioned -- number of players, total cost, approx cost per game ($22) -- is the same for the league I play in, except that the periods are 12-10-10 stop time.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Nice. Everything else you mentioned -- number of players, total cost, approx cost per game ($22) -- is the same for the league I play in, except that the periods are 12-10-10 stop time.

Yikes, that's some awful ice time. The league I play in is approx $27 a game (too high for my liking and will probably be my last year there) and the periods are 10-15-"whatever's left" usually anywhere from 15-20. First two periods are stop time, the third is running except for the last two minutes if it's a close game. Sometimes we get 10-15-10 and I'm just fed up with the lack of ice time, considering there's another league in the same area that has 20-20-20 running time and it ends up being way more ice time, for a few dollars less per game. I'm going there!

nesford2457

Feb 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I can tell you've never referee'd before...

Most of the time these leagues only have 1 referee on the ice, you really expect him to try and break up a brawl or two guys going at it?

Yes i have, but it was low level young age (4-12 yrs old) so it was nothing like beer league. Where I play we have to have 2 reffs at every game. Notice you omitted the comment about them being over paid. Guess we can agree on one thing :)

nesford2457

Feb 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The refs aren't paid to break up fights, rather they are told to stay out of them. When you've reffed for a few years and had to put up with the crap that officials take you can come back and give us your opinion then. Until then, just skate at half speed for a minute at a time, get off the ice and sit for 6 minutes and tell us how hard it is to do their job.

SHOW ME RIGHT ******* NOW ON USA HOCKEY.COM WHERE IT SAYS ANY REF IN ANY LEAGUE SHOULD NOT BREAK UP A FIGHT!!!! THEN TURN YOUR ATTENTION TO MY PREVIOUS COMMENT ON HOW THEY GET PAID TO BE THERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Believe it or not my league is 250 per player as well. Supposedly you get to keep the team jerseys which are practice rags anyway; I never got one. I'd buy my own but what if I'm playing for a different team next year? I'm currently wearing a Dynamo Russian Grabovski #84 :laugh:
Looks cool and intimidating but I can't back it up with my play.

I play HNA, it's $420 per skater.. Grant it that it's run quite different from your average beer league/house league. We travel to all the rinks in the area, every team has to have matching home/away jerseys and socks,etc. Jerseys with stitched on logo,name/number on the back and number on the sleeves cost $172.

20 games, 3-15minute (stopped clock) periods plus playoffs. My team went to Toronto last May and won nationals up there and will be going back this May (auto invite).

nesford2457

Feb 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I find it hard to believe their making $30 a game unless it's a high school league game or college game. Not a "beer league" game.

I reffed youth (8&u-high school) for awhile a couple of summers ago and I tried to break up one fight in a high school game, BOTH myself and my partner got jacked during the fight. Needless to say that was the last time I tried to stop a fight.

Performax Hockey Buffalo New York

$33 from each team for the refs<-----------
$9 from each team for the score keeper

716-418-2098

call them and ask yourself

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I play HNA, it's $420 per skater.. Grant it that it's run quite different from your average beer league/house league. We travel to all the rinks in the area, every team has to have matching home/away jerseys and socks,etc. Jerseys with stitched on logo,name/number on the back and number on the sleeves cost $172.

20 games, 3-15minute (stopped clock) periods plus playoffs. My team went to Toronto last May and won nationals up there and will be going back this May (auto invite).

That sounds first class! Traveling beer league team with all matching unis...
We're lucky if we have 8 guys skating for our team on some nights, with maybe 3/4 with the same colored jerseys. Even though we end up playing iron man hockey with 16 min. periods and a short team, there is always a fresh sheet of ice and the beer afterwards is always cold. :yo:

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
SHOW ME RIGHT ******* NOW ON USA HOCKEY.COM WHERE IT SAYS ANY REF IN ANY LEAGUE SHOULD NOT BREAK UP A FIGHT!!!! THEN TURN YOUR ATTENTION TO MY PREVIOUS COMMENT ON HOW THEY GET PAID TO BE THERE.

Ever hear the old saying about not saying anything and having people think you're a fool and then opening your mouth and removing all doubt...........

I'm currently a level 3 USAH ref, gotta go with what we're taught in all those classes we have to attend.

The rules don't say anything about not breaking up fights, they also don't say anything about driving drunk or picking your nose in public. Your point is??

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
I'll do you guys one better. Two guys almost went to blows in an Instructional League class a couple weeks ago. To give you a background the class is made up guys with a pretty wide skill level. We do a bunch of high speed drills and small games and then we have a scrimmage at the end.

During last week's scrimmage two guys were battling behind the net during the scrimmage, it got a little intense and then they started pushing, then finally they dropped their gloves and took their helmets off. A few other guys from the class stepped in and broke it up before it went any further.

Fighting during class, really? There are for sure a lot of "sweet" dudes in these classes but I never expected to see that.

We got reemed out by the guy who runs the class this last Friday, telling us if our gloves even fall off during the class we are banned from the rink for 6 months. He said if we have issues with our gloves falling off go and get those little mitten clips we had on our coats as kids.

Not sure it gets any worse than that. And I thought the fighting in pickup was bad... fighting while you're in an instructional class? That's crazy! I've gone to a few classes like that around me and everyone's really even keeled, nice, and supportive of eachother. Last time I went there was a 70 year old guy in a wind breaker who was just learning to skate, it was awesome to see him out there :laugh:

BluelineHammer

Jan 20, 2010

A little bit of web rage you think?

I think it's not as black and white as just staying out of it for a ref. If a fight breaks out and guys are throwing punches, I'd want to stay out of it as well, and they should. There is no reason why a ref should have to step into a fight to try to break it up. The two guys throwing are being morons, let their team mates break them up. BUT I will say this: fights rarely just happen out of the blue, they happen for a reason. Guys get chippy and rough before they get to dropping gloves. Sometimes there is history between players or team that might lead them to a fight. It IS the refs job to control the two of them before it gets to a fight. If guys are getting very physical and chippy and you see things possibly escalating then as a ref you need to blow the whistle and step in there and send both of them off to cool down, as well as remind them to back off of each other and tell them that you will not tollerate what they are doing. It is a refs job to have control of the game, and if you notice that things are getting ab bit out of hand, then it is your job to step in before a fight breaks out.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Wow, to me those costs are nuts; for a team in our league including ice time, officials, scorekeeper and jerseys it costs 1500.

Yeah the prices are pretty steep, but unfortunately the demand is very high. The rink I play at is one of two in Chicago proper that has leagues. Both are run by the same guy. You can better prices in the burbs, but most people want to play in the city. We have 15 games with 3 15 min periods. It is $350 per guy for the season.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Refs out here in our league make $30 a game and they do step in on fights, at least every one that I've seen. Depending on the severity of the fight, it can be a suspension from 1 to 10 games. I know at least one guy who was suspended for the entire season last year because he topped off his antics with some gay slurs directed at the refs.

Upper divisions are 15 min stop time periods, lower are 17 min running time. Most teams run 2-3 lines and 2 D pairings. Season cost (22 games plus playoffs) is $450-650, depending on how many players are on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad