Fighters Pick Gaethje over Khabib

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it’s more of a legacy builder in khabibs own brain than it is to anybody else. We all know he openly considers GSP the goat and I think he just wants to try his luck against him. At 155 he probably smashes GSP

I doubt it would be 165 for the reasons you outlined @pistolpete11- Dana quickly shoots it down every time he gets asked about that division- but he did say it would be something big for 30-0 and I just don’t see what he could give Khabib other than GSP and I think 165 would be an ideal middle ground for both of them.

Again Dana probably never allows it at 165 but hey, maybe he’s just keeping the 165 idea on ice because he wants to surprise people with this supposedly big plan for Khabib’s final fight. I’d say there is a 10% chance. Let a man dream!

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If Gaethje can keep it in the middle of the octagon and presses forward, then I like his chances. If he starts backing up, it's game over for him.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Just to clarify, I'm 100% opposed to a 165 pound division. I just meant specifically for the Khabib-GSP matchup. That fight's big enough without needing some gimmicky belt.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think it’s more of a legacy builder in khabibs own brain than it is to anybody else. We all know he openly considers GSP the goat and I think he just wants to try his luck against him. At 155 he probably smashes GSP

I doubt it would be 165 for the reasons you outlined @pistolpete11- Dana quickly shoots it down every time he gets asked about that division- but he did say it would be something big for 30-0 and I just don’t see what he could give Khabib other than GSP and I think 165 would be an ideal middle ground for both of them.

Again Dana probably never allows it at 165 but hey, maybe he’s just keeping the 165 idea on ice because he wants to surprise people with this supposedly big plan for Khabib’s final fight. I’d say there is a 10% chance. Let a man dream!
I say be prepared to be let down, whatever it is. Any time the UFC tries to build up something that is out of the ordinary, it's usually a let down for one reason or another. Fight Island with an octagon on the beach! Oh, it's Abu Dhabi where they have already been and the octagon on the beach is for practice and nobody uses it. Brand new belt to determine the Baddest Mother f***er in the game with 2 of the UFC's biggest stars! Oh, it's stopped early due to a new commission being afraid of a cut. Glimpses of UFC in gold with a bunch of different flags, here it is, 8-man tournament for the inaugural 165lb belt! Oh, it's just a redesigned belt that most people don't even like compared to the old one. BOOM Brock Lesnar is back! Oh, Ariel already leaked it.

When they want to blow out a card, they usually can, UFC 200 notwithstanding, but when there is something 'special' it's a let down more often than not.

That's why I'm keeping my expectations low. Something like an event in Dagestan. It would mean something to Khabib and it might be kind of cool, but it's also not worth all the hype and speculation around it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I say be prepared to be let down, whatever it is. Any time the UFC tries to build up something that is out of the ordinary, it's usually a let down for one reason or another. Fight Island with an octagon on the beach! Oh, it's Abu Dhabi where they have already been and the octagon on the beach is for practice and nobody uses it. Brand new belt to determine the Baddest Mother f***er in the game with 2 of the UFC's biggest stars! Oh, it's stopped early due to a new commission being afraid of a cut. Glimpses of UFC in gold with a bunch of different flags, here it is, 8-man tournament for the inaugural 165lb belt! Oh, it's just a redesigned belt that most people don't even like compared to the old one. BOOM Brock Lesnar is back! Oh, Ariel already leaked it.

When they want to blow out a card, they usually can, UFC 200 notwithstanding, but when there is something 'special' it's a let down more often than not.

That's why I'm keeping my expectations low. Something like an event in Dagestan. It would mean something to Khabib and it might be kind of cool, but it's also not worth all the hype and speculation around it.

You’re right, the fights definitely gonna be in Russia (or maybe more specifically Dagestan) and that’s probably the surprise

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
GSP will be 40 by the time the fight happens and will have fought once in over 7 years. I don't really have much interest in the fight, not entirely sure what the appeal is.

this. Some might but I have no interest in this. GSP didnt look great against Bisping who was finished at that time as well.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
if there's anybody that can beat Khabib, it's probably Gaethje. Fundamentally, Khabib's game is all about forcing his opponent to the cage. If Gaethje can force Khabib on the back foot, we have a fight. If not, Khabib just dominates

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
this. Some might but I have no interest in this. GSP didnt look great against Bisping who was finished at that time as well.
Yeah I watched this fight again recently and it definitely went differently than I remembered. I seemed to think GSP pretty much had his way with Bisping til the finish but Bisping definitely had his moments where he was busting GSP up.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yeah I watched this fight again recently and it definitely went differently than I remembered. I seemed to think GSP pretty much had his way with Bisping til the finish but Bisping definitely had his moments where he was busting GSP up.

I remember Bisping was starting to take over the fight as GSP was starting to gas, but of course in Bisping fashion, he had to take a counter left hook.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
GSP did have colitis and he had a rough time bulking up. I think he does better at a lower weight, but he is also even older now. I personally don't want to see it and part of that is also cause I love GSP and I'd rather he stay retired on top.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I think the 'something special' is probably his dad getting inducted in the HOF. His dad was a legendary trainer and was a big leader of the Dagestani/Caucasus region MMA movement.

Dana didn't put a qualifier on this surprise by saying that only if Khabib wins etc so I don't think it's to do with an actual fight or anything like that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the 'something special' is probably his dad getting inducted in the HOF. His dad was a legendary trainer and was a big leader of the Dagestani/Caucasus region MMA movement.

Dana didn't put a qualifier on this surprise by saying that only if Khabib wins etc so I don't think it's to do with an actual fight or anything like that.

This is what I was thinking about too. The only thing is that he really doesn't deserve to be in the HOF based on merit so I'm not sure if they would do it.

I think I've settled on card in Dagestan or some sort of Fight Apex over there named after his Dad as likely options.

I will also add that I am wrong every time I try to guess these kind of things.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Khabib's grueling pace will be a problem for GSP but outside of that, I don't see too many red flags even though the ideal window has passed. I'd still lean towards GSP in the early rounds, he's the more skilled fighter, and in theory, a nightmare matchup from a style POV. Despite being nearly 40, I think GSP outpoints Khabib on the feet and will be able to keep the fight standing until gas tank comes into play.

I don't favor GSP like I used to in this bout, but for me it's still EASILY the most intriguing and difficult matchup for Khabib (should he get by Gaethje) outside of contenders at 170. Have zero interest in Conor's spot picking being rewarded, and the Ferguson ship may have sailed. Khabib has conquered some great fighters but I don't see how you could put any of them above GSP in terms of intrigue or competitiveness when it comes to facing Khabib.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Fight going happen tonight. Khabib is the favorite though Gae really good dismantling Ferguson. If the match ends up on the mat against the cage that’s it for GAe even with his wrestling background, Khabib technique looks so relentless I can’t see anyone escaping it. I think the only way to combat it is too have a good ground game as well

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad