Fighter Pay Thread

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Luke would be making $13/hr doing construction work 6-8 months a year if he Didn't have fighting.

And he's not good looking, or relevant enough as an MMA fighter, to be a long-term successful model.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
From what I can tell, he was making 75/75 before the Wideman fight. He made 250k to get knocked out by Bisping. Even if they cut him to 150k, cry me a river. Everybody wants the 500k+ pay days but no one wants to work for them.

I DO think fighters are underpaid, but guys who win one title fight, and expect to be millionaires immediately (Rockhold/Woodley), just tick me off. Please sir, tell me how a 100k+++ payday is garbage, us simple folk love to hear that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Internet: Whatever time you spend worrying or crying about fighter pay, devote that time into something that will make more money for you and your own family.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
From what I can tell, he was making 75/75 before the Wideman fight. He made 250k to get knocked out by Bisping. Even if they cut him to 150k, cry me a river. Everybody wants the 500k+ pay days but no one wants to work for them.

I DO think fighters are underpaid, but guys who win one title fight, and expect to be millionaires immediately (Rockhold/Woodley), just tick me off. Please sir, tell me how a 100k+++ payday is garbage, us simple folk love to hear that.

You don't think a top 5 MW who's a former champion deserves 200k per? I do. PVZ just mentioned her salary, as have others recently like Cowboy. MMA pay is a big deal.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
You don't think a top 5 MW who's a former champion deserves 200k per? I do. PVZ just mentioned her salary, as have others recently like Cowboy. MMA pay is a big deal.

Mighty Mouse gets 190k to fight and win. Now that's someone who deserves more, Rockhold just doesn't have the fanbase to earn big, yet. 150k is nothing to scoff at, say he fights 3 times a year, that's 450k plus his sponsorships (he's sponsored by adidas), bonus' and any other money that stems from his career. Your looking at 5-600k a year. Not exactly chump change, for someone who isn't a champion and isn't a fan favourite.

There is something to be said about fighter pay for sure. I just don't think guys like Rockhold and Woodley are exactly in dire straights atm.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Mighty Mouse gets 190k to fight and win. Now that's someone who deserves more, Rockhold just doesn't have the fanbase to earn big, yet. 150k is nothing to scoff at, say he fights 3 times a year, that's 450k plus his sponsorships (he's sponsored by adidas), bonus' and any other money that stems from his career. Your looking at 5-600k a year. Not exactly chump change, for someone who isn't a champion and isn't a fan favourite.

There is something to be said about fighter pay for sure. I just don't think guys like Rockhold and Woodley are exactly in dire straights atm.

You're forgetting about A LOT of the expenses of each camp, gym dues, nutrition, doctors, etc...

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
You're forgetting about A LOT of the expenses of each camp, gym dues, nutrition, doctors, etc...

Like I said, there is something to be said about fighter pay, but guys making 100k+ per fight aren't the ones in worried about.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Like I said, there is something to be said about fighter pay, but guys making 100k+ per fight aren't the ones in worried about.

Regardless, your overinflating without taking into consideration what I mentioned above - let alone the taxes involved. $100K isn't $100K after everything gets settled.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Regardless, your overinflating without taking into consideration what I mentioned above - let alone the taxes involved. $100K isn't $100K after everything gets settled.

Nope it isn't. But it's still a damn good living, for one fight. The guys making 10/10 have the same bills as the guys making 100+. I'm sorry but when I see Rockhold surfing/partying around the world, and renting mansions for fight week, I don't immediately think "damn they need to pay that guy more".

Oct 15, 2008
Nope it isn't. But it's still a damn good living, for one fight. The guys making 10/10 have the same bills as the guys making 100+. I'm sorry but when I see Rockhold surfing/partying around the world, and renting mansions for fight week, I don't immediately think "damn they need to pay that guy more".

Boxers make much much more. The ufc just sold for 4 billion. Seems to me fighters have a right to get what they can. Tough way to make a living.

Dana White has been making a lot of money off the backs of the guys putting themselves on the line. All the while Dana hasn't taken a punch.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Sure maybe not Rockhold - but you're also judging him off of money you don't really know the source of (modeling, endorsements, etc).

Overall, we should be able to agree that for how much money the UFC brings in, Dana gets paid, and so on - there is a HECK of A LOT of fighters who deserve a raise.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Sure maybe not Rockhold - but you're also judging him off of money you don't really know the source of (modeling, endorsements, etc).

Overall, we should be able to agree that for how much money the UFC brings in, Dana gets paid, and so on - there is a HECK of A LOT of fighters who deserve a raise.

Definitely agree on the second part. I don't know how they're going to accomplish it, I mean this fighters Union will help? But the guys making the big cash aren't going to take pay cuts to help the little guys. I guess you'd need to get enough fighters to make a difference, to push the UFC, but you'll never see a full 100% union, which could make things interesting.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Luke would be making $13/hr doing construction work 6-8 months a year if he Didn't have fighting.

Lol, the same can be said about just about anyone if their most employable skills suddenly weren't employable. And it sounds like his next option isn't construction - it sounds like he already has another career.

And he's not good looking, or relevant enough as an MMA fighter, to be a long-term successful model.

It seems he's getting enough work to claim otherwise. If it's not financially worthwhile for him to fight at the offer currently extended to him, why fight? Would you quit your job to take a substantially more dangerous job that pays less?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

He's worth precicely what he can get. And soon we'll find out what that is, whether it's from the UFC, or from Bellator, or elsewhere. Given the success of the UFC on the backs of main card fighters like Rockhold, and the overall value of the UFC as a property, I think virtually every fighter in the organization has a leg to stand on when it comes to fighter pay. And power to them. Who knows how long they'll be able to stand on their legs in this profession. Make hay while the sun shines.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

That might be true, but they're still entitled to negotiate to try to get what they're worth. And the more guys carrying that torch in the fight game, the better.

Keep in mind these guys aren't making 100+k from ages 25-65. Their career has a pretty short window, that for a variety of reasons can close much sooner than expected. Also, their services are generating huge piles of cash.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The fighters are being robbed blind and the Reebok deal is also preventing them from earning millions more. Their grievances are valid considering how much the UFC makes.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I do think that the Reebok deal is crap, but I also think that fighter's pay should be a combination of championship rank and popularity status. If you're not fighting for championships and you're not a popular fighter, you should not be getting paid like a superstar.

Looking at the last UFC event, I felt that most fighters were paid fairly. I get that some will complain about Punk getting paid half a million without landing a single punch. I hear ya, but Punk is an exception and he's a household name that made fans tune in, if you make the company money, you'll make money, plain and simple.

Ballgarath

Jun 17, 2012
B.C.
I'm sure everyone knows this but just in case you don't, a 100k payday for a fighter is nothing because its 100k- 30% for taxes -20% for your trainer and -20% for your manager. so 30k to get your face smashed isn't much.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I'm sure everyone knows this but just in case you don't, a 100k payday for a fighter is nothing because its 100k- 30% for taxes -20% for your trainer and -20% for your manager. so 30k to get your face smashed isn't much.

Generally manager/gym cost isn't 40%. If so, that's crazy. Hendricks used to pay Team Takedown 50%. I know ATT is like 10% combined for the both.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston

Those are all contracts THEY sign. Do you feel bad for the people that bite on those emails From africans wanting to send over their family fortune, they just need someone in the states to open the account for them??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad