OT: FIFA World Cup

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It kinda sucked that we missed out because of our sucky defense. I mean, sooner or later we had to replace our defense, but we have nothing coming up. Before this, we had a pretty bad LB. Now we have an entire D that sucks.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It kinda sucked that we missed out because of our sucky defense. I mean, sooner or later we had to replace our defense, but we have nothing coming up. Before this, we had a pretty bad LB. Now we have an entire D that sucks.

Therefore, you are very good in hockey ;) Can't have it all :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I've heard that when the World Cup has been held in South America, that no team outside of South America has ever won it.

Is this correct?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ain't that the truth!

It's too bad Ukraine didn't make it this year, I remember Prosvita (Ukrainian social hall on Arlington and Pritchard) was PACKED when Ukraine made it in 2006. You had all the little babas huddled in the kitchen making perogies and holubchi for the halftime buffet, it was awesome.

The German Society on Charles St. is usually pretty full for the Germany games at all the major tournaments. That's a really cool old building.

Anyone with suggestions for places worth checking out? There's obviously Bar I, The Grove, etc., but nothing beats those packed little social and cultural halls.

Thanks for the heads up especially on the German Society on Charles St.

A very good place to watch Italy play is X-Cues Cafe on Sargent. It usually packs out and if the day is nice they usually BBQ up Italian sausage’s out front that you can have in a bun with peppers. It just has a very good vibe.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I've heard that when the World Cup has been held in South America, that no team outside of South America has ever won it.

Is this correct?

Yes. Although it's only happened 4 times since 1930.

Plus South America has 9 World Cups to their name, and has had many good teams historically (Uruguay, Brazil, and Argentina mostly) so I think it's more of a coincidence than anything as South America generally has one or two good teams in the tournament each time.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No Scotland :(

Could cheer for the Aussies, but they'll likely be confused by the rules and hurt people.

Can't cheer for the Italians, fantastic people but I have the most idiotic Italian in the world living on my street and it's soured me.

I'll cheer for Germany and Spain but would love to see an African nation go far.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Is this correct?

That's correct. Of the 4 times it was held it South America a South American team has won it. I personally wouldn't put too much stock in that. It hasn't been held there since '78. I could see the advantage at that time with the majority of the players in those countries competing there year round, used to the climate etc. But nowadays all the big players from the South American teams play club football in Europe so I don't think the advantage is there.

Before the last world cup everyone was pointing out that a European team had never won a cup outside of Europe, then lo and behold Spain wins it.

With that said, it certainly wouldn't be a surprise to see a Brazil or Argentina win it.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
So, it's not England's year this year either then?

Never is. I love them to death but they are the most overrated team by far.

I hate Spain since they cheated their way to a win over Ukraine in 2006. So definitely don't want them to win.

Cheering for England (grandma was from there), Netherlands and Russia (otherwise the bf will be upset if I don't)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Never is. I love them to death but they are the most overrated team by far.

I hate Spain since they cheated their way to a win over Ukraine in 2006. So definitely don't want them to win.

Cheering for England (grandma was from there), Netherlands and Russia (otherwise the bf will be upset if I don't)

Wait, what?

I remember that game vividly, Spain dominated. First two goals were off set pieces that Ukraine did a horrible job defending. Don't remember anything controversial except for a bit of a sketchy penalty decision, but IIRC it was already 2-0 or 3-0 at that point.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Wait, what?

I remember that game vividly, Spain dominated. First two goals were off set pieces that Ukraine did a horrible job defending. Don't remember anything controversial except for a bit of a sketchy penalty decision, but IIRC it was already 2-0 or 3-0 at that point.

Yeah I think LadyJet is the only one who views it as Spain cheating their way to victory. Ukraine was vastly outplayed in that match and justifiably lost 4-0.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
By cheated I meant dive like Portugal and Italy do

23556_Haters_Gonna_Hate_Ronaldo_Wide.png

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Good luck to all teams.....hoping for a well officiated tournament with lots of great soccer...Another 30 days with something to watch :D

Força Portugal

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Can't wait for today's game. I really enjoy watching both Brazil and Croatia, so it should be fun.

Croatia has recently been producing a lot of young talent, so I wouldn't be surprised if by next world cup they're making some real noise. The team isn't bad as is either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad