Kings News: Fiala to for 2022 first-round pick and Brock Faber

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
What is wrong with Blake and the King's GMs over the years? Why are they not making trades where they get stars for our nothing/trash. I'm so mad! What are they thinking!! I'm not going to rest / stop until we fix this problem and start making those type of trades from now on!!!
Pound GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

His elite hockey IQ is starting to produce some offense this season, despite not having big time offensive skill. 2 points, 4 SOG and the usual dominant defensive play returning from injury. Some players just think and process the game at a much higher level than most, and Faber is one of those players.

I'm still happy the Kings made the trade, we desperately needed a player like Fiala, but I think Faber has always been really underrated here and elsewhere. He is pretty similar as a prospect to Clarke, as far as overall value.

Always thought he had a bit of Sanderson-lite in him like that, where he suddenly realizes he has good offensive tools too and starts loosening up.

I do think he profiles as more of a McDonagh or Vlasic though, guys who are just even strength monsters in the two-way game and put up a good 30-35 ES points a season but wouldn't give you anything on a PP.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is what I want to know. Why are we even talking about them? Kempe's on track to be the first player since Palffy in 01-02 and 02-03 to have back-to-back 30-goal seasons with the Kings. In what universe is he expendable? If we should be moving anyone, it's players performing poorly relative to their cap hit.

We have three key players that aren't living up to their contracts: Edler, Quick, and Petersen. That's almost $15 million in cap space!

Screenshot-2023-02-13-at-12.13.25-PM.png

Screenshot-2023-02-13-at-12.13.35-PM.png

Where might we be with, say, Darcy Kuemper and Jakob Chychrun?

You should probably use an image from this year for Edler. He makes $750,000, not the $3.5 million he made last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Zissou

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

His elite hockey IQ is starting to produce some offense this season, despite not having big time offensive skill. 2 points, 4 SOG and the usual dominant defensive play returning from injury. Some players just think and process the game at a much higher level than most, and Faber is one of those players.

I'm still happy the Kings made the trade, we desperately needed a player like Fiala, but I think Faber has always been really underrated here and elsewhere. He is pretty similar as a prospect to Clarke, as far as overall value.

His development is reminding me a bit of Shea Weber.

Weber obviously came up through the CHL, but he was also a 2nd round draft pick that wasn't considered much of an offensive player. But he steadily got better and better each year in all aspects of the game including offense.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
You should probably use an image from this year for Edler. He makes $750,000, not the $3.5 million he made last year.
Anyone know what Edler’s bonus structure is? Just wondering how much cap space je will actually take up.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Anyone know what Edler’s bonus structure is? Just wondering how much cap space je will actually take up.

"Alexander Edler signed a 1 year, $1,500,000 contract with the Los Angeles Kings on Jul. 12, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $750,000."

Appears to be no more than $750,000 max in bonuses for at most $1.5 million total.

Reactions: lumbergh

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Is that only if we don't have the cap space to pay for it this year, or is it deferred to next year no matter what?
I honestly don't remember why I thought it was deferred to next year but I did.

I'm looking at the CBA at the moment but can't find any language that specifically references it but I'm tired and not checking it very well.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Is that only if we don't have the cap space to pay for it this year, or is it deferred to next year no matter what?
Pretty sure any bonus gets deferred to the following season (since there are times a player may not meet the bonus, so a team can't account for a bonus that's never met).

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
1.5 million for Todd to over play Ed into an absolute tire fire along with Walker.

Gross.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
seems like every time they show the bench pre/postgame fiala is one of the guys going out of his way to fistbump the kids around there, one of those things that's left a character impression on me
Brock Faber would take all the kids out to dinner.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Bump

What was the reason behind the, ..."he wasn't gonna sign crowd"...? (That includes me)

Was it when they tried to sign him for playoffs and he declined?

Didn't he want another kick at the can with his college team?

Thought I heard on some broadcast that he was actually upset that LA traded him and had a hard time with that.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm still happy the Kings made the trade, we desperately needed a player like Fiala,
Thanks for digging this thread up, look at what @Herby thought of it! Crazy, huh? It's almost like the exact opposite of what he's saying now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Thanks for digging this thread up, look at what @Herby thought of it! Crazy, huh? It's almost like the exact opposite of what he's saying now.

No. I said in the other thread the same exact thing and have argued with @bland, @King'sPawn and others that it was a good trade once they committed to trying to win in a small window. Same reason I supported and still do support the logic and reasoning for trading for PLD. Others here can easily verify that.

I always opposed the idea of ending the rebuild and was greatly opposed to the Danault signing, but once you decided to try and foolishly win with 11 and 8 you had to bring in veterans in their primes from the outside.

Jesus, Axl, go look at my very post in the recent Faber thread

The trade was a reasonable micro decision that was part of a bigger and horrific macro one.

Nice try at a gotcha though.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrozenKing18

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Becoming increasingly obvious that they never wanted to rebuild. Faber is going to be a 22 minute stud defender very quickly.

See what I mean about racing to the middle? Here comes another season of 20+ minutes a night for Kopitar with another mismatched winger who won't know how to or enjoy playing with him.

Guessing we will now see Vilardi, Turcotte, Bjornfot, Spence and Iafallo dealt for Crouse and Chychrun.

Sad to see so many fans here thinking this is the right way to do business.
Props to you @bland, you have been nothing if not consistent.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Trying to avoid the Fiala/Faber circle jerk :P But I still like this deal. Fiala is a game-breaking player (jokingly either way just to head off all those ready-to-reply) but his value and deal are fine despite Faber's development or now becoming a top player in the NHL already to some eyes. It reminds me of the reaction to losing Cernak.

I am fine about arguing the timing of the deal and the philosophy of the rebuild which obviously has many questions surrounding it right now given this ridiculous swing of a season, but Fiala is locked into a solid number in his prime and has been good enough even during arguably one of his worst and most divisive seasons. Last year he was a literal superstar for us.

The deal that broke the team is still the PLD deal, the direction is debatable, but there was only one deal that truly broke the camel's back. Outside of that, sure everything Blake has done can be picked a part as the full plan is laid out and easy to criticize right now, but I don't have much to complain about for this deal in a vacuum.

The trade value is still fine even though Faber wasn't going to be thrown out there ahead of Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Roy, and so on. He would have toiled in the AHL for four seasons and been treated like Moverare if he had stayed. That is a bigger crime than dealing him and getting value while we could which turned into the most talented player on the team who, like most, are oft misused.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Trying to avoid the Fiala/Faber circle jerk :P But I still like this deal. Fiala is a game-breaking player (jokingly either way just to head off all those ready-to-reply) but his value and deal are fine despite Faber's development or now becoming a top player in the NHL already to some eyes. It reminds me of the reaction to losing Cernak.

I am fine about arguing the timing of the deal and the philosophy of the rebuild which obviously has many questions surrounding it right now given this ridiculous swing of a season, but Fiala is locked into a solid number in his prime and has been good enough even during arguably one of his worst and most divisive seasons. Last year he was a literal superstar for us.

The deal that broke the team is still the PLD deal, the direction is debatable, but there was only one deal that truly broke the camel's back. Outside of that, sure everything Blake has done can be picked a part as the full plan is laid out and easy to criticize right now, but I don't have much to complain about for this deal in a vacuum.

The trade value is still fine even though Faber wasn't going to be thrown out there ahead of Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Roy, and so on. He would have toiled in the AHL for four seasons and been treated like Moverare if he had stayed. That is a bigger crime than dealing him and getting value while we could which turned into the most talented player on the team who, like most, are oft misused.

I think people are to unfair with Fiala, in blaming him because he was part of poor managerial decisions. Fiala is a very good (albeit slightly flawed) player, but the Kings did need a player like him to make their SC chances go from 0% to the 1-5% it was the last 2 seasons.

In a different world, had the Kings ended up adding say for example Quinn Hughes, Tim Stutzle, Moritz Seider and Nick Suzuki during those brief rebuild years it's a completely different situation, because maybe he is that last piece to a team that can legitimately win a Stanley Cup with those guys + Kopitar and Doughty. But there just weren't enough young assets added to be ready to turn the page in 2021, and then continue it with what have ended up being poor trades in 2022 and 2023 which further depleted an already weak system.

But Fiala as a player is still better than I think he is given credit for here.

Reactions: Telos

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
.But Fiala as a player is still better than I think he is given credit for here.
Hes had some rough nights this season. The giveaways for no reason that lead to goals against and late in the game penalties are much too frequent. He has been benched multiple times because of it so its not just the fans upset but the coaching staff as well.
No one denies the skill.
What Id like to see is some of that bite he had in Minnesota. He was throwing the body and hurting Kings players it seemed like every game.
Now hes just slashing guys behind the play.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I think people are to unfair with Fiala, in blaming him because he was part of poor managerial decisions. Fiala is a very good (albeit slightly flawed) player, but the Kings did need a player like him to make their SC chances go from 0% to the 1-5% it was the last 2 seasons.

In a different world, had the Kings ended up adding say for example Quinn Hughes, Tim Stutzle, Moritz Seider and Nick Suzuki during those brief rebuild years it's a completely different situation, because maybe he is that last piece to a team that can legitimately win a Stanley Cup with those guys + Kopitar and Doughty. But there just weren't enough young assets added to be ready to turn the page in 2021, and then continue it with what have ended up being poor trades in 2022 and 2023 which further depleted an already weak system.

But Fiala as a player is still better than I think he is given credit for here.
I would say he is given far too much credit and is a much bigger part of the problem here than acknowledged.

He is a diet star proven incapable of playing with anybody other than those who to defer to him while recklessly unable to play hockey while holding a lead.

He is a potato chip player, empty stats without anything substantial to him.

• Haha
Reactions: Telos

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m not a Faber promoter. He is playing great on a bad team. If he is a stud on a contender then I’ll admit I’m wrong.

I liked Fiala when the trade was made and like him now. I worried that Todd would screw it up with Fiala. That’s pretty much what happened. It was always throwing money away after good intentions but no thought to execution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad