FHM 9

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
UI and menu navigation still look like from year 2000. I realize the format may need to be like this because of how the game mechanics are coded, and new versions of basically ports of previous year, but still nothing that grabs your attention when previewing it.

Hockey Sim continues to look for a game with modern UI and functionability, while still including the depth of the actual game (EHM, FHM, looking at you)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I'm thinking of dipping my toe back into this but I don't need a second job haha. Are there any simpler games, there's so much to keep track of and I have limited time so prefer a streamlined game. How customizable is it? Thanks

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I'm thinking of dipping my toe back into this but I don't need a second job haha. Are there any simpler games, there's so much to keep track of and I have limited time so prefer a streamlined game. How customizable is it? Thanks
Well it is on sale for the next day or so, so there's not a better time to grab it!

Like most management games, it does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get it it's fairly easy to do. Do. You can also hand off a lot of tasks to your assistant/ the AI.

In terms of customization, there has never been more than there is in the ninth version, but without knowing exactly what you want to do, it's hard to speak on anything specific.

If you wanted a streamline game, you can send through historical very fast, or you could create your own world which will take you a bit of time to set up, but will also send quickly as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: windycity

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Well it is on sale for the next day or so, so there's not a better time to grab it!

Lake most management games, it does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get it it's fairly easy to do. Do. You can also hand off a lot of tasks to your assistant/ the AI.

In terms of customization, there has never been more than there is in the ninth version, but without knowing exactly what you want to do, it's hard to speak on anything specific.

If you wanted a streamline game, you can send through historical very fast, or you could create your own world which will take you a bit of time to set up, but will also send quickly as well.
Thank you, appreciate the feedback!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Hey! I just bit the bullet and am having a blast - contrary to some of what I see online, I enjoy the "Harmony" mechanic, it makes it more worth to read scouting reports about the personality of players and adds a bit of "spice" to the game. Signing FAs and players in general feels a lot more "dynamic" too.

Trades seem fine except the AI seems to severely underrate prospects and overrate picks. I've tried the same package for the pick, and then for the drafted players and the trade was accepted for the drafted players haha.

I'm comparing to EHM, and I find a few nice QOL improvements - being able to quickly see who's the upcoming FAs, seeing unsigned prospects and when they expire. Hovering over teams to see their strenghts/weaknesses/goals. And others I'm probably forgetting

But I find myself a little bit unsure if I'm missing some things.

0. I'm gm-ing. Not coaching. However, it seems like my coach is playing my worst goalie all the time. Is there a setting to avoid that? My "rookie" goalie ended up playing 66 games while the "backup" was more established, and has a much better record in the few games he played. I had their major roles set up appropriately afaik.

(A similar thing happened with my C's, where Crosby was 1st in the depth chart above Dvorak and Suzuki, but he played 3C behind both)

1. For the draft, just leaving the scouts do their things all year seems enough? Or am I missing some draft-specific mechanic? And, I rarely if ever receive trade requests on draft day - is this normal?

2. No training camps? I see that when some players are in the NHL, it 'hinders" their development, is this true during the pre-season as well? Right now I bring everyone to the active roster.

3. Injuries. Injuries everywhere and everyone. It happened one year - ok. The very next year it happened again and I lost my entire RD + my top 2 C. Should I hire more than 1 "trainer" ?

4. any way to quickly offer a trade for a certain pick at the draft? Even in the trade offer section, it doesn't show me which pick I'm looking at (especially confusing if a team has 3x3rd rounders for example)

Thansk for clarifying any or all of these! I have years of habits on EHM, so trying to learn the new ones for FHM - but the game is really fun to play and its world feels more "alive".

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Just started playing this game, having a lot of fun with it although the UI is kinda confusing. Is there any easy way to bring up who in my organization has their rights expiring soon? Would make it easier than manually going down my depth chart and clicking each individual person to check

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Just started playing this game, having a lot of fun with it although the UI is kinda confusing. Is there any easy way to bring up who in my organization has their rights expiring soon? Would make it easier than manually going down my depth chart and clicking each individual person to check

I can't screenshot the dynamic menu, but if you hover over your team's name, under the "transaction" sub menu, there is the "unsigned" tab.

it has all the rights and signing deadlines.

Though, I got a little frustrated with how the game handles unsigned player's rights - some I have expiry on June 30th, but can only start signing on June 23rd. And they don't always sign on the same day.

I'm getting the hang of it, but I've lost quite a few rights without noticing. It would be nice to have a reminder on that date.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
And if someone has tips to reduce injuries, I'd welcome them. I get that NHL teams experience a ton of injuries every year, but 6 core players being injured for 3-4 months at a time seems excessive (I'm in May at this point of the file)

And I'm not bringing it up because it happened one year - I'm constantly down 3-4 D's all year...

1687290153047.png

1687290200585.png

Sebastian Palkowski

Oct 20, 2011
And if someone has tips to reduce injuries, I'd welcome them. I get that NHL teams experience a ton of injuries every year, but 6 core players being injured for 3-4 months at a time seems excessive (I'm in May at this point of the file)

And I'm not bringing it up because it happened one year - I'm constantly down 3-4 D's all year...

View attachment 719524
View attachment 719525
Did you already adjust the "Injury Frequency" under File -> Setup / Options?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Did you already adjust the "Injury Frequency" under File -> Setup / Options?

I kinda skimmed over the dovs and didnt realize that was an option

That's so obvious I missed it lol

Thanks, I'll try that!

Edit: Ahhhh, it's locked in my current game, set to "normal" (I wonder if it has to do with the "challenge run" or something). I'll try a new one and see

Last edited:

Sebastian Palkowski

Oct 20, 2011
I kinda skimmed over the dovs and didnt realize that was an option

That's so obvious I missed it lol

Thanks, I'll try that!

Edit: Ahhhh, it's locked in my current game, set to "normal" (I wonder if it has to do with the "challenge run" or something). I'll try a new one and see
Normal is the default setting for new games.

You can just change it in your running game (if you want to continue it).

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Normal is the default setting for new games.

You can just change it in your running game (if you want to continue it).

Yeah, the option is greyed out - but I chose challenge mode so maybe that's why?

In any case, that save was more to familiarize myself with FHM and experiment.

It's pretty cool that budget looks like an important part of the game, makes me care about financials in a way other games don't. I started with Montreal, and realized how a big budget was such an advantage, so I might try Arizona and working around a smaller budget and making the team slowly successful (if possible at all!).

Sebastian Palkowski

Oct 20, 2011
Yeah, the option is greyed out - but I chose challenge mode so maybe that's why?

In any case, that save was more to familiarize myself with FHM and experiment.

It's pretty cool that budget looks like an important part of the game, makes me care about financials in a way other games don't. I started with Montreal, and realized how a big budget was such an advantage, so I might try Arizona and working around a smaller budget and making the team slowly successful (if possible at all!).
You are right, the option is disabled in challenge mode (I did not see that in your first post). :)

Reactions: abo9

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
A couple of questions/issues:

1) Why do players retire when they’re still good? Is there any way to “unretire” them or prevent them from retiring early? How about persuading them with a good contract offer?

•I’m getting a lot of players retiring at 35/36 while still scoring 60+ points a season.
•I also had Ovechkin retire just 13 goals shy of breaking Gretzky’s record which was disappointing as I was hoping he’d sign a one year deal to break the record.
•Seems some even retire while being under contract which causes even more issues in that the team he retired from simply gets out of their contract without any penalties or cap left for them to have to deal with.

2) Trades are off in that I get good offers rejected all the time. For instance, I’ll offer good value for a 4/5 star player on the trade block, but get rejected. My offer can be a 1st plus a 3/4 star player and I get rejected. But a day later the AI then trades the same player away to a team for a 4th round pick.

3) I like the feature where you can solicit trade offers from other teams on a player you want to trade away. But can this be enhanced to specifically ask a team what they would offer for that player? And along the same lines, ask a team what they would want in a trade for a specific player you’d like from their team?

4) For prospects who are 17/18/19 but have a rating of 3 stars and potential of 5 stars, does it hurt to keep them in their lower league for a year or two of continued development? I find that most recently drafted players (with some exceptions) struggle on my NHL team even when their current ability is on par with other players in my team.

Great game. I enjoy it a lot. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
A couple of questions/issues:

1) Why do players retire when they’re still good? Is there any way to “unretire” them or prevent them from retiring early? How about persuading them with a good contract offer?

•I’m getting a lot of players retiring at 35/36 while still scoring 60+ points a season.
•I also had Ovechkin retire just 13 goals shy of breaking Gretzky’s record which was disappointing as I was hoping he’d sign a one year deal to break the record.
•Seems some even retire while being under contract which causes even more issues in that the team he retired from simply gets out of their contract without any penalties or cap left for them to have to deal with.

2) Trades are off in that I get good offers rejected all the time. For instance, I’ll offer good value for a 4/5 star player on the trade block, but get rejected. My offer can be a 1st plus a 3/4 star player and I get rejected. But a day later the AI then trades the same player away to a team for a 4th round pick.

3) I like the feature where you can solicit trade offers from other teams on a player you want to trade away. But can this be enhanced to specifically ask a team what they would offer for that player? And along the same lines, ask a team what they would want in a trade for a specific player you’d like from their team?

4) For prospects who are 17/18/19 but have a rating of 3 stars and potential of 5 stars, does it hurt to keep them in their lower league for a year or two of continued development? I find that most recently drafted players (with some exceptions) struggle on my NHL team even when their current ability is on par with other players in my team.

Great game. I enjoy it a lot. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
1) Retirements have always been a point of contention with everybody for...well since the inception of the game (or at least since I've started being on the product. The truth is, we're in line with what most career arcs will be, and the amount of retirements in the game is typically lined up closely with the real NHL. Guys playing until their 40 just doesn't happen a lot anymore. Health issues, cheaper players, etc have all changed that. Is it perfect? No, but I don't think we can always satisfy everyone.

As for unretiring? No, sorry that's not possible.

2) Teams make different trades, and trades between what they may be willing to give you and what they will give another team is different. We changed to make it harder to get great players, but it's not impossible. Again, something that's hard to satisfy for everyone but an area we continue to evolve as we make the game.

3) Short answer - no. Longer answer - Kind of? You can use the "Make this work" button to get an idea of what they would want - but you're not always going to like the answer. You can also put players on the Trade Block to receive offers throughout the year. You can shop players as well but often that will be the worst offers you can get (but not always!). Teams/the AI is much more cold and calculating using the shop feature - so they're looking at contract, age, and points for what a players worth.

4) It can stall them a bit. If you're in the NHL and see a player at 3 stars, they're likely ready for the NHL and you should be putting them to work. The key thing would be not to sign them to a contact which would keep them happy at least, otherwise they'll think they're at the wrong level.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad