FHL-The Circus Sideshow Continues

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Can somebody explain to me why Dayton, which is the largest city in the league, has a team in this league? I know that the town and the owners of the DemonZ must be burned out from the ECHL, but you don't have to play in Podunk Beer League to make a case.

I was the former VP of corporate of the Central Hockey League team that was in Dayton, so I think I can answer your question as well as anyone on HFB..

1) The number one reason is because minor league sports generally don't make money.. and the ones that do make money directly and indirectly do a great job making sure none of the other teams in the city make money..

2) In Dayton, there's no longer a good venue to play AA hockey in.. Nutter Center doesn't want hockey, and in fact I believe they sold their ice making equipment.. Hara Arena (where the Demonz play) is over 50 years old and has no corporate hospitality opportunities, nor video boards for in-game entertainment.. it's missing things like the remote-controlled covers over the lights that can be open and shut to very quickly lighten or darken the ice/stands for shows.. I think it's really tough to make a hockey game in to a family event there.. the climate inside the arena is also uncomfortable more often than not.. it is also not in a good location..

3) There's a lack of business trust from the corporate community from the Dayton Bombers days.. Not going to get into specifics but you can piece the puzzle together I'm sure.. bottom line is corporate support will not be what it needs to be to make hockey viable in Dayton..

4) Grass roots hockey is practically non-existent in Dayton compared to many other AA markets..

5) Hara's management is smart enough to know where the main revenue streams of a hockey game are - and they mostly keep those to themselves which makes it harder for a team to succeed... it's a short-sighted strategy which harms the team and thus harms the venue itself long term..

In short, there isn't enough interest from the business community or population in Dayton to make a professional hockey team profitable.. in order to work, hockey would need to go away for 5-10 years and a new arena will need to be built.. the main problem is there is zero political appetite or money for a new building, and secondly there's a handsomely profitable baseball team in Dayton that's very well plugged to who's who and what's what in the city that can (and maybe has?) thwart any efforts to build a new arena for a hockey team..

change on the fly

Mar 25, 2014
midwest
Dayton Owner is also Danville Owner, has to keep both in league for it to work, may be fees are too high in next league up for him to pay and make work financially, that's assuming the league would allow him in.
I saw a midget game in Indiana on ice surface same size at Berlin and it looked crowded without room for movement, can't imagine what it's gonna look like with these guys on it

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
In short, there isn't enough interest from the business community or population in Dayton to make a professional hockey team profitable.. in order to work, hockey would need to go away for 5-10 years and a new arena will need to be built.. the main problem is there is zero political appetite or money for a new building, and secondly there's a handsomely profitable baseball team in Dayton that's very well plugged to who's who and what's what in the city that can (and maybe has?) thwart any efforts to build a new arena for a hockey team..

Said baseball team just changed ownership groups. New owners paid close to $40 million for the team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
7/24 Press release:
FHL ANNUAL LEAGUE MEETING

Syracuse, NY - The Federal Hockey League entering their 5th season this fall held their annual league meeting at Daniella's Steakhouse at the Best Western Inn at the Fairgrounds in Syracuse. Highlighting the meeting were the league's governors approving a new ownership group, Top Shelf Hockey, for the Watertown, NY franchise. Top Shelf Hockey will announce the team's new nickname and new logo in the next few weeks. Also the league announced a 6th team for the league in Berlin, NH.

Also the governors approved a 56 game schedule that will start on Thursday, October 16th and will finish by March 31, 2015, including all playoff games. The FHL schedule will be formally released next week.

The Southwest PA (SWPA) Magic were pleased to announce the addition of Rod Davidson to their staff. Davidson will be the Magic's Director of Hockey Operations and Head Coach. He brings many years of professional coaching and management to the FHL.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Also note that in Berlin the rink is 85 x 187, 13 feet short of regulation.

There's a lot of things about the FHL that are short of regulation compared real professional hockey. The FHL would do itself better by dropping to senior semi-pro like a number of leagues in Canada or the Great Lakes League in Wisconsin. They'd get more credibility being honest of their level rather than slapping lipstick on a really ugly pig and pretending to be a true pro league.

...In short, there isn't enough interest from the business community or population in Dayton to make a professional hockey team profitable.. in order to work, hockey would need to go away for 5-10 years and a new arena will need to be built.. the main problem is there is zero political appetite or money for a new building, and secondly there's a handsomely profitable baseball team in Dayton that's very well plugged to who's who and what's what in the city that can (and maybe has?) thwart any efforts to build a new arena for a hockey team..

I've said it before (basically since the Bombers left) the Dayton area (or even northern suburb Troy, OH) would be a good fit for NAHL or USHL jr. hockey. Both are high level enough to attract some fans, don't have the costs of paying players, plus the players are competing at a high level to earn college scholarships and get serious pro scouting. The market size is large enough to support that level, and Dayton is in the footprint of the NAHL or USHL. Esp. for the USHL, the dormant Indy Ice franchise is looking for a new home.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I've said it before (basically since the Bombers left) the Dayton area (or even northern suburb Troy, OH) would be a good fit for NAHL or USHL jr. hockey. Both are high level enough to attract some fans, don't have the costs of paying players, plus the players are competing at a high level to earn college scholarships and get serious pro scouting. The market size is large enough to support that level, and Dayton is in the footprint of the NAHL or USHL. Esp. for the USHL, the dormant Indy Ice franchise is looking for a new home.

Troy did have a pay-to-play junior team that actually succeeded for a year.. then they shifted to a pro model and the team collapsed.. NAHL could be good for Troy at Hobart although there'd be A LOT of travel... USHL, the town is not large enough to support..

In Dayton, the most hardcore hockey fans would not support junior.. the booster club and many season ticket holders like to get to know the players and coaches and team staff on a personal level.. they would not be interested in befriending 16 and 17 year old kids.. if you went junior at any level you'd be totally starting over with no fan-base at all - and again we get back to the venue question...

Speaking for myself, I really like your idea for Troy in the NAHL as being able to support it, caveat being the travel.. Dayton, I'm not sure anything will work right now.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Have been to the arena in Troy (late 80's) last season of the AAHL, before becoming the ECHL. Don't know if they have changed things there, but remember the fans sat right behind the players - no seperation. We sat behind the Chiefs bench and could touch the players.
Loved the arena and agree they could support an NAHL team - too bad someone in the area doesn't look into it. I thought maybe Dayton would try to do the same, but guess they are happy with FHL.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
7/24 Press release:

Interesting post.

I have eaten at that restaurant, Daniella's Steakhouse at the Best Western Inn at the Fairgrounds in Syracuse, a few times! The food is good, but it isn't a Michelin Guide type place. I guess the FHL is too cheap to go to a Mirbeau Inn & Spa type place.

BTW, Hara Arena in Dayton opened for hockey in October of 1964, making it 50 years old in 2 months. I was there.

Last edited:

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Musings

I was at the FHL open tryout this past weekend. Based on play I would guess that only a handful of players will ultimately make the final rosters. The players may have received camp invitations but that doesn't mean they will make rosters. So concerns about drafting Club Hockey players may be prejudging things.

As for level of play, it appeared to be slower than what I would expect to see during games. In this league or any other pro league. I asked a league/team official to compare the level of play and speed at the tryout and was told the regular season speed and skill levels were higher than those at this tryout.

As for comments about Berlin NH and the ND rink facility size etc. I can only say that the concerns mentioned about the Berkshire MA team and rink may have been much more focused on seating capacity (and no I don't know for sure numbers for either one) But in looking back at the article referencing the FHL decision not to admit Berkshire the comments mentioned size of the rink, which I took to mean seating capacity and financial reserves that Berkshire lacked.

While I think the FHL decision to go to Berlin was driven by a need to balance their schedules and travel considerations it would seem that they have been looking at Berlin as an expansion possibility for some time. The Berlin community while small, (approx. 10,000 +/-) is steeped in hockey interest. It has a strong french/french Canadian population (over 60% of residents listed that as their heritage) They also just received a $300,000 grant to upgrade the facility. Something mentioned in one of the articles I read.

While any long term success will come as a result of finding local ownership and the ability for the team to connect with the community, I wouldn't necessarily write the location off.

Any low level minor pro team in almost any sport will have to work hard, on and off the playing surface to succeed.

F1

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Actually I gotta laugh at the naysayers over the last few years, all proven wrong :) lol. While every naysayer drops arrogant bombs each fall this league continues to operate. Places like Danbury, Watertown, and Dayton this product fills that hockey niche not only for fans but players with dreams as well..... Hopefully 14-15 will be the best for the FHL yet :)

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
SWPA Magic cancelled their first 2 home games this past weekend. Any information as to what is going on there?

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
see other thread

There's another thread where people are posting re: what's going on...jump over to the thread about Federal League tryouts. It's got info there

F1

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
There's a lot of things about the FHL that are short of regulation compared real professional hockey. The FHL would do itself better by dropping to senior semi-pro like a number of leagues in Canada or the Great Lakes League in Wisconsin. They'd get more credibility being honest of their level rather than slapping lipstick on a really ugly pig and pretending to be a true pro league.

In the case of the Ice, it'd likely be a one-year deal (since Paul Skjodt wants to build a facility in northwest Indianapolis), but if you do well in that year, the USHL might give you an expansion team.

Frankly, I wished the Danville Wings (that became the Indiana Ice) had a chance to come back to the USHL.

But, while I understand the FHL has some supporters, my main problem is just how disorganized everything is.

13millerd

Jan 22, 2015
But, while I understand the FHL has some supporters, my main problem is just how disorganized everything is.
Thats the reason I love it. It's so over the top and you never know whats going to happen next. I live in a small town near Dayton and nobody knows anything about hockey. The main reason they won't watch it is because they don't know the rules. The FHL is great for the fact that play is very slow for a pro league so when one of the more confusing things happen (off sides, icing, etc) I can explain what is going on. Also the FHL's lack of professionalism also makes it fun in my opinion. The FHL has two kinds of players those who take it too seriously and those who just want to have fun. The ones who take it so seriously are funny because if you chirp at them they over react. The last game I went to featured a player who would do everything in his power to avoid being body checked which ticked me off because to me the difference between the rec league I play in and the FHL is you can fight and body check. So during a TV time out I was talking to Mahfouz and I told him to light the guy up. The guy came over and we start yelling at each other and I told him that at least I can hit and take a hit. So right on the face-off he trys to throw a hit and nails a guy from behind (which was ok because this player had to be 5'6" and 120lbs) He then came up to me and asked if he did it right sarcastically (thinking he did it right) so I told him no and showed him what he did wrong. He lost it and tried to climb over the boards. My friend who I took now goes to every game she can.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
SWPA Magic cancelled their first 2 home games this past weekend. Any information as to what is going on there?

Well, the Magic are gone, and they were replaced with the Steel City club.

And, now even the Steel City Warriors are in danger of going under, leaving the FHL back at 4 teams.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Well, the Magic are gone, and they were replaced with the Steel City club.

And, now even the Steel City Warriors are in danger of going under, leaving the FHL back at 4 teams.

What did I miss? who went away? Couple days ago, there were still 6 teams.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Steel City Warriors are crowdfunding their season, showing just how low a "professional" organization can go.

But yeah, Class-A Clowns, we NEED Class-A hockey!! :shakehead

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Great job by Alan, Herm and the Whalers organization in honoring longtime fan and 102 member Walt "Senator" Henderson with a memorial patch on their jerseys. Was honored to call that man a friend, in an obscure piece of 102 trivia he is the one who coined the Heavy Potter nickname for me when I worked for the Trashers.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Lol Danbury is like the Fort Wayne of the FHL. They have to be the only ones wanting this charade to continue.

I'd argue Dayton's owners probably have a vested interest in keeping the league going as well.

In other news, Steel City has collected $270 of their $30,000 goal...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad