FHL expands to Port Huron

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Port Huron Hockey Part VIII

I figured it was an FHL franchise. I read that Barry Soskin will be the new team's owner, as well as the owner of Dayton and Danville. I can't see how one person owning three teams can possibly work. :rolleyes: We shall see...

Curious what the team name will be. Flags? Border Cats?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I figured it was an FHL franchise. I read that Barry Soskin will be the new team's owner, as well as the owner of Dayton and Danville. I can't see how one person owning three teams can possibly work. :rolleyes: We shall see...

Curious what the team name will be. Flags? Border Cats?

Eh, it's not like he'll pay any of the bills on time anyway... maybe at all. That's how Class-A hockey stays alive, staving off paying until they can find another sponsor or sucker.

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Eh, it's not like he'll pay any of the bills on time anyway... maybe at all. That's how Class-A hockey stays alive, staving off paying until they can find another sponsor or sucker.

That's what I figured. One owner, three teams, all of which will be lucky to draw over 1000 per game. Hope I'm wrong and Port Huron really gets behind this team, but I see heavy losses and a trail of unpaid bills and players.

I remember the Lapeer Loggers (Log 'em!) and the three-ringed circus called the AAHL. The Loggers barely made it to January, cancelled several games, then the whole league collapsed.:rolleyes: For Port Huron's sake, I hope this team doesn't crash and burn like that one did. But I have my doubts.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Is this league pretty much the new veteran league now that the UHL and CHL are no longer around? Might be a good thing for the league since there's probably quite a few vets with no league to play in?

Danbury102

Mar 6, 2008
Is this league pretty much the new veteran league now that the UHL and CHL are no longer around? Might be a good thing for the league since there's probably quite a few vets with no league to play in?

Nope. A few years ago there were veterans, so we had some well known names in the league. Now it's just young guys who will never go anywhere because word has gotten around about how this league and the teams are run.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Yeah I heard it's made up with a lot of players just out of jr A and B. hopefully the league can get its act together and be more professionally run then it can get the quality vets back. Seem like a golden opportunity given that theres no central league.

HereComeTheSwords

Mar 15, 2015
Zip Code EIEIO
Change with Barry Soskin running three teams? Good luck with that. And supposedly the owner whose team drew 40 a game and didn't pay her players all season plans to return next season. That's how the league survives. Give the boys a happy meal and if the others actually want real money, you waive them. LMAO.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
In a way I'm surprised Afr isn't involved. I thought Port Huron was his market of choice. I know at one point he was behind an arena being built there on top of the one the Cats/Flags played in but the funds dried up and what not. The Jackals were supposed to move there.

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
I thought Port Huron had a junior squad?

The Flags weren't for profit. No wonder they were short lived.

They did have a junior team, the Fighting Falcons of the NAHL. They moved to Connellsville, PA after the 2013-14 season and are now the Keystone Ice Miners.

As for the Flags, they were a "non-profit" organization. But in a way, you could say that about every team that's played in Port Huron, judging by the heavy losses each had. :shakehead

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
In a way I'm surprised Afr isn't involved. I thought Port Huron was his market of choice. I know at one point he was behind an arena being built there on top of the one the Cats/Flags played in but the funds dried up and what not. The Jackals were supposed to move there.

Afr's new stadium was being built in Kimball, next to an outlet mall. Pretty sure they only finished about 20% of it before running out of money. Not sure if it was ever torn down though.

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
I might be the minority here, I am still sore from the Outlaws leaving Williamsport, but I want there to be success in the league like the SPHL. But I think the start to the betterment of the league is to get actual arenas. Not just local rinks where the peewee kids 20 minutes before the game. I think Port Huron has an arena that fits what I am thinking of. And hopefully with Berkshire doing a 10.5 million dollar renovation it will get there. I hope the club works out.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
well

Well according to what I've heard Soskin has paid his bills and players on time.

Maybe his approach is like the new franchise in NY

The franchise in Watertown NY is owned by a group of local businessmen who went into the deal expecting to lose money. And they probably did. But are using it as a tax write off and that was part of their plan from the outset. they told any potential investors that if they expected to make money etc. they were not going to be happy.

The League owned franchise may have done OK re: players bills etc. but there was turnover in management during the season and that probably was related to money. But the players played hard and competed every night. Not sure how the attendance was but I think they got fairly good local support.

I've heard there's a rumor that some portion of the Whaler ownership may take over the Berkshire franchise. Not sure where that would leave the Whalers though they had good attendance but were financially strapped most of the season.

As for SW PA well........ not sure how that's going to play out if "Sticks and Stilletos" is coming back as owner she better bring deep pockets because it was a real struggle to put 15 players on the ice for the last 4-6 weeks of the season.

Frankly, the model used by the new Watertown NY franchise is a good one. It's viable financially and they were able to recruit and attract a good group of players.

Yes, they were young for the most part, and yes the league is primarily a young players league. But a number of the players got opportunities to play up in either the SP or the Coast for different periods of time.

In addition to finding viable ownership groups along the Watertown model the league should try and build partnerships with both SP and Coast teams and formalize them in some way to provide opportunities for player development and transfer from one league/team to the other.

But hey this is just my opinion, everyone has one.

F1

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Alko

Alko,

Not sure how to provide you numbers from what would be a private income tax return. However, check some articles about the Watertown Wolves franchise and the early development of the franchise. You will find a number of references to their 'model' which indicated they did not want investors/owners expecting to make money from the investment in the franchise.

On basic terms a business (even a Dr., dentist, or any small business) can use losses in one business area to offset gains in another. If you want a more in depth explanation talk to someone at H & R Block.

F1

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Me too. Someone could give us an example? how it works? also with numbers?

Basically, certain types of small businesses in the United States don't pay corporate income taxes on profits, and their profits/losses are instead passed through to the owners and reflected on their personal income taxes.

So if you make a lot of money outside of hockey, and own a hockey team, you might be able to have a lower taxable income if the hockey team is organized so that you can pass the losses through to your personal income taxes. That's a very, very short version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad