USA
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
The #Flames have assigned Michael Ferland to the @AHLFlames

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Joe Colborne has been activated from the Injured Reserve

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Didn't deserve to be sent down at all, victim of the roster-space crunch. Lovely.

EDIT: Not to say more time in the AHL is a bad thing for him either, I guess you can point to his lack of production as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really happy to have Colborne back. Hope he doesn't take too long to get up to speed.

I'm also happy for Ferland to have more time to develop. He plays a great style, but he did still get knocked off the puck quite easily a few times and I'm sure that will get better with experience.

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
with Bart finally getting the monkey off his back last night, maybe they play Ferland and bart with Vause and get them some serious AHL points, get their game/ confidence up to speed and by the trade deadline one of them can come back to the big club

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
with Bart finally getting the monkey off his back last night, maybe they play Ferland and bart with Vause and get them some serious AHL points, get their game/ confidence up to speed and by the trade deadline one of them can come back to the big club

poirier was on that line by the end of last game and they dominated. ferland could play with reinhart and maybe hanowski and they could have another first line

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I feel like Michael could easily play fourth line for Calgary, but he, like Baertschi, is best served playing big minutes in the AHL.

Really encouraged from what I saw from Michael though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Really happy to have Colborne back. Hope he doesn't take too long to get up to speed.

I'm also happy for Ferland to have more time to develop. He plays a great style, but he did still get knocked off the puck quite easily a few times and I'm sure that will get better with experience.

Is Anglesmith or the Intangibles happy? :laugh:

Apparently Colborne has gone beast mode in his training, I hope he's out there crushing people. I'm stoked to have him back as well.

I really hope a deal is made to get Ferland back up here, he looked really great while up and for sure he'll be a full timer by next year, I love that kid.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland had some pretty good flashes but he wasn't ready. While he could play on the fourth line and hold his own for the rest of the season, he and the Flames are better served by him going back Adirondack. He has top-9 potential and that needs to be developed.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ferland had some pretty good flashes but he wasn't ready. While he could play on the fourth line and hold his own for the rest of the season, he and the Flames are better served by him going back Adirondack. He has top-9 potential and that needs to be developed.

Hopefully from Sven's experience playing up here, he goes down and rips it up as well. It would be awesome if both Ferland and Sven are full time, productive players for us next year. Sven is so close.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Someone on CP said a good point that we probably would not have acquired Bollig/signed Setoguchi if we knew how ready our prospects were for the NHL club before the season even started. Basically, Bollig was insurance. It'll be interesting how this all pans out, I don't even remember the last time we've had a roster so deep in forwards.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hopefully from Sven's experience playing up here, he goes down and rips it up as well. It would be awesome if both Ferland and Sven are full time, productive players for us next year. Sven is so close.

Had a really good game with Adirondack yesterday apparently. Scored the game-tying goal. Highlights:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Someone on CP said a good point that we probably would not have acquired Bollig/signed Setoguchi if we knew how ready our prospects were for the NHL club before the season even started. Basically, Bollig was insurance. It'll be interesting how this all pans out, I don't even remember the last time we've had a roster so deep in forwards.

What a joke of an organization this is. They can't even manage their prospects! :sarcasm:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Weird. Seto makes sense (no assets to acquire him) but you'd think they would've just picked up another body in free agency if all they wanted Bollig for was insurance. Slightly miffed that they spend a 3rd round pick on a 4th liner.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Wow, Baertschi looked really good in that clip! I really, really hope he can turn his game around and build up his confidence. Potentially having a top-6 forward for no cost would be amazing... Or build up his value in a trade for a young/promising defender. Either way, good on him for elevating his game!

Also, that Poirier one-timer was an absolute rocket! (1:07)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bollig wasn't really insurance in the sense management wasn't sure if the prospects were ready. He was acquired to a) provide toughness while still being able to play regularly b) together with Engelland, stop McGrattan from being an everyday player c) insurance in the case that if the Flames were a terrible team, they wouldn't be a soft, easy win and d) cup experience for the lockerroom.

That being said, I would like to see a Wolf-Jooris-Ferland fourth line next season, for at least a few games.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bollig wasn't really insurance in the sense management wasn't sure if the prospects were ready. He was acquired to a) provide toughness while still being able to play regularly b) together with Engelland, stop McGrattan from being an everyday player c) insurance in the case that if the Flames were a terrible team, they wouldn't be a soft, easy win and d) cup experience for the lockerroom.

That being said, I would like to see a Wolf-Jooris-Ferland fourth line next season, for at least a few games.

I somewhat agree, but you have to think that we probably would not have traded Pittsburgh's 3rd rounder for Bollig had we known Ferland was going to be this good right out of the gate.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I somewhat agree, but you have to think that we probably would not have traded Pittsburgh's 3rd rounder for Bollig had we known Ferland was going to be this good right out of the gate.

I completely agree with the notion management was unfamiliar with their prospects when it came to some moves made in the off season. I just disagree Bollig or Engelland were part of that. Those guys or players like them would have been brought in regardless, as there's no one in the system that can bring what they do right now, which in other words is grit/truculence. As good as Ferland was, he's not quite ready to be both physical and contribute in other ways. he pretty much needs a full season with Adirondack but will definitely be a regular next season.

I do think that had management not underestimated the prospect pool, neither Raymond nor Setoguchi would have been signed though. Both are superfluous.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I completely agree with the notion management was unfamiliar with their prospects when it came to some moves made in the off season. I just disagree Bollig or Engelland were part of that. Those guys or players like them would have been brought in regardless, as there's no one in the system that can bring what they do right now, which in other words is grit/truculence. As good as Ferland was, he's not quite ready to be both physical and contribute in other ways. he pretty much needs a full season with Adirondack but will definitely be a regular next season.

I do think that had management not underestimated the prospect pool, neither Raymond nor Setoguchi would have been signed though. Both are superfluous.

Agreed. And I still do question why we traded a 3rd rounder for Bollig when we could have signed someone in free agency for lower money/term.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Agreed. And I still do question why we traded a 3rd rounder for Bollig when we could have signed someone in free agency for lower money/term.

Don't think there was anyone in free agency that brought the same attributes Bollig does (truculence, cup experience, not a complete liability on the ice). Treliving overpaid but I suspect Burke had his hand in this as well.

Waste of a pick probably but I'm sure the Burliving thought the Flames would be much lower in the standings and he'd be necessary to offset the size/style of Gaudreau/Raymond/Hudler, i.e. prevent them from being pushed around.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Had a really good game with Adirondack yesterday apparently. Scored the game-tying goal. Highlights:

Awesome play by Wolf at the end. I've seen a few Adinirondack games and he has really surprising offensive talent.

It's too bad you can't find streams for those anymore, because that team this year is almost as exciting to watch as Calgary is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Something I thought of as well, we have to remember that Treliving was not super familiar with our prospect pool and as mentioned, probably underestimated a few of our guys. So he brought in 1 or even 2 vets more than what we needed as an insurance policy. It's not a bad thing, now we just have more assets to deal when said players go out and steal a spot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Something I thought of as well, we have to remember that Treliving was not super familiar with our prospect pool and as mentioned, probably underestimated a few of our guys. So he brought in 1 or even 2 vets more than what we needed as an insurance policy. It's not a bad thing, now we just have more assets to deal when said players go out and steal a spot.

I think that's a big reason we picked up a bunch of extra guys that we're now looking at as being 'extras'.
We have to remember, Treliving was hired just two months before the draft and free-agency; when there was no hockey being played. There's no way he could understand our prospect depth as an outsider versus being inside the organization. Even excluding that, I don't think there's a single person on this entire forum that would have predicted Jooris' rise and Granlund's rise; and Johnny Hockey's right-away-impact.

I hope we start doing some spring cleaning pretty soon... Those kids played their ***** off, I think some of them deserve spots over some vets at this time; but of course, I want Calgary to grow from their vets.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He would have done the same IMO. It was about having depth as much as it was about not being sure if guys were ready. Had he not acquired Bollig, Raymond and Setoguchi it would have been Hanowski & co that were called up as injury replacements rather than the guys we did call up.

And honestly the only rookies that have earned the full-time gig IMO are Gaudreau and Jooris. Ferland has shown he is not out of place in the NHL, but was clearly not ready to contribute offensively. Granlund started hot but has not been the same the last several games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad