News Article: Ference will likely retire if bought out

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not going to lie, I'll be glad to see that cap hit disappear, but I hope he sticks around.

At least in the city if not with the team.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He's a good dude. We didn't have a ton of success in Edmonton but I wish him the best of luck after hockey.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Does it make sense to even buy him out at this point?

I am a Ference fan but it clear his play has certainly evaporated. I think he should retire whether he is bought out or not. Its the respectable thing to do. He can't honor his contract, aka play at the NHL level, he needs to just retire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Misleading title..

Ference isnt retiring after this season.
He will retire IF THE OILERS BUY HIM OUT

3.25 million reasons not to retire after this season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Feel a little bit bad for him, he never had a prayer of living up to expectations management set for him.

That being said, he obviously will not be missed on the ice. Have to imagine he has a position lined up in the front office somewhere, even if somebody has to invent one.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Does it make sense to even buy him out at this point?

I am a Ference fan but it clear his play has certainly evaporated. I think he should retire whether he is bought out or not. Its the respectable thing to do. He can't honor his contract, aka play at the NHL level, he needs to just retire

Honor vs $3,250,000 USD

Last edited by a moderator:

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Misleading title..

Ference isnt retiring after this season.
He will retire IF THE OILERS BUY HIM OUT

3.25 million reasons not to retire after this season.
You think he's speculating of a buyout? Him and chia have a long history I bet you he told him a buyout was coming

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Considering he has 1 year left, and there are better buy out candidates (Fayne) I wouldn't count on it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ference should just retire and take a "Community Ambassador" or something job with the Oilers and be paid what he would if bought out.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Considering he has 1 year left, and there are better buy out candidates (Fayne) I wouldn't count on it.
Fayne isnt a good buyout candidate...If bought out his cap hit of 1.17M will go til 2020 (4 more yrs) which would be well into Drai and McDavid's 2nd contracts.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Kind of a useless player, but the Oilers overpaid him and put him in a role he was destined to fail at (i.e., do the standard Oilers-thing). Still a good guy though, hope he has success after hockey.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Honor vs $3,250,000 USD

Exactly.

Am I just not remembering things correctly in that players used to retire with honor rather than milk a contract they clearly are unable to do their part for?

Is it common in todays NHL for players to just pretend they are still NHL level to collect their paycheck?

Don't get me wrong. I understand the Oilers offered him that contract but even as unlikely as it was, that he would be as useful as he was when he signed that contract, it is assumed/written, that a player is at least able to survive in the NHL.

I like Ference the player and person but done is done and collecting a paycheck without putting in the work or having the capability to fulfill ones contract is wrong.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I'd rather he just sit on IR for another year. The cap hit isn't necessary. Great guy but from a cap perspective, why buy him out for one year that he'll be recovering from surgery for?

One year on IR vs. two years of a 1 mill cap hit. Let him sit out. I know it seems like a small amount but the cap will likely go down for the next couple of years IMO.

http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/829?day=15&year=2016

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Also, ference has yet to have his hip surgery. So even if he doesn't get bought out he could be on LTIR for the start of the season depending on when he actually has the surgery

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Ference should just retire and take a "Community Ambassador" or something job with the Oilers and be paid what he would if bought out.

So 3.25 mill for an ambassador, or are you saying whatever he would get from a buyout pro-rated over those two years? I think the latter is what you are saying. Not a bad idea.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad