OT: Feel-Bad Thread / Captaincy thread

Aug 3, 2010
This thread is bad and I should feel bad.
If the mods close this, it's okay. I just needed a vent, but I'm not trying to incite anything here.

And I do feel bad - for players like Tanguay (who thought that he'd likely finish his career with Iginla), and Glencross (who is a hard-nosed, unselfish player who genuinely likes the team he plays for), Backlund, etc.

And players in the pipelines/prospects, like Baertschi.

Trading Iginla signalled the beginning of the end, I know. But at the same time, it's really frustrating to see good players who deserve better stick on a team that has lost its leader, lost its identity, and lost its will to win.

Who will lead this team? I hope it's Glencross.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I blame this season on that stupid Optimism Thread.

At least we got a rebuild going under way. Too bad our management is high in college players and can't seem to get good returns. Maybe third time is the charm, and we get a decent prospect coming back?

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
And I do feel bad - for players like Tanguay (who thought that he'd likely finish his career with Iginla), and Glencross (who is a hard-nosed, unselfish player who genuinely likes the team he plays for), Backlund, etc.

I don't feel bad for anyone on this roster. They're the reason we are where we are today.

I don't want to see the Captaincy go to anyone on this current roster.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't feel bad for anyone on this roster. They're the reason we are where we are today.

I don't want to see the Captaincy go to anyone on this current roster.
That's ridiculous. Malkin could have been be on this roster and it's likely that they'd wind up anywhere between 7-9th place finish in the West.

No single player deserving the blame for the loss might be true, but who on this team really could have lifted the group onto its shoulders?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I feel bad for Tanguay, Cammi, Glenny, Gio, Backlund, Sven, Brodie.

Everyone else, IDGAF.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
This thread is bad and I should feel bad.
If the mods close this, it's okay. I just needed a vent, but I'm not trying to incite anything here.

And players in the pipelines/prospects, like Baertschi.

Trading Iginla signalled the beginning of the end, I know. But at the same time, it's really frustrating to see good players who deserve better stick on a team that has lost its leader, lost its identity, and lost its will to win.

Who will lead this team? I hope it's Glencross.

The next captain thread has been already made

Aug 3, 2010
I feel bad for Tanguay, Cammi, Glenny, Gio, Backlund, Sven, Brodie.

Everyone else, IDGAF.

I kind of feel bad for Irving as well. His mismanagement has been ridiculous, I can't really help but think he might feel relieved.

Also, Erixon got out while the getting was good. :shakehead

TylerSVT*

Feasters great plan of playing a Career LW as our #1C, signing overpriced UFA's and making horrible moves are what has brought this team to where it is.

Bad management that is in line with the Oilers IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
To be honest as much as I have hated the last 2 deals a lot of the blame is on Sutter.

How so? Both Iginla and Bouwmeester would have received a NTC regardless of where they went.

Feasters great plan of playing a Career LW as our #1C, signing overpriced UFA's and making horrible moves are what has brought this team to where it is.

Bad management that is in line with the Oilers IMO.

Flames have a significantly worse management than the Oilers. That's the sad reality of the situation now.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How so? Both Iginla and Bouwmeester would have received a NTC regardless of where they went.

Not saying they wouldn't have but you can't blame Feaster for being handcuffed by NTC's that he didn't give out nor is it his fault that Butter ran him into the ground. Not saying Feaster is much better as Sarich and Babchuck have NTC but those 2 particular contracts aren't his fault.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Feel bad for these guys? **** that, they're millionaire athletes that get to play the greatest sport on the planet.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not saying they wouldn't have but you can't blame Feaster for being handcuffed by NTC's that he didn't give out nor is it his fault that Butter ran him into the ground. Not saying Feaster is much better as Sarich and Babchuck have NTC but those 2 particular contracts aren't his fault.

NTC's didn't prevent Regehr or Morrow from receiving significant returns. It's not the clauses which diluted what the Flames got, it's the inability of Feaster or whoever is running this mess to understand how to actually negotiate or utilize leverage to their favour. And for a room full of oil tycoons and lawyers, that's embarrassing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I want to join the feel bad thread, because I definitely need a place to vent.

There's a lot of frustration in Calgary, and it's ****ed up that we always want to see the silver lining and be hopeful for the future, when I think we all know there's little to no chance any of it comes to fruition.

The firsts we got are nice, but it truly means **** all if we draft idiotically; as we always seem to do except for once in a blue moon.
I think everyone reading this post, when they think of the three firsts are like... hmm, maybe two can be used to move down! Master plan! But I think we all know Feaster doesn't have the juice to pull of that kind of move.

Tough watching this team now, tough watching where this team's heading, tough being a fan of the Calgary Flames for what seems like eternity. I think this team's maybe got 3 or 4 wins in them for the rest of the season... which is fine by me at this point of time. I'm hoping Florida or Colorado start winning out a bit more. In my ideal world, Calgary finishes second last in the league and is able to draft Nate Mackinnon.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
No single player deserving the blame for the loss might be true, but who on this team really could have lifted the group onto its shoulders?

Who? How about the entire team? What are you feeling bad for these guys for? They're the ones underachieving year after year, sitting back on the ice and waiting for good things to happen instead of making them happen (Tanguay even admitted as much), not coming out with the urgency needed, etc. Like I said, I don't feel bad for any of them. They're - THE TEAM - the reason we're having a firesale and the reason many coaches have lost their job in this city.

Hopefully many more to be dealt.

Aug 3, 2010
Who? How about the entire team? What are you feeling bad for these guys for? They're the ones underachieving year after year, sitting back on the ice and waiting for good things to happen instead of making them happen (Tanguay even admitted as much), not coming out with the urgency needed, etc. Like I said, I don't feel bad for any of them. They're - THE TEAM - the reason we're having a firesale and the reason many coaches have lost their job in this city.

Hopefully many more to be dealt.

I agree in some ways especially where it's more of a team culture thing. Kind of how the Oilers are currently 'built to lose', because that is their team culture that they need to shake - Calgary has had that too, probably since 2007-2008.

But my point is, it's not like a single player could have shifted the entire team's mindset/ability level.

And we the fans could look to the coaching, but I'm not really throwing Hartley in or out of the equation of this current blackhole of a team since Calgary has feasted and digested their way through coaches since Darryl Sutter as some kind of panacea cure-all reason for why the players underperform.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I agree in some ways especially where it's more of a team culture thing.

Exactly. We need a shift in philosophy here. That's why I want the majority of the players involved with this team's culture the last few years out the door.

Unfortunately, I doubt we see King and Feaster follow, which is really needed.

But my point is, it's not like a single player could have shifted the entire team's mindset/ability level.

I don't think it's a single player scenario either. I think this team's constant ******** the bed is a collective effort. That's why I want to see as many traded as possible.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Habs fan first but also a Flames fan... I feel for your team and fan base but this rebuild was a long time coming. Hope you guys get some really nice pick ups in the draft and start building a solid future. I think you need a management and scouting overhaul though to build a culture of success. Maybe Brian Burke? Either way, hang in there and hope some good luck heads your way.

TylerSVT*

Exactly. We need a shift in philosophy here. That's why I want the majority of the players involved with this team's culture the last few years out the door.

They are changing the Philospohy, its clear they are targeting players that play 100% every night, they want a compete team. Problem is, they are targeting players who play hard, but have little skill. So we will get to watch a team compete night in and night out, but never score. It will be like watching a team of Lombardi's, all heart and no skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad