Who had the better season?

• Fedorov

• Malkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Who had the better season?

Fedorov

82 games, 56 goals, 64 assists, 120 points.(1.46 PPG), +48. Won the Hart, Selke, Lindsay. 3rd in goals and 2nd in points.

Malkin

75 games, 50 goals, 59 assists, 109 points (1.45 PPG), +18. Won the Hart, Art Ross and Pearson. 2nd in goals.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Malkin takes it just by the fact that scoring in 2012 was way below scoring in 1994. Also, Malkin had by far the worst teammates between the 2 (Sid played only 22 games that season).

Reactions: Casanova

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'll give Malkin the edge offensively for that season but Fedorov winning the selke that year is too much to pass up imo.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
According to hockey-reference.com’s adjusting scoring (which is imperfect, but usually a decent ballpark estimate), Malkin is ahead 122-109 in adjusted points. Both led their team in scoring by essentially the same margin (27-28 points). But Fedorov won the Selke trophy, while Malkin was nothing special defensively. I’d easily trade those 13 extra points for Selke caliber defensive play.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Comfortably Fedorov. Slightly lesser offensive season with legitimate Selke calibre defence.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
According to hockey-reference.com’s adjusting scoring (which is imperfect, but usually a decent ballpark estimate), Malkin is ahead 122-109 in adjusted points. Both led their team in scoring by essentially the same margin (27-28 points). But Fedorov won the Selke trophy, while Malkin was nothing special defensively. I’d easily trade those 13 extra points for Selke caliber defensive play.

Yup. Malkin is better player than Fedorov but the best season goes to Sergei. Equally good goal-scorer. Marginally worse overall offensive input and miles better overall game. Fedorov's season might just be the greatest NHL season by any Russian/Soviet player ever.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yup. Malkin is better player than Fedorov but the best season goes to Sergei. Equally good goal-scorer. Marginally worse overall offensive input and miles better overall game. Fedorov's season might just be the greatest NHL season by any Russian/Soviet player ever.

Ovechkin 07/08 is easily better.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I voted for Fedorov. It's crazy to think that without a still great Gretzky, he could won the Art Ross too. Was also just four goals behind Bure, who was the leading goal scorer. Very impressive.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
It's probably better but it's not easily.
Kind of easily imo. 65 goals, only 8 points less in a lower scoring era and obviously Rocket, Hart, Art ross, Lindsay. 43 points to the second best scorer on the team which was the rookie Bäckström.
And just look at Fedorovs team... jesus christ. While some of them weren't really in their prime it still wasn't a collection of scrubs in any way.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This thread demonstrates that plenty of people don't grasp how good Fedorov was defensively. Just slightly below Bergeron defensively but well above every other Selke winner in the last 10 years, while finishing second in scoring and third in goals. None of Malkin, Ovechkin or Crosby blows that season away even at peak.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This thread demonstrates that plenty of people don't grasp how good Fedorov was defensively. Just slightly below Bergeron defensively but well above every other Selke winner in the last 10 years, while finishing second in scoring and third in goals. None of Malkin, Ovechkin or Crosby blows that season away even at peak.

His skating and positioning was perfect. Unreal to watch really. It felt like he was never out of position. He basically controlled the ice similarly as EK does with his skating, yet Feds was stronger and bigger. And played C. That one peak season is arguably better than OV's 65 goal season and that's saying a lot.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

So he's just below Bergeron, but well above Datsyuk? I don't believe so, but he was probably atleast a bit better defensively. It would be interesting if possession stats existed back then to see how well he would've done.

I personally believe Fedorov at his best, that season and a few playoff runs, was as dominant as any forward since...perhaps even more so. It's a shame he never had more seasons of that caliber, because I believe he had the talent to do so.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Malkin also played 7 less games

Reactions: Casanova

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So he's just below Bergeron, but well above Datsyuk? I don't believe so, but he was probably atleast a bit better defensively. It would be interesting if possession stats existed back then to see how well he would've done.

I personally believe Fedorov at his best, that season and a few playoff runs, was as dominant as any forward since...perhaps even more so. It's a shame he never had more seasons of that caliber, because I believe he had the talent to do so.

Yes, well above Datsyuk defensively whether you believe that or not. Datsyuk was overrated defensively, while Fedorov is actually underrated if anything in that regard.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yes, well above Datsyuk defensively whether you believe that or not. Datsyuk was overrated defensively, while Fedorov is actually underrated if anything in that regard.

Oh so it's a fact now because JackSlater said so. You severely underrate peak Datsyuk, Bergeron was/is better defensively but in no way is it by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad