Federal Hockey League..."the silence is deafening"...

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I see in their Free Agent camp, the guys they signed were 3rd or 4th liners from Junior A Teir 2 teams or NCAA Div 3 schools. Not very good numbers when I looked them up on hockeydb.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I really hope at least Danbury can get an arena and move onto the SPHL or ECHL or something. Clearly hockey works there.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
If they went to the ECHL, the closest teams would be Elmira (3.5-4 hrs), Reading (3.5-4 hrs), and Wheeling (5.5 hrs), which actually seems like the standard for the three teams in the Atlantic Divison.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
If they went to the ECHL, the closest teams would be Elmira (3.5-4 hrs), Reading (3.5-4 hrs), and Wheeling (5.5 hrs), which actually seems like the standard for the three teams in the Atlantic Divison.

That wouldn't be to bad. Danbury deserves something better than this league.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
No more Akwesane? I heard that was an island that you had to pay a toll to access because it is tribal land.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
To bad, having been to the Danbury arena many times over the last decade for all the teams in all the leagues that Danbury has participated in (Trashers, Mad Hatters, Whalers), I can honestly say that it has always been fun and the fans passionate.

Though I am an NHL fan who hardly ever misses a Ranger game on cable, and though the difference in skill levels is evident from the first drop of the puck, it is still hockey, still competitive, still enjoyable.

It will be a shame that, if the FHL doesn't survive, Danbury would be out in the cold without a team. Though there was talk a few years ago about a new arena capable of hosted ECHL hockey, that seems to have died away. The current arena is really not up to EPHL standards, and unless the league becomes desperate to find a home for a team that will draw 1500-2500 per game, I don't see a move to the EPHL in the offing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There is no requirement per se, but the Danbury Ice Arena is not a sufficient facility.

I've never fully understood that rationale. If you can get 3,000+ fans to support a team on a regular basis who cares if the DIA is basically a glorified rec rink? If the team can pay the bills and be viable isn't that what should count?

jhskier

Jan 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
My home ice rink, the Connellsville Ice Mine is hosting a neutral site game between Danville and Watertown on March 22nd. For those wondering, Connellsville is 50 miles south of Pittsburgh. It seems this is an attempt to promote expansion of the league. I would be very excited to have a team here, but I just don't think there would be enough fan interest to support it.

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
My home ice rink, the Connellsville Ice Mine is hosting a neutral site game between Danville and Watertown on March 22nd. For those wondering, Connellsville is 50 miles south of Pittsburgh. It seems this is an attempt to promote expansion of the league. I would be very excited to have a team here, but I just don't think there would be enough fan interest to support it.

Have you ever seen an FHL game? You will quickly understand why fans will lose interest.

I feel sorry for any potential city that the FHL attempts to expand too, the city of Williamsport is still dealing with the aftermath!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Have you ever seen an FHL game? You will quickly understand why fans will lose interest.

I feel sorry for any potential city that the FHL attempts to expand too, the city of Williamsport is still dealing with the aftermath!

Williamsport, was/is in its position, Sniper, bc it's bad ownership, and an outdoor arena didn't help matters

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010

this might be an.....interesting game?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-coaches-battle-announcer-233703390--nhl.html

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
Williamsport, was/is in its position, Sniper, bc it's bad ownership, and an outdoor arena didn't help matters

Exactly......but the league itself was heavily involved with promoting the outdoor venue and contributed greatly to why the team defaulted on payments. The league promised to subsidize a large portion of the expense, thinking this "gimmick" would bring huge crowds to every game, it didn't pan out and the league stiffed the team owners on several bills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad