News Article: February 5

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins forward Daniel Paille returns to practice
Paille’s misfortune appears to be short term. Monday, Paille returned to practice at Ristuccia Arena. He could be cleared to play against Montreal Wednesday at the Bell Centre.

“At first, I was a bit worried about what could happen,†Paille said. “But I was lucky that it’s not serious and I was able to come back right away.â€

Paille practiced on the fourth line Monday with Lane MacDermid and Jamie Tardif. Paille did not participate in a three-on-three battle drill. The area around his left eye appeared bruised and slightly swollen after practice.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...ns-practice/7lFBPCI9bg61lG3ozbKDRL/story.html

Ryan Spooner recalled from Providence
The transaction indicates that Brad Marchand might not be available for Wednesday’s game against Montreal. Marchand was injured in the second period of Saturday’s 1-0 win over Toronto when he crashed into the end boards. Marchand didn’t practice today.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/02/ryan_spooner_re.html

Matt Grzelcyk of Boston University making an impression
Another special aspect of playing in the Garden now is the fact that Grzelcyk is a Bruins prospect. The freshman defenseman was selected in the third round (No. 85 overall) of the NHL draft last June and participated in the team’s development camp.

“When I got drafted, one of the first things that came into my mind was all those times skating at the Garden with my dad,’’ said Grzelcyk, whose time playing for the US National Under-18 team in Michigan helped make the transition to college practically seamless. “That’s pretty cool in itself, just to be a part of the organization.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleg...-impression/LDg3CUhAU0il0FlTm28fVL/story.html

Shawn Thornton back on skates .
WILMINGTON — In the immediate aftermath of Shawn Thornton’s fight with Buffalo’s John Scott last Thursday, which left the Bruins enforcer with a concussion, several teammates said that, knowing Thornton, they didn’t think he’d be out too long.

Well, that appears to be the case. Thornton, whom the B’s expected to miss 7-10 days, skated yesterday for the first time since the concussion. While coach Claude Julien termed him “very doubtful†for tomorrow’s game in Montreal, he said all signs are positive.

Thornton skated with strength coach John Whitesides before practice.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/2013/02/shawn_thornton_back_skates

Injured Bruins making progress
WILMINGTON — All things considered, Claude Julien’s update was pretty upbeat. The Bruins’ coach used a patchwork lineup of forwards at Monday morning’s practice at Ristuccia Arena, but sounded like he expected things to return to normal soon.

“Right now, there’s nobody that’s a definite no … for the next game,†said Julien, who later amended that slightly by classifying winger Shawn Thornton (concussion) as “very doubtful†for Wednesday’s game at Montreal. “Before we leave, we should know who can and can’t play on Wednesday.â€

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x1893335698/BRUINS-NOTEBOOK-Injured-Bruins-making-progress

Boston Bruins showing confidence in depth players
WILMINGTON — Many will remember it as the game in which Lane MacDermid fought twice – and battered Toronto’s Mark Fraser in their second scrap of the night.

MacDermid certainly won’t forget that, but he’ll probably recall Saturday’s game at Air Canada Centre as the one in which he just missed scoring his first NHL goal.

“It happened so quickly,†said the Bruins’ tough, 23-ear-old winger. “I tried my best to get it in. It was pretty close.â€

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x1893335704/Boston-Bruins-showing-confidence-in-depth-players

Kaoz*

LKH
Spooner-Bergeron-Seguin
Bourque-Kelly-Pervs
Paille-Campbell-Tardiff

That certainly looks better, but doesn't appear to be what Julien has in mind:

From the Paille practicing article:
Campbell practiced in Marchand’s spot alongside Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin. Campbell also rode on the second line in Saturday night’s third period.

“With Tyler on the right side with high-end offensive skills, I think Bergy can benefit from a guy who’s a good two-way player as well,†Julien said. “Where Gregory sometimes doesn’t get enough credit is when he’s got players like that to play with, you’re going to see him go to the front of the net. You’re going to see him grind it out. He’s going to give that line some offense. This is certainly not a guy who’s not going to give offense. He’s capable of doing it.â€

I disagree with Julien... but, I have before and the guy helped Boston to a Cup so in my opinion it doesn't matter if I disagree or not. :P

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Would like Macdermid to play especially with that ginger Ryan White playing

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I disagree with Julien... but, I have before and the guy helped Boston to a Cup so in my opinion it doesn't matter if I disagree or not. :P

We need Neely and his "You can't win 0-0" speech again!!!! :laugh:

I think it's cool though that Julien rewards Paille and Campbell with promotions when guys are hurt,..they deserve it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I disagree as well, and you won't find a bigger Julien fan/supporter than me.

Maybe he feels that the team is too thin (with Bourque, Tardif and MacDermid in the lineup) to roll 4 lines and didn't want to see Campbell sitting on the bench the whole night.

Or maybe he feels that, with Seguin's struggles to get back up to speed (in terms of his board work/compete) that the line needs someone who can win battles and grind more than it needs a 170lb speedster. :dunno:

But man, I really hope we get to see Spooner play with Seguin before he gets sent back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad