February 28 2010.......The Golden Goal

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I disagree with you, a fan of his team, about how significant his goal was. I don't see how that proves I'm irrational and have hatred.

I've never put much investment in the Olympics because the teams are together for such a short period of time, the players don't care as much as they do the stanley cup playoffs, the single game elimination makes it so chance based, and it's a media-***** bandwagon frenzy for people who don't care about or understand hockey.

Crosby is an amazing player but that goal is incredibly overplayed. He was not very good in the Olympics and the goal was a weak five-hole. Give me his performance against Washington in 2009 or several other moments if I'm fondly remembering Crosby at the top of his game.

But hey, I watch hockey for the hockey itself, not to find things that would be good for posters in my bedroom or for something to talk about at the water cooler. I must be irrational.

Except the best team won in 2010. They play the games for a reason. I guess you missed the elation on the face of Crosby when he scored the goal. Don't tell me the NHL guys don't want an Olympic gold medal..........on home ice especially.

How about the other goals in that game? Toews? Perry? Then Parise's tying goal? Did they seem lethargic to you during their celebrations? And yes, Crosby had played better, but is it not a compliment to a player when he has 7 points in 7 games with two game winners yet we still think he "didn't play all that well." I agree he played the best I've ever seen him play in 2009 vs. Washington but alas there wasn't that "where were you" moment either.

I think moments like this are good for the game. Whether it's the Henderson goal, the Miracle on Ice, the Lemieux goal etc. Why is it so bad that a game can unite a country?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad