GDT: February 24th, 2013: Bruins @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

I tore a ligament in my elbow so the only way for me to post for the time being is on my phone...so im going to keep this short

This season is done. You can just feel it. That being said there are some positives. Huberdeau Mueller Shore Kulikov Matkstrom and to a lesser extent Gudbranson are a nice core of young guys to build around.

We also have some solid vets who will come back next year. Like everyone else... Im growing to love Kopecky. Love his passion. Great 3rd liner.

amf althoigh their play.has been subpar this year... Campbell Fleishmann and Versteeg are still good pieces.

The downside is Tallon has littered this team with what amounts to the hovkey equivalent of diarrhea. Kuba is awful. Jovo is awful. Upshall is useless. Clemmensen sucks. All these guys are signed for next season... but they shouldnt be brought back next season. Theyre terrible. Itll be interesting to see if he can get anyone go take one or two of those players and get us off the hook.

He also needs to replace Smithson, Santorelli, Kovalev and even Matthias/Skille with more effective grinders who are effective in their roles. A team like Boston is not only good because they have offensive players... but they have guys like Paille,Campbell, Kelly, etc who are very VERY good defensive forwards.

Tallon did a very poor job of contructing this team this year. What made us such a good team last year is our downfall this season. Our bottom 6/9 forwards were filled with those typr of guys. Madden. Sturm Samuelsson and Bergenheim replaced by unreliable turds is killing us.

Anyway... all these guys have expiring contracts and/or can be bought out. Kovalev. Smithson. Parros and Santorelli all should be gone. and before anyone defends Parros... did his presence stop us from playing soft tonight? We need team toughness like Boston has. Not one useless goon and a team full of pansies.

Ive also about had it with Skille and Matthias. Theyre not good defensively and i dont thinkbits worth waitibg for them to develop the defensive aspect of their game. IF they ever develop it. Were better off trying to bring in a veteran who can do their kob effectively/bring some experience to what will probably be a young team next year. Theyre dime a dozen players... we threw Campbell into the Horton deal as he was nothing and hes a great 3rd-4th liner.

One last complaint: and ill get bashed for it.... but i still dont like the Gudbranson pick. I love the physical presence he brings. But hes not a good defensman right now. Hes lanky, borderline goofy on his skates. Decent mobility for his size but his defensive game needs a ******** of work. As does his offense. No clue why Dineen has him on the PP. He has no pose with the puck...anyone gets near him and he throws a weak wristsr on net that gets blocked or throws the puck into the corner. Hes also a -10 now in 9 games i think. Brutal.

Hes only 20 so I know he has upside to learn and improve. And i Still consider him part of our core. But i still hate the selection from two years ago. Hes shown me nothing.

So much for keeping the post shirt eh? ;)

I think you're wrong about Matthias. I've never been his biggest fan really, but he's been really solid this year and he's getting better.

Not sure why you say he's not good defensively; I think he is. He came into today's game as a +1 on a pretty bad team.

He also, for the most part, has given a consistent effort and he's created some offense. I don't have much hope for his offense. He seems to lack the ability to finish, but I think he's a great 4th liner. Still cheap, still young, can skate, big, willing to stick up for teammates. I've grown to like him. And again, I think he's one of our best defensive forwards (not that that's saying much because this team doesn't have many of those, especially since Weiss became a turd).

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
So we should keep the garbage players because the return won't be great?

No you don't keep them but you don't build a contender with the 7th and 8th round draft picks they will bring back. It wasn't meant as either or. It's about a real youth movement and getting some higher end return for some of our current assets that actually may have some value on the trade market.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Seems like everything is going against us.

Consistently on the short side of officiating.

Fluke goals are going against us nightly, and I can't think of more that a couple we have scored all season.

Just can't catch a break.
At this point, just hope for no career threatening injuries and start looking towards the future. I wouldn't blow it up, because the core is solid, but it may be time to say goodbye to guys like Goc, Weaver, kuba (if anyone will take him) and maybe even Weiss.

Also our centers being kicked out of the circle 8 times per game.

WTF is going on with that ?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thank you as always AG! I :laugh: when Marky came to the bench for the extra attacker and some little kid gave him props for a good game then I realized it was THEO. Marky looks 3feet taller than Theo.

I just wish I knew the real story with Weiss. I mean if he's injured then rest him, the season is on life support anyhow, if he's upset and wants to be traded then tell Tallon and start looking at options and be ready for April 3rd and if he's not peforming than do what Dineen did today which is bench him.

Weiss probably feels that he gives the team a better chance to win than some AHL scrub, and he's right. If Santorelli was in his place, would we be any better? I think we'd probably be worse.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I can't imagine this not being the last straw for Tallon, how many losses and terrible games do we have to play for him to do something? Trade Weiss for whatever we can get, it doesn't even matter if we don't have him as a first line center, Shore is our first line center at this point.

If we don't have a winning record in our next few games, expect to see some expensive contracts moved out according to Bob McKenzie. For picks and prospects.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Is Bjustad ready to step in next season? What top end UFA's are out there? We need a true star forward and a good dman on this team ASAP. The money we have tied up in Kuba-Jovanovski could fetch us a 7M$ DMAN! God dammit!

Even if Bjugstad was ready to step in, he's not ready to be a 1st line center. If Ellerby was traded because of money issues, I wouldn't expect to see a star forward brought in. I think Jovo will retire. I can't imagine he wants to keep playing at a level like this. I think we will just bring up Robak or Petrovic though, or sign a 6/7 guy. They seem to like Strachan as a regular.

I agree. I know he takes a lot of crap here, but I like the guy. And his completely made-up words make me laugh. What more do you need?

I just wish he spoke English. He's embarrassing.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's a question of knowing if the value we can get from him is higher than the drop off of his replacement.

If we can get at least a 2nd/3rd round pick for him, the answer is yes. I like him but he'd be gone after next season anyway with Bjugstad and Shore occupying center ranks and whoever we bring in to replace Weiss I assume will be signed for more than one season.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Exactly, that's why he might offer us a half decent return. All the other players that everyone seems to want to get rid of; in reality what will they bring bacK? Goc has value in the trade market yet in a losing season here, his age and his ability compared to Matthias is not really worth keeping him here in my opinion. Matthias is much younger, already comparable and has more future upside.
Goc is underrated. He's not going to bring back much more than all of those other "garbage players".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad