Injury Report: Feb. 26: Emery placed on injured reserve; Mason activated

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kenny Reiter is the only other goalie on the roster according to their website. They signed Matt Tendler as an emergency backup.

Generally what happens in the ECHL. They gotta through lower leagues and bring guys in on PTO's.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Anthony Stolarz reassigned to Lehigh Valley, Mason to dress Thursday

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...gned-to-lehigh-valley-mason-to-dress-thursday

I find it quite odd how quickly the team will let Mason return from surgery to be the backup while seeming to be 100% satisfied by re-signing Ray Emery to be your planned backup for the entire year.

EDIT: And for the record, I'm generally pretty sympathetic to the Flyers medical staff. This is more about managerial priorities that seem to conflict, though.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I find it quite odd how quickly the team will let Mason return from surgery to be the backup while seeming to be 100% satisfied by re-signing Ray Emery to be your planned backup for the entire year.

EDIT: And for the record, I'm generally pretty sympathetic to the Flyers medical staff. This is more about managerial priorities that seem to conflict, though.

thought they had said a couple of weeks ago that Mason would back in closer to 3 weeks than 2. we are 2 weeks and a day since that surgery. I hope he isn't being rushed back.
I would start Zepp tomorrow and see how Mason is on Saturday.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I see Zepp being in net for the whole game regardless of the score.

I can't imagine they would bring in Mason cold, in a game they are losing.

Of course, if Zepp gets hurt...that changes everything.

Dumping Carlo C for a depth goalie could have beena ok move to make.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Nobody want's CC. He has no value. They will most likely be waiving him soon when Kimmo is coming back. I would be surprised if they find a taker for him.

RJ8812*

Said it once and I'll say it again, Mason should be shut down baring a playoff spot.

Players just don't want to be "shut down" for the season. If Mason feels he is ready to return and gets the OK from the training staff, he's going to want to get right back in there

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nobody want's CC. He has no value. They will most likely be waiving him soon when Kimmo is coming back. I would be surprised if they find a taker for him.

I agree he has no value...except to a team that wants a depth guy for the playoffs and wants to offload an extra goalie.

I was not talking about a Carlo C for Reimer deal..more like for a LaBarbera type. In essence...a placeholder as a backup for Mason and Emery can recoup and Stolarz can go play in the AHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz is going to play in the AHL. In tandem with Ouellette while Emery is hurt, and with Zepp when Emery is healthy.

Players just don't want to be "shut down" for the season. If Mason feels he is ready to return and gets the OK from the training staff, he's going to want to get right back in there

And shutting a guy down for 3 months because of a 3 week injury is the dictionary definition of tanking.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Stolarz is going to play in the AHL. In tandem with Ouellette while Emery is hurt, and with Zepp when Emery is healthy.

And shutting a guy down for 3 months because of a 3 week injury is the dictionary definition of tanking.

The thing is, there are no microwave-clear displays on injuries. Despite huge advances in imaging and other diagnostic tests, an injury that may give every impression it is healed can quickly turn into something worse. This little bit of hypochondria is worth considering when Mason has missed time for multiple injuries and seems to be settling into a pattern of coming back quickly, then going back on IR in short order.

It's all well and good for the competitive juices to push him to want to be on the ice, but there's long term to consider for his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad