Favourite Stephen King Adaptation

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
According to Wikipedia, there have been a whopping 69 existing and planned film adaptations of Stephen King (and other noms de plume) along with 51 television adaptations.

What are your personal favourites?

One that surprised me was Dolores Claiborne, which probably shouldn’t have given Kathy Bates’ almost iconic portrayals of his characters, but it was a really enjoyable and deep thriller with great performances from the four leads.

I think I tend to like the more human stories and less of the horror ones - Misery, Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, Needful Things.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Misery is probably my favorite, with The Running Man right behind it. Next would probably be The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me. I guess that I prefer the stories that are somewhat plausible rather than supernatural.

BTW, I just learned that Needful Things was directed by Charlton Heston's son.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Misery is probably my favorite, with The Running Man right behind it. Next would probably be The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me. I guess that I, too, prefer the stories that are less horror.

The Running Man was great fun.

Richard Dawson stole the movie.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Aside from the big ones (Shawshank, The Shining, IT, etc.) I always had a soft-spot for Dreamcatcher. It's definitely not the best movie, but it's just so quirky and weird and I really loved it.

The ending cracked me up so hard when I was younger. Granted I never read the book, so I don't know how closely adapted the film was to the book.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and NyQuil

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The Shining and IT (the original miniseries) are far and away my favorite ones.

But probably the most fun you can have watching a movie and IMO the best B movie ever made is Maximum Overdrive. Autonomous trucks running into shit while AC/DC blasts in the background...just amazing

Reactions: NyQuil

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Misery is probably my favorite, with The Running Man right behind it. Next would probably be The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me. I guess thatI prefer the stories that are somewhat plausible rather than supernatural.

interesting you say Running Man. The book is about 1000x better than the movie and a lot different. Would've been a much better movie if they stuck with the book IMO.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I've seen very few of his works adaptations. The Shining, Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand By Me and the most recent It chapter one and two.

I'm hoping for someone to eventually make a Dark Tower tv series, and do it right. Make each book into a 6-10 episode season. I have zero intention of watching the movie after knowing how much they tried to cram into one film and hearing how bad i was.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I've seen very few of his works adaptations. The Shining, Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand By Me and the most recent It chapter one and two.

I'm hoping for someone to eventually make a Dark Tower tv series, and do it right. Make each book into a 6-10 episode season. I have zero intention of watching the movie after knowing how much they tried to cram into one film and hearing how bad i was.
I can only hope. Dark Tower is one of my all time favorite series and it would be hard to make but it could be I think.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Shining is the best film based on one of his novels but probably not the best adaptation of his work. I actually like the two Mike Flanagan has done, in particular I thought Doctor Sleep was great.

Depends how you want to define adaptation. When people are fans of someone's work, it seems they tend to want as faithful a transcription from page to screen as possible. I want a good movie. Kubrick preserved many of the key elements from King's book, so I don't think it's dishonest to call it an adaptation.

I know King disagrees with this to a certain extent, but considering how many of his more purely horror works have been adapted into some pretty mediocre to down right awful movies I think it might be a smart move to be a little liberal with it. :laugh:

I like Flanagan's work in general, too.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
To me...

The Shinning
-
-
-
Carrie
The Dead Zone
Stand By Me
-
Christine
It (Chapter1/2), not the TV show which have aged very badly

Quite a few others that I like. Silver Bullet would be my guilty pleasure one. Pretty bad film, but kind of fun. I'd have to rewatch a few to name the worst one, but Lawnmower Man, Maximum Overdrive and The Night Shift are all very bad. Still a few I haven't seen, but not much.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Is it cheating to call out the Creepshows as guilty pleasure favorites? Some of them original scripts by King, some adaptations.

There was also a pretty good rendition of "The Ledge" I watched many years ago. That's one of the best King short stories and he was only about 25 when he wrote it

Edit - it's also baffling that people could call Maximum Overdrive a bad movie. Yes, it's mindless fun and deserves to be pilloried by critics. But that movie did every single thing it set out to do. That's flawless execution right there, and it's not like the source material was trying to be Hamlet

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The worst adaptation has got to be The Dark Tower...

krusty-the-clown-what-the-hell.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad