NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
912510.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

That's a good thing, I find it odd that Matt Groening decided to be a piece of shit about it, just recently you have Asians having a larger voice and fighting stereotypes and asking for more roles to be more visible, Indian/South Asian people are now speaking up about how that accent was offensive to them and Hank Azaria hears them and feels bad about it and steps back and Matt's take is...oh boo hoo, basically?

What a piece of shit that guy is. You can't be mad at a minority that just recently, is starting to get heard. I mean I have no gripes about the way he portrays black characters because he mostly just plays it safe because knows what would happen if he decided to mock it the same way he did Apu.

For the most part, his mockery is what, Bill Cosby, Mike Tyson? Cool cop Karl? I don't even think it's all that great towards Asians.

Sep 19, 2008
That's a good thing, I find it odd that Matt Groening decided to be a piece of **** about it, just recently you have Asians having a larger voice and fighting stereotypes and asking for more roles to be more visible, Indian/South Asian people are now speaking up about how that accent was offensive to them and Hank Azaria hears them and feels bad about it and steps back and Matt's take is...oh boo hoo, basically?

What a piece of **** that guy is. You can't be mad at a minority that just recently, is starting to get heard. I mean I have no gripes about the way he portrays black characters because he mostly just plays it safe because knows what would happen if he decided to mock it the same way he did Apu.

For the most part, his mockery is what, Bill Cosby, Mike Tyson? Cool cop Karl? I don't even think it's all that great towards Asians.
So why don't you just remove all minorities from Springfield? After all, they are "offensive". When will hispanics be "woke" about Bumblebee man. Nothing good ever happens to him!

Reactions: McRpro

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So why don't you just remove all minorities from Springfield? After all, they are "offensive". When will hispanics be "woke" about Bumblebee man. Nothing good ever happens to him!
You don't understand parody.

Like at all. Also, as a black dude, none of the stuff Simpsons has done to Mexican and Black characters are remotely offensive. But a mocking accent? Right, that group of minorities should just "suck it up" right?

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

Like at all. Also, as a black dude, none of the stuff Simpsons has done to Mexican and Black characters are remotely offensive. But a mocking accent? Right, that group of minorities should just "suck it up" right?

Apu is actually one of the more fleshed out characters on the show if Apu was just "an accent" and served nothing more then to mock Indian Immigrants I could see a point but he really isn't just that compared to many other characters on the show.

Like Apu gets multiple full episodes in the show there are lots of good video's online why this Apu controversy is BS even from other Indians.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008

How is apu a mocking accent...

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Don't know if it was said, but Homer can't stop screaming so they have to go back into his past to see the problem. The episode is a parody of Stand By Me as it goes back into his youth with Moe, Lenny and Carl. Anyway, they've gone on a camp-out along train-tracks, in the backwoods. Around the camp fire Carl says, "hey have you guys heard of this new thing called the internet?" Keep in mind this is supposed to be in the early 70s. They all go "no," so Carl says, "it's this netting on the inside of your swim-trunks," and holds them up. Later they find the source of Homer's fear, as he dove into a pool off a cliff and got caught up with a decaying body from waste disposal of the power plant (something like that). Anyway, Lenny and Carl and Moe are standing at the top of the cliff urging each other to jump. Then Carl says, "I think I just logged onto the internet." I don't know why that caught me as so funny, but it was this long setup over half the show to get to the punch-line, and for me it worked pretty hilariliously. Anyway, the show had so many great moments, and that was just one of them.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Lots of people from India were like, why are you taking him out of the show? They actually found the character funny, and felt like they've developed as a culture to the point that they can take humor in themselves. I've read quite a few articles on this.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Regarding Apu:

Not all Indians think Apu is a racist stereotype

Why is a goofy Indian convenience store owner in a satirical TV series suddenly raising the hackles of some Indian-Americans, nearly three decades after he was introduced as a character?
In The Simpsons, Bengal-born Apu Nahasapeemapetilon is an indefatigable immigrant who talks in a mocking sing-song way. He topped his class of "seven million students" in a college in India before moving to the dystopian fictional town of Springfield, peopled by misfits and oddballs and powered by a polluting nuclear plant owned by a heartless cynic.
A devout Hindu, Apu is a doting father to eight children and eccentric husband to a homemaker wife, with whom he had an arranged marriage. Best known to his fans around the world for his catchphrase, "Thank you, come again", Apu loves cricket, drives a 1979 Pontiac Firebird, enjoys one rock song and is a miser.

The problem with Apu erupted last November when Indian-American comic Hari Kondabulu argued in an angry 49-minute documentary that the store owner is based on racial stereotypes.
Kondabulu hates Apu's accent, which he describes as a "white guy doing an impression of a white guy making fun of my father".
The comedian told the BBC in an earlier interview that the character was problematic because he is defined by his job and how many children he has in his arranged marriage.
In his film, a bunch of Indian-American comedians and actors, including Aziz Ansari and Kal Penn, talk about how the caricature led to them being mocked by classmates in school. Bollywood actress and star of the ABC show Quantico, Priyanka Chopra, who spent her teenage years in the US, has separately chimed in on the controversy, telling a TV show: "Apu was the bane of my life growing up in the US."

. . . .

Mr Varadarajan told me Kondabulu's documentary "suffused with self-righteous indignation about the racism-by-caricature in Apu" is to blame for the recent kerfuffle.
Also, he says, "this has happened at a moment of particular cultural sensitivity in liberal America, with the white intelligentsia being even more capitulative than before to accusations of racism".
"I guess the fact that Indians haven't traditionally been at the forefront of America's race-complaint industry has given this latest outrage over Apu added significance. But in my view, just because traditional non-whiners are whining doesn't mean that the whining is justified!"

"As I see it, there are two primary products that second generation Indian American comedians sell - the ridiculousness of their parents' 'culture' (arranged marriage and 'my son, the doctor' are the commonest tropes); and the racism of white Americans," Professor Chakravorty, who teaches at Temple University in Pennsylvania, told me in an email interview.
"It is not hard to see why these two lowest hanging fruits are plucked all the time. This is very standard fare. Apu is also very standard fare. What Kondabulu has done is nothing new. He picked almost the most identifiable Indian project possible in the US. And he plugged into the market for identity-based outrage."
Prof Chakravorty adds that he loves The Simpsons.
"As far as I am concerned: Apu is one of three likable characters in The Simpsons - Lisa and Marge are the others. Homer, a caricature of the ignorant, blue collar white male, is actually the most offensive."
Back in Apu's native land, fans of The Simpsons appear to have no problems with the character.
"I like Apu, in fact I love him. He has a PhD in computer science, but enjoys running his store, he is a valued citizen of Springfield, a ladies man and adores cricket and is funny," Sidharth Bhatia, Mumbai-based founder-editor of The Wire, told me.

"It reflects true American diversity. The controversy about the stereotyping is classist snobbery - Indians in America don't want to be reminded of a certain kind of immigrant from their country - the shop keepers, the taxi drivers, the burger flippers," says Mr Bhatia.
"They would rather project only Silicon Valley successes, the Wall Street players and the Ivy League products, with the proper accents, people they meet for dinner - by itself a stereotype. The millions of Apus in America, the salt-of-the-earth types, with their less 'posh' accents, are an inconvenience to that self-image of this small group of Indian-Americans."
Last month, Hank Azaria, the Emmy-award winning voice of Apu, said he is "willing to step aside" from his role voicing the character. "The idea that anyone young or old, past or present, being bullied based on Apu really makes me sad," said Azaria. "It certainly was not my intention."
So does Apu's future look uncertain? Will the show write him out of the script? Will he be given a new voice? Will the show update the stereotype?
The Simpsons creator Matt Groening says he's "proud of what we do on the show" and this is "time in our culture where people love to pretend they are offended". A recent episode made a nod to the accusations, but some viewers found it insufficient.
There are no indications that Apu will leave Springfield yet. But the convenience store owner's job could very well be on the line."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad