Favourite Sens pugilist not named Chris Neil?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I remember when he attacked Felix potvin which started a full line brawl with LA.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I loved Roy. He was such a loose cannon. Attacking Potvin at 3:00 lol

Edit: Jbeck I swear I didn't see your post until now haha

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember when he attacked Felix potvin which started a full line brawl with LA.

....speaking of goalies, how could we forget about Ray Emery? That game against Buffalo where he got into two fights was hilarious.

If only he would've matured just a little bit earlier.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
....speaking of goalies, how could we forget about Ray Emery? That game against Buffalo where he got into two fights was hilarious.

If only he would've matured just a little bit earlier.

That, and if only Ottawa wasn't a town full of squares and could take Emery's shenanigans a little bit better.

Showing up late to practice aside, he was driven out of town by disapproving fans.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good ol Andre Roy! I remember seeing him, Redden, Phillips and some of the other guys in centrum all the time. Jack Astors usually, this was before they even opened O'Conners.

I was disappointed again in Phillips, who should have been more involved and prevented the multiple attack against Roy. Phillips has always disappointed me when it comes to defending his team mates!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Dennis Vial for me, he and Turgeon rented a house on my street and would play street hockey with us on occasion. Gave me a stick at the end of the year....good guy that Dennis!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I was disappointed again in Phillips, who should have been more involved and prevented the multiple attack against Roy. Phillips has always disappointed me when it comes to defending his team mates!

I thought Phillips had some kind of eye issue, which is why he wore the visor. Fighting was a bigger risk to him than others.

Maybe im wrong

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I remember hearing something about Phillips really messing it up in the WHL. I forget if it was from a fight or what. Hopefully someone else can confirm what the issue was/is.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I remember hearing something about Phillips really messing it up in the WHL. I forget if it was from a fight or what. Hopefully someone else can confirm what the issue was/is.

Puck to the face in '98.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/06...ncident-involving-new-york-rangers-marc-staal

Accidentally hit in the right eye by a puck off the stick of then-Edmonton Oilers defenceman Dan McGillis on Feb. 26, 1998, Phillips, 34, hasn't played a game without a visor since. That night proved to be the only wakeup call he needed.

A rookie at the time, Phillips took nine stitches behind his eye that night in Edmonton and was lucky the damage wasn't worse.

"Once was enough and that was a pretty good one," said Phillips, who had worn a visor in junior and took it off "because I could. I had made it to the NHL. In hindsight, I didn't need to do that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Didn't Phillips also have a parent who was also legally blind, and that condition was hereditary? Basically he was also more susceptible to having eye problems and had to keep a closer watch on how his eyes were, iirc?

Lockz

Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Emery. Not the most fights with the Sens, but involved in one of the good ones and he appreciated the chance.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Close between Carkner and Mcgrattan, but this seals the deal for Carkner.

IMO Chara was the biggest toughest fighter in the NHL & maybe ever but McGratton was the best enforcer this team has ever had. Not only did he have the size but he fought everybody in the AHL & won more than he lost & he fought all the big tough guys in the NHL & won more than he lost. The best fight ever was when McGratton broke Domi's nose & ended the Toronto dynasty of constantly besting Ottawa teams in fights. Twist, Brashear, Laroque you just don't have those big tough fighters anymore. :shakehead Carkner was big but he had a real problem with Orr which let Sens fans down while Kassian was a better fighter against Orr anyway.

Remember when Andre Roy looked over to Jacques Martin to see if he would let him fight? That told me everything I wanted to know & hated about Jacques Martin. He hurt our team a lot by not dressing Roy against Toronto in those days.

Dennis Vial for me, he and Turgeon rented a house on my street and would play street hockey with us on occasion. Gave me a stick at the end of the year....good guy that Dennis!

He was pretty tough too. Bonis didn't win a lot of games back then but he had a tough team here in Ottawa in the early days.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
IMO Chara was the biggest toughest fighter in the NHL & maybe ever but McGratton was the best enforcer this team has ever had. Not only did he have the size but he fought everybody in the AHL & won more than he lost & he fought all the big tough guys in the NHL & won more than he lost. The best fight ever was when McGratton broke Domi's nose & ended the Toronto dynasty of constantly besting Ottawa teams in fights. Twist, Brashear, Laroque you just don't have those big tough fighters anymore. :shakehead Carkner was big but he had a real problem with Orr which let Sens fans down while Kassian was a better fighter against Orr anyway.

Remember when Andre Roy looked over to Jacques Martin to see if he would let him fight? That told me everything I wanted to know & hated about Jacques Martin. He hurt our team a lot by not dressing Roy against Toronto in those days.

He was pretty tough too. Bonis didn't win a lot of games back then but he had a tough team here in Ottawa in the early days.

I always thought the record between Orr and Carkner was exagerated.

Orr CLEARLY won fight 1.
Carkner CLEARLY won fight 2. (Aactual damage done. Orr'a face apparently "looked like stew" after, and he returned with a visor...laughable for a heavyweight)
Orr CLEARLY won fight 3.
Fight 4 was a draw.
Fight 5 was a draw.
Fight 6 wasnt a fight.

I score it as 2-1-3 for Orr, 1-2-3 for Carkner. Its just that the two Orr wins were about as decisive as can be. In one Carkners arms shoot out straight and he looks like he is gonezo. In another his legs buckle and he crumples.

Its interesting in looking these up...Carkners fight numbers look like this:

09-10: 24 in 81gp (0.3 fights per game)
10-11: 12 in 50gp (0.24 fpg)
11-12: 3 in 29gp (0.10 fpg)
12-13: 4 in 22gp (0.18 fpg)
13-14: 9 in 53gp (0.17 fpg)

If anything, as his role diminished you would think he would be trying to fight more. Wonder if the Sens asked him to fight less, or if he was unable to fight as much and it is part of the reason they let him go.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Denis Vial for me.

Funny quotes:

Reporter: "What do you think of Ray, Barnaby and Boughner <-- buffalo enforcers at the time

Vial: "Sounds like a lawyer firm"

Reporter: "Your hands are pretty banged up over the years"

Vial: "Hands of a goal scorer"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad