Olympics: Favourite Moment in the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal Game

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I still can't believe how clutch Joe Sakic was..
seriously, 4 points in an intense best of the best gold metal game is ridiculous. I forgot how fast Sakic used to be until I re-watched that breakaway goal.

Professor Dangles

Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Lemieux's fake is the greatest play in hockey history.

Other great moments from the gold medal game:
--Theo Fleury dangling through the entire US team and then missing an open net.
--Mario missing an open net and then holding his arms up like he couldn't believe what just happened.
--Brodeur's two kick saves on Brett Hull during the Americans' third period PP.
--Every shot of Gretzky in the stands.

Is there YT of this?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I'd forgotten some of the great individual plays on this game. Watching them now and not having any particular attachment to the plays, Lemieux's is by far the best.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
Mine was actually the 4-2 goal. Yzerman passed from inside the blue line to Iginla for the one-timer. Richter gets a piece of it with his glove but not enough. Gave me chills just writing this actually.

This was probably the moment of the game for me too. The goal that gave them the 2 goal lead, and more importantly the way it was scored. Right through Richter, it floated in, that was the moment it seemed we had the game, up until then it seemed like they could come back.

Easily the defining momement for me as well.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My favourite moment was the 4-2 goal, because up until then I thought the Americans were going to come back. The Brodeur toe-save was spectacular too.

Also, Bob Cole was fantastic during that game. I loved Sakic's clincher at the end of the game, where Cole says... "Je---Ho Sakic, Scores.... Je---HO Sakic." Definitely memorable.

Same for me. Watching Richter get a piece of Iginla's shot and then it flipping through the air and across the line, followed by Gretzky and company going nuts was my favorite moment

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
Lemieux's fake.

I just watched Gold Rush - documentary about 2002 Canada ice-hockey Olympic team. Good movie, nice behind the action scenes, some games clutch moments were shown in this film. Interviews were great too. 7/10 my rating.

Reactions: samuu

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Almost clicked Sakic goal, i probably cheered more for that, but the Lemieux fake was probably the biggest play of the game.

But no jokes everyone should be worried about the Americains this year, they could be good on a N/A ice surface

Mario's play was so unique. Never seen anything like it.

The Joe Sakic goal was enhanced by Bob Cole's call.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good ole Nikolai Khabibulin shutting us out and playing tremendous! I am pretty sure I broke my Ikea coffee table.diromg this one.lol.

Then my oilers signed peak Khabibulin... Oh wait, no, we signed him well past this and he sunk my Oilers too. Rare that a player can ruin both my teams in one decade.lol.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
2002 was a roller coaster of emotions. 2010 was another slow start, but because of 2002, it didn't feel as deflating.

The first game against Sweden, I was still in college and we were at the Harvard Model UN in Boston.

Word got around along the Canadian university attendees that a bar nearby was willing to play the game, so a whole bunch of us snuck out that afternoon.

Concordia, McGill, Queen’s, U of T, RMC, what have you.

We arrive and 40 to 50 of us basically took over the bar and start knocking them back.

Canada scores early and the bragging kicks into high gear. “We don’t want to make it look too easy!”

Two periods later and the bartender is pouring us pity shots for free because he felt bad for the stonefaced Canuck students in his bar.

A humbling start to be sure!

I also remember this grizzled local sitting next to me at the bar as if he’d been there all day.

He goes “hey, you Canadian?”, in a low, harsh whisper.

“Yes, yes I am.”

“Well, I gotta tell yous something.”

He leans in.

“I’m really into this curling. I can’t stop watching it.”

“Yeah, well, it’s big up North.”

“I don’t know what it is, but I can’t stop watching it. It’s mesmerizing or something.”

“That it is, chief.”

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
After one of the goals (can't remember which one offhand) Bob Cole got so excited he yelled "GORE" which cracked me up. I was close enough to Canada to get the CBC feed so after hearing that call I still laughed even though I was rooting for USA. I was kinda sad that Rhyno didn't show up and gore somebody at center ice out of nowhere.

I was still happy for Team Canada. I remember hockey enthusiast classmates being extremely buttmad over it which I didn't really understand. It was Canada's first gold medal in a long time, they deserved it!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
2002 was a roller coaster of emotions. 2010 was another slow start, but because of 2002, it didn't feel as deflating.

The first game against Sweden, I was still in college and we were at the Harvard Model UN in Boston.

Word got around along the Canadian university attendees that a bar nearby was willing to play the game, so a whole bunch of us snuck out that afternoon.

Concordia, McGill, Queen’s, U of T, RMC, what have you.

We arrive and 40 to 50 of us basically took over the bar and start knocking them back.

Canada scores early and the bragging kicks into high gear. “We don’t want to make it look too easy!”

Two periods later and the bartender is pouring us pity shots for free because he felt bad for the stonefaced Canuck students in his bar.

A humbling start to be sure!

I also remember this grizzled local sitting next to me at the bar as if he’d been there all day.

He goes “hey, you Canadian?”, in a low, harsh whisper.

“Yes, yes I am.”

“Well, I gotta tell yous something.”

He leans in.

“I’m really into this curling. I can’t stop watching it.”

“Yeah, well, it’s big up North.”

“I don’t know what it is, but I can’t stop watching it. It’s mesmerizing or something.”

“That it is, chief.”
Now we need to hear the story of back at the bar when we win gold.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Now we need to hear the story of back at the bar when we win gold.

I was at a different bar, the Duke of Somerset, which is no longer open.

After the game, people marched down to Parliament Hill to sing the anthem. It was pretty exciting.

The funny story about the Duke was the 2003 Senators playoff run, where the two big TVs in the basement were on different feeds because one was HD and one wasn’t.

As a result, there was like a five second delay for one of the broadcasts, which really sucked if you were watching the delayed TV.

Havlat is in on a breakaway! Suddenly the other end of the bar sighs and groans in disappointment. Kind of ruined the excitement. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad