Olympics: Favourite Moment in the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal Game

Rooooooooooxxxanne*

The Lemieux fake

I remember Bob Cole also "Oh they are going to give Lemieux an assist on the goal, even though he didn't touch the puck!!! oh baby!!!"

LOL, he forgot Lemieux was the one who gave it to Pronger.

Reactions: HabsQC and jj cale

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
Almost clicked Sakic goal, i probably cheered more for that, but the Lemieux fake was probably the biggest play of the game.

But no jokes everyone should be worried about the Americains this year, they could be good on a N/A ice surface

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I didnt see it. I was too overwhelmed with the failure of the swedish team against Belarus, still is ;)

I taped it so that I could see it some day.. still havnt hehe

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Cole calling Sakic's goal is probably it for me.

Sounded like "Jee-oe! Sakic!"

Everyone knew the game was over by then, but Cole emphasizing it on the goal call just sealed the deal.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The Lemieux deke for sure. I was pretty young when this game was played, but I knew right then that I was watching a legend at work. How many other players in the history of the sport would have had the pure genius and hockey sense to create a play like that right off the cuff?

Reactions: jj cale

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Cole calling Sakic's goal is probably it for me.

Sounded like "Jee-oe! Sakic!"

Everyone knew the game was over by then, but Cole emphasizing it on the goal call just sealed the deal.

me too

also the over-the-top Gretzky celebrations on the 4-2 and 5-2 goals

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
I think im gonna go to walmart and get that "gold rush 2002" dvd that was selling for like 2.99 for the last 8 years.... I have a feeling the price will be jacked up about now tho

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
My favourite moment was the 4-2 goal, because up until then I thought the Americans were going to come back. The Brodeur toe-save was spectacular too.

Also, Bob Cole was fantastic during that game. I loved Sakic's clincher at the end of the game, where Cole says... "Je---Ho Sakic, Scores.... Je---HO Sakic." Definitely memorable.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
The Lemieux play was the play of the tournament, just shows you how intelligent the guy was, and how much he knew what to do to win.

I must admit that the Amonte goal was pretty huge in the first period.

Vic Rattlehead*

Sakic's goal. My entire family went crazy when he scored.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I didnt see it. I was too overwhelmed with the failure of the swedish team against Belarus, still is ;)

I taped it so that I could see it some day.. still havnt hehe

Same. I was too overwhelmed with Samsonov not being able to lift the puck into an open net and tie the USA 3-3 in the semifinal.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Lemieux freezing Richter with the fake out, puck through his legs, Kariya open net. Incredible vision, that guy's brain just worked three times faster than anybody else.

But what about that open net Mario had a 3-2? Eeek! It was like there was an invisible force field around the net there, I still don't know what happened. Don't think Mario does either.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Well, it wasn't a pass. It was a....Actually I don't know what to call it exactly.

Anyway. It can be hard to find because the guy who titled the video is clearly a Pejorative Slur.

Might not look like much to some, but it fooled Richter big time. I remember a swell of Caps fans trolled the pittsburghpenguins.com message boards after this trying to claim it was a fluke, and Mario just fanned on the puck.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I remember a swell of Caps fans trolled the pittsburghpenguins.com message boards after this trying to claim it was a fluke, and Mario just fanned on the puck.
Yeah, it was way too smooth to be fake.

Thanks for the vid.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I said the Lemieux fake. I just knew after that everything would be okay when that goal was scored even though the score was tied. The momentum changed right away

Reactions: HabsQC and jj cale

In Gillis We Trust

Jun 24, 2008
Mine was actually the 4-2 goal. Yzerman passed from inside the blue line to Iginla for the one-timer. Richter gets a piece of it with his glove but not enough. Gave me chills just writing this actually.

Reactions: jj cale

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Lemieux's fake is the greatest play in hockey history.

Other great moments from the gold medal game:
--Theo Fleury dangling through the entire US team and then missing an open net.
--Mario missing an open net and then holding his arms up like he couldn't believe what just happened.
--Brodeur's two kick saves on Brett Hull during the Americans' third period PP.
--Every shot of Gretzky in the stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad