Favourite Defunct NHL Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Nordiques. I wear my Nordiques toque all the time at work, and get a lot of comments on it. I long for a Sakic blue Nords jersey.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, the Nordiques for sure. Though I've been looking more for a Jets jersey than anything.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I started as a Rockies fan, they moved. Transferred over to the Whale (Kevin D playing for the solidified that. Got to give love to Quebec.

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
Of the NHL Teams I Saw that were moved, The Winnipeg Jets

The 1924-25 Hamilton Tigers. ( found most of this in Charles L. Coleman's "The Trail of the Stanley Cup" - Volume II. A rather interesting case when the NHL was run quite different from the way it is now (or was it?)

Some of the Tigers had signed two year contracts in 1923-24, then in 1924-25 the NHL added six more games to the schedule. Hamilton finished first (19-10-1) and earned a bye into the NHL final. They were to play the winner of the Canadiens vs Toronto playoff, but the Hamilton players wanted $ 200 each to play the winner of that series.

NHL President Frank Calder got really ticked off, and said that Ottawa, which had finished fourth, would play the winner of the Toronto/Canadiens series. This just made the press, Toronto, and Montreal angry, so Calder said the winner of the Toronto/Canadiens series would defend the Stanley Cup against Victoria, since the teams from the Western Canadian Hockey League were still challenging NHL teams for the Stanley Cup. On March 30, 1925, Victoria defeated the Canadiens 6-1 and won the Stanley Cup. This would be the last time a team outside the NHL would win the Stanley Cup.

The Hamilton players remained firm in their strike, and the NHL held a meeting April 17, 1925. The Hamilton players were suspended and fined $ 200 each.

The Hamilton Tigers were replaced in the NHL by New York....the NHL began the 1925-26 season with no limit on individual salaries, but no team was to have an aggregate players' payroll in excess of $ 35,000...kind of blurry what happened with the suspensions and fines handed to the Hamilton players, ..it was left in the hands of NHL President Calder...most of the Hamilton players (Billy Burch, Redvers Green, etc.) were original memebers of the New York team in 1925-26.

Last edited:

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
ehc73 said:
I echo this statement. Gotta love that Nords jersey.

Agreed. I've always wanted either the Nordique's Sakic jersey, or the North Stars Modano jersey. Just something about those jerseys that represent hockey so much better than some of the jerseys of today. Before I leave this Earth, I will own one of those two jerseys.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
For right now - I'm taking the Bay Area homer route:

California Golden Seals (1971-72 season -> link: www.sealshockey.com )

"On the unusual side of things, Charlie Finley decided that if the Oakland A's looked good in white shoes, then the Seals would look good in white skates. The white skates didn't go over too well with the players or the trainers whice they had to be painted white. Of course, they had to be constantly repainted since puck marks and scuffing would inevitably occur. Some players joked that the skates weighed 20 pounds by the end of the season..."

:lol:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Golden Seals...the kangaroo skates were cool.

I liked the Whalers unies but I used to hate that music they played after a goal was scored in Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad