Favourite Commentary team?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anyone but Hrudey for me :laugh:

Hughson is pretty good for ploff games. Ive always been a Chris Cuthbert guy though. Too bad he doesn't do hockey anymore.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Ball and anyone really. I'd love for Bob Cole to do a game for the Flames but I can't see it happening.

Timeless Enigma

Jun 9, 2007
Richmond, BC
Of the options listed I'd say

Randorf+DeBrusk/Millen/Galley or
Ball+DeBrusk/Millen/Galley

I don't hate Millen like most people seem to, actually I find him funny.

And it's not that I don't like Hrudey, I do like him and his personality but I feel like he doesn't add much depth to colour. It's weird because as a studio analyst I think he was great when he had Behind the Mask.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Ball and either Hrudy or DeBrusk. I used to really like Hrudy when he was more neutral, but he's gotten really homery this season. Maybe it's better that DeBrusk is an ex-Oiler.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
5 different series involving Canadian teams, and there are only 4 national commentators, so I suspect we'll likely have Rick Ball doing our games with Garrett or Millen doing colour.
I see Hughson and Simpson doing the Toronto series, Randorf and DeBrusk doing the Oilers series, Bob Cole for Montreal and Romanuk for Ottawa.
This is all just a guess by me though, but that's how I see it shaking down.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What's Mike Johnston doing these days? Is one of my favourite colour guys. Overall I like the TSN teams from past better than anything Sportsnet has given us so far. I don't mind Ball, but kind of wish Wills would do the television broadcasts instead of radio.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Split between Ball + Hrudey and Ball + Debrusk. Honestly, the colour guy barely matters because Ball is so damn good. I still kind of miss the unique character of the Loubardias PBP, but I think Ball is one of the best PBP guys the NHL has, period.

Louie is a really good colour guy. Hrudey is not.

Hrudey does tend to ramble a bit, and sometimes he just gets lost, but I think he throws out some entertaining insights every now and then. He's also adorable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree SoV, Hrudey might not be the greatest, but at the very least he is likeable

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
What's Mike Johnston doing these days? Is one of my favourite colour guys. Overall I like the TSN teams from past better than anything Sportsnet has given us so far. I don't mind Ball, but kind of wish Wills would do the television broadcasts instead of radio.

He's on the NHL network I believe, and according to his twitter he's going to be calling the Sharks/Oiler series for NBC.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

He's on the NHL network I believe, and according to his twitter he's going to be calling the Sharks/Oiler series for NBC.

I always hoped that Mike Johnson would return to TSN after Rogers fired him. I wonder if he burned bridges when he jumped ship. I quite liked him and thought he was one of the better people at Rogers.

I liked Mike Johnson as well ("The Scorpion". And Lubo was awesome IMO.

I never realized how much I like Loubo until after he was replaced with Kerr.

I agree SoV, Hrudey might not be the greatest, but at the very least he is likeable

Yeah I agree. Hrudey seems like the kinda guy you'd love to hang out with just to shoot the **** with over a drink.

At least he and Ball have good chemistry together.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hrudey's likeability makes up for his mistakes and also makes his dorkiness endearing. Rob Kerr on the other hand always seemed like he was a bit arrogant so his dorkiness and mistakes wore on me, same with Millions.

Loubo fits in the same class as Hrudey, not that he made many mistakes but he seems like a huge dork and it's great.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah Kerr's arrogance bothered me. I hadn't paid much attention to him since he was taken off the televised broadcasts since I don't listen to the radio but I did happen to listen to him on it once and he seemed to have gotten worse, maybe almost angry.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know if I'd describe Kerr as arrogant, maybe a bit of a know it all, but moreso being just overly dramatic. But he does come off that way.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ball and Hrudey are the best team the Flames have had in a while. Kelly is an affable idiot, the kind of person you find endearing because they mean well. You can count on him for at least 4 or 5 poorly delivered and incoherent contributions per game so that always gives me something to look forward to. His particular brand of homerism is pretty harmless because I can't imagine many take him seriously anyway and since most of the other Canadian teams get a broadcaster obviously rooting for them the Flames should too.

What the hell did we do to deserve John "no chance for the goalie" Garrett? I blame him for Canucks fans being the way they are, and possibly inciting the riot in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad