OT: Favourite Band

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

7hrs in a row of listening to one Techno artist is pretty much certifiable that the people are popping. Like how could you even be into that that long and still dancing. heh.

I'm not even opposed at all to this kind of music, I'll listen to it. But a 7hr set? my lord. What a sweat factory. It wouldn't be smelling like paradise. ;)

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

CLOWNS from Melbourne, AU. They are by far my favourite band. Saw them live a couple of times from small bars to big concerts. If you like Punkrock with some Rock and Metal influences, Clowns got you. New album is coming this October, can't effing wait.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Im going to Toronto next week for ball game and other vacation. I looked up the music scene that week. 3 concerts I noticed

1 ZZ Top/ Lynyrd Skinner/Uncle Cracker
2 Alabama
3 Blue Rodeo

Definitely going with Door #1

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Im going to Toronto next week for ball game and other vacation. I looked up the music scene that week. 3 concerts I noticed

2 Alabama
3 Blue Rodeo

I got to see ZZ Top years ago at the CN Center in Prince George front row in front of maybe 1200 people. It was stellar, especially for a bunch of guys who were too old to really move around at all.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

2 Alabama
3 Blue Rodeo

Yeah. but of course Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't that anymore. They've gone down to around no original members. Tragic history that band. I think Rossington just passed this year. I think he was the only one left. They're basically a cover band now but put on a good show.

Blue Rodeo bores the crap out of me. if I have trouble sleeping its a good listen..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I got to see ZZ Top years ago at the CN Center in Prince George front row in front of maybe 1200 people. It was stellar, especially for a bunch of guys who were too old to really move around at all.
One of those guys from ZZ Top is really not doing much moving around at all these days.;)

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
I was at that show. PG is usually garbage for shows but we've been lucky enough to get a few big ones. ZZ Top, Motorhead, Snoop Dog, Marilyn Manson, Elton John, Kiss. Unfortunately most people don't come here until they're super old and washed up. I think the people who put on shows in this town are at least in their 80s. Lol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I was at that show. PG is usually garbage for shows but we've been lucky enough to get a few big ones. ZZ Top, Motorhead, Snoop Dog, Marilyn Manson, Elton John, Kiss. Unfortunately most people don't come here until they're super old and washed up. I think the people who put on shows in this town are at least in their 80s. Lol
Saw Fogerty and Thorogood there too and they were both awesome. Actually come to think of it I’ve seen a bunch of awesome shows up there. Steve Miller, The Hip, and I’m pretty sure Alice in Chains too. CN is a good venue.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah. but of course Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't that anymore. They've gone down to around no original members. Tragic history that band. I think Rossington just passed this year. I think he was the only one left. They're basically a cover band now but put on a good show.

Blue Rodeo bores the crap out of me. if I have trouble sleeping its a good listen..
Seen Blue Rodeo at a Beer Garden in my hometown years ago. They sucked. I left it sucked so bad

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seen Blue Rodeo at a Beer Garden in my hometown years ago. They sucked. I left it sucked so bad
Boring Rodeo. Not sure how they picked their name. Sad Rodeo? Maybe its apt. That said I've had no end of people tell me I should like Blue Rodeo, "How could you not like them" just not my thing.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Boring Rodeo. Not sure how they picked their name. Sad Rodeo? Maybe its apt. That said I've had no end of people tell me I should like Blue Rodeo, "How could you not like them" just not my thing.
I’ve seen BR about 8-9 times. Wife likes Jim Cuddy (he’s the other man in our marriage she says) and I’m the Greg Keelor guy. Both are different tastes for sure. I get your perspective. That said I do enjoy them on my playlist, especially Keelor tracks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve seen BR about 8-9 times. Wife likes Jim Cuddy (he’s the other man in our marriage she says) and I’m the Greg Keelor guy. Both are different tastes for sure. I get your perspective. That said I do enjoy them on my playlist, especially Keelor tracks.
Some musical forms I just don't get. never caught the bug. On the other hand I LOVE the Cowboy Junkies. I think I have to like the singing for it to work. People have tried getting me into Blue Rodeo but thats what art is like, if it doesn't hit you it just doesn't.

Reactions: brentashton

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Some musical forms I just don't get. never caught the bug. On the other hand I LOVE the Cowboy Junkies. I think I have to like the singing for it to work. People have tried getting me into Blue Rodeo but thats what art is like, if it doesn't hit you it just doesn't.
I feel the same way about Neil Diamond.

Like what the f*** do people see there? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel the same way about Neil Diamond.

Like what the f*** do people see there? Lol
My wife could say more on that. I can listen to some, and in my marriage I've had to....but not a choice I ever make. You have to like the voice. The songwriting of his seems so 100yrs ago.

We bombard each other with our tastes in music. Gets fun when we compete turning up the volume.....what? can't hear you! lol

In fairness to me I just listen to my music some of the time. She wants background pop (her tastes) all the time.

That said musical likes/dislikes are interesting. Wasn't until things like Napster and Spotify where the musical groupings of what you should like became so much clearer. Although the "these are similar artists you might like" are often so wrong.

People could write dissertations on how appreciation to certain artists occurs. I sometimes wonder how much of it is first or early impression based. Either moves you or it doesn't, and as in any art theres those that love the same artist others dislike. Makes the world more interesting.

For instance my first listens and exposure to Iron Maiden was at a terrible job. Just hated the job and that stuff was always on. So the association, negative, never went away.

Similarly if ones first listens to the Beatles were in an elevator what would that do?

Last edited:

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I personally really like a handful of Blue Rodeo tunes: Try, Diamond Mine, Trust Yourself, Rain Down on Me, Lost Together & some others.

Attended a great live show at the Jube a decade ago, but one of those bands u only need to see once.
Keelor & Cuddy have a great chemistry between them despite their contrasting styles.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I personally really like a handful of Blue Rodeo tunes: Try, Diamond Mine, Trust Yourself, Rain Down on Me, Lost Together & some others.

Attended a great live show at the Jube a decade ago, but one of those bands u only need to see once.
Keelor & Cuddy have a great chemistry between them despite their contrasting styles.
To me the stuff just got so much airplay you didn't even have to buy it if you wanted to. But mostly its the country vibe and singing that sets me off. Again its odd because several Canadian artists I do like. The Hip, Sarah McLachlan, Cowboy junkies appear to like Blue Rodeo and in some tracks can be similar.

So that again I wonder how much music appreciation is based on association and ones experience first hearing it. For me Blue Rodeo was on radio when I was working two to three jobs, always tired, and I wanted something with jam like Nirvana. I needed the energy. But that doesn't explain how I loved McLachlan from first listenings. The singer can transcend. Blue Rodeo to me always sounded like a talented Bar band. Accomplished musicians but boring material.

Not trying to counter or anything. I legitimately just have a lifelong wonderment about specific likes and dislikes to art. Its so fascinating what people you know with good tastes, what they like. I include you in that.

Reactions: Morpheus

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My wife could say more on that. I can listen to some, and in my marriage I've had to....but not a choice I ever make. You have to like the voice. The songwriting of his seems so 100yrs ago.

We bombard each other with our tastes in music. Gets fun when we compete turning up the volume.....what? can't hear you! lol

In fairness to me I just listen to my music some of the time. She wants background pop (her tastes) all the time.

That said musical likes/dislikes are interesting. Wasn't until things like Napster and Spotify where the musical groupings of what you should like became so much clearer. Although the "these are similar artists you might like" are often so wrong.

People could write dissertations on how appreciation to certain artists occurs. I sometimes wonder how much of it is first or early impression based. Either moves you or it doesn't, and as in any art theres those that love the same artist others dislike. Makes the world more interesting.

For instance my first listens and exposure to Iron Maiden was at a terrible job. Just hated the job and that stuff was always on. So the association, negative, never went away.

Similarly if ones first listens to the Beatles were in an elevator what would that do?

I first heard the Beatles I think in a torture chamber because everytime I hear them I think I’m being tortured.

If I heard Maiden at a terrible job it would make the job my favourite. Unless it was being a bouncer at a Beatles concert.

Lol joking of course.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I first heard the Beatles I think in a torture chamber because everytime I hear them I think I’m being tortured.

If I heard Maiden at a terrible job it would make the job my favourite. Unless it was being a bouncer at a Beatles concert.

Lol joking of course.
I feel this way about Madonna. But Madonna sucks. you should get your ears checked for hating the Beatles. hehe.

My dad hated the Early Beatles stuff. he used to mock it up and imitate the mop tops. But he had to admit the albums were showing development and different forms and they were increasingly interesting although he was never a fan.

I'm not huge on the early Beatles albums either. I think it took awhile for them to find a more unique sound. Before that they were just skiffle, just sounded like a lot of the other English Wave bands at the time. Musically I think the Early Animals, Stones, Kinks and The Who were more interesting in mid sixties. But the Beatles caused the females to go nuts and lose it. Some things never really change. Female audiences shape so much of what gets big in pop.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Drunk and depressed music. 5 days in May ain’t bad but that’s a stretch

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drunk and depressed music. 5 days in May ain’t bad but that’s a stretch
Yeah. Agreed. They're slow depressed kinds of tunes but anytime I'm listening I'm like whats the point, and genre has been done much better before. Perhaps theres a reason Blue Rodeo never made it anywhere off Canadian shores. Always kind of got that feeling listening to Blue Rodeo that its safe unthreatening bar music.

Funny story though. One of the friends was fans of Blue Rodeo that would want me to listen to them half the times I came over and was so fervent about them but hated other Canadian acts like say 54-40, Cowboy Junkies, Sarah McLachlan. I mean hated to the degree of shouting to shut it off..the irony was staggering. I'd at least let him play what he wanted to play in his home and if asked would say I'm not partial to it. The same person experienced apoplexy if I put on the "wrong music" while in my own home.

People take some of this stuff way seriously. ;)

That said similar Musicians tend to like Blue Rodeo. They must be something. Not discounting that. Just not my flavor.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Random but Radiohead has no mentions so I'll mention. In the 90's and up to Amnesiac I felt they were very interesting and expanding some horizons as good original artists tend to do. Ironically I didn't fall for their later works when they actually hit more markets. I think their better work is contained in their first 5 albums.

From experience discussing music it seems theres zero intersection of Radiohead and Blue Rodeo fans. ;)

Once you get the Radiohead bug though is the hooks are definitely there. I got mine in 93 or 94. The band is a challenge for some listeners but so much nuance in it and the type of music that requires multiple listens to hit. Kid A is my personal fave. But all 5 first albums all worthy.

Even for those that disliked Radiohead and Pablo Honey and the Bends if I Put this on they get the band in their live incarnation. Its a version of Radiohead that people kind of forgot existed, much more edge, rock etc. Sonic bliss.

i think it was partly this performance that cemented the brilliance of the band to me, how tight they were, how they could play anything and be esoteric at same time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad