OT: Favourite Band

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah. Agreed. They're slow depressed kinds of tunes but anytime I'm listening I'm like whats the point, and genre has been done much better before. Perhaps theres a reason Blue Rodeo never made it anywhere off Canadian shores. Always kind of got that feeling listening to Blue Rodeo that its safe unthreatening bar music.

Funny story though. One of the friends was fans of Blue Rodeo that would want me to listen to them half the times I came over and was so fervent about them but hated other Canadian acts like say 54-40, Cowboy Junkies, Sarah McLachlan. I mean hated to the degree of shouting to shut it off..the irony was staggering. I'd at least let him play what he wanted to play in his home and if asked would say I'm not partial to it. The same person experienced apoplexy if I put on the "wrong music" while in my own home.

People take some of this stuff way seriously. ;)

That said similar Musicians tend to like Blue Rodeo. They must be something. Not discounting that. Just not my flavor.
I’m a 54-40 fan. Never got to see them in Halifax in 90’s at Misty Moon. Also liked Northern Pikes

Exile of Atlantis

Mar 30, 2022
come to think of it....Def Leppard might be my favourite band
no matter what, High and Dry is always my go to...

Stagefright from Pyromania gets a lot of play in my household... everyone probably knows it a bit too well by now but I never get tired of it.

That vintage of hard rock / metal always appealed to me. Probably because I was a kid at the time with british roots. Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard and lesser-known acts like Tygers of Pan Tang and Diamond Head... all get plenty of time in the rotation even to this day.

Reactions: booyakasha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m a 54-40 fan. Never got to see them in Halifax in 90’s at Misty Moon. Also liked Northern Pikes
Seen 54-40 so many times. They played a two week residency at WEM Fantasyland if you can believe it. I lived in West End at the time so checked out their show a few times. Later saw them at St Albert, then at K Days exposition. once in the theater at Sherwood Park as well. They have such a strong set. they're that band that people forgot, that have so many iconic tunes to fill up a setlist. They are kind of an atypical Canadian band as well in that they have different roots. Rock, other things in the cupboard.

The WEM gig was early btw. Before they hit big. I knew of them from the start.

This is the early cut that first made me a fan.

Much different than their first hit "I go Blind" which sounded like so many other bands of the time.

I liked Northern Pikes as well. She ain't pretty, she just looks that way...

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Can't name just one but it revolves around:

Green Day
Beatles
Guns n Roses
Pavement
Radiohead
Nirvana
Oasis

I'll usually put one an album from one of these on Spotify as I go to sleep and let it play through and make a playlist of related bands. Its nice waking up some new music.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Random but Radiohead has no mentions so I'll mention. In the 90's and up to Amnesiac I felt they were very interesting and expanding some horizons as good original artists tend to do. Ironically I didn't fall for their later works when they actually hit more markets. I think their better work is contained in their first 5 albums.

From experience discussing music it seems theres zero intersection of Radiohead and Blue Rodeo fans. ;)

Once you get the Radiohead bug though is the hooks are definitely there. I got mine in 93 or 94. The band is a challenge for some listeners but so much nuance in it and the type of music that requires multiple listens to hit. Kid A is my personal fave. But all 5 first albums all worthy.

Even for those that disliked Radiohead and Pablo Honey and the Bends if I Put this on they get the band in their live incarnation. Its a version of Radiohead that people kind of forgot existed, much more edge, rock etc. Sonic bliss.

i think it was partly this performance that cemented the brilliance of the band to me, how tight they were, how they could play anything and be esoteric at same time.

im a huge fan of the Bends and Ok computer. I like a smattering of songs on every album but those 2 have no skips for me.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Seen 54-40 so many times. They played a two week residency at WEM Fantasyland if you can believe it. I lived in West End at the time so checked out their show a few times. Later saw them at St Albert, then at K Days exposition. once in the theater at Sherwood Park as well. They have such a strong set. they're that band that people forgot, that have so many iconic tunes to fill up a setlist. They are kind of an atypical Canadian band as well in that they have different roots. Rock, other things in the cupboard.

Much different than their first hit "I go Blind" which sounded like so many other bands of the time.

I first saw 5440 in Calgary (spit) when they opened for the Stones on a small tour they did in 2005. Not the best show I ever saw the Stones play, but Neil and the boys killed it that night.

Random but Radiohead has no mentions so I'll mention. In the 90's and up to Amnesiac I felt they were very interesting and expanding some horizons as good original artists tend to do. Ironically I didn't fall for their later works when they actually hit more markets. I think their better work is contained in their first 5 albums.

From experience discussing music it seems theres zero intersection of Radiohead and Blue Rodeo fans. ;)

Once you get the Radiohead bug though is the hooks are definitely there. I got mine in 93 or 94. The band is a challenge for some listeners but so much nuance in it and the type of music that requires multiple listens to hit. Kid A is my personal fave. But all 5 first albums all worthy.

Even for those that disliked Radiohead and Pablo Honey and the Bends if I Put this on they get the band in their live incarnation. Its a version of Radiohead that people kind of forgot existed, much more edge, rock etc. Sonic bliss.

i think it was partly this performance that cemented the brilliance of the band to me, how tight they were, how they could play anything and be esoteric at same time.

Confirmed. I can listen to them and not shut the song off but yes not on my go to playlist artist.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

R they still together?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I feel the same way about Neil Diamond.

Like what the f*** do people see there? Lol
They see Hot August Nights. They see Red, Red, Wine. They reminisce about some chick named Sweet Caroline. They see always staying young in Forever in Blue Jeans. They see down times with Songs that are sung Blue. And they see cracking a bottle of cheap wine with a gal named Rosie.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand.
Why don't you guys just find a secluded place somewhere and Do It in the Road.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Attachments

• slap-in-the-face-slap.gif
    slap-in-the-face-slap.gif
    556.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
@bellagiobob

We will likely never see another time like the late 70's early 80's where you could go to Commonwealth and experience 5+ bands for $20.
I mean that would be the equivalent of approx $80 today.

Monday 3 August 1981Monday 3 August 1981

Location​

Commonwealth Stadium

Heart

Blue Oyster Cult
Loverboy
Ted Nugent

The Rockets

Rock Circus 1980
Date:
Sunday, June 29, 1980
Venue: Commonwealth Stadium

Foreigner
Chuck Berry
Ian Hunter
Prism
Warren Zevon

Toronto

View attachment 734466

Went to all 3.

Reactions: brentashton

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I find it sad that I can't find as much new stuff to add to my musical collection.

I prefer guitar as the main instrument, it can be highly distorted and run through a lot of processing but as long as it is done live with all the feel that a live musician can do I am happy.

Combine that with a natural singing voice. My issue with all the tune corrected voices are that it loses the vocal character and unique sound of a song.

You could never make an Ai song that truly sounded like a great natural voice as it can be detected as a computer would never naturally play around on the note. Being slightly above or below the actual note to make style.

But much of the auto tune sound could allow Ai voices to fill in since the filters are already stripping the unique tone of the voice making a fake one almost as good

Reactions: Morpheus

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I find it sad that I can't find as much new stuff to add to my musical collection.

I prefer guitar as the main instrument, it can be highly distorted and run through a lot of processing but as long as it is done live with all the feel that a live musician can do I am happy.

Combine that with a natural singing voice. My issue with all the tune corrected voices are that it loses the vocal character and unique sound of a song.

You could never make an Ai song that truly sounded like a great natural voice as it can be detected as a computer would never naturally play around on the note. Being slightly above or below the actual note to make style.

But much of the auto tune sound could allow Ai voices to fill in since the filters are already stripping the unique tone of the voice making a fake one almost as good

Lots of auto tune kings and queens out there now.

Reactions: Morpheus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad