Favorite Stephen King Novel

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nah.

He did say novels. Still nah though.
I mean technically The Green Mile is a serial novel. He wanted to do like the serial novels of the early 20th century with a new section released every month or so in a given magazine or whatever. I mean it really is one big novel sold originally in 6 parts over 6 months. You can now get all of them in a single novel.

From wikipedia...
The Green Mile was first published in six paperback volumes. The first, subtitled The Two Dead Girls was published on March 28, 1996, with new volumes following monthly until the final volume, Coffey on the Mile, was released on August 29, 1996. The novel was republished as a single paperback volume on May 5, 1997. On October 3, 2000, the book was published in its first hardcover edition (ISBN 978-0743210898). In 2007, Subterranean Press released a 10th anniversary edition of the novel in three different versions, each mimicking the original six-volume release: the Gift Edition, limited to 2,000 copies, containing six unsigned hardcover volumes of each separate part, housed in a slipcase; the Limited Edition, limited to 148 numbered copies, and signed by Stephen King, housed in a slipcase; and the Lettered Edition, limited to 52 lettered copies, and signed by Stephen King, housed in a traycase. Every edition contained new illustrations by Mark Geyer, the novel's original illustrator. Each version had its own design, and cost $150, $900, and $2,500, respectively. There were other versions published as well, including a "pocketbook" sized hardcover by Paw Prints (ISBN 9781439182789).

King was first made aware of the possibility to publish stories in shorter instalments by Ralph Vicinanza, who, after a conversation with British publisher Malcolm Edwards, learned that Charles Dickens had often published his stories in shorter instalments by either folding them into magazines, or by publishing the instalments on their own as a chapbook.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It
The Regulators
Desperation

It's a shame that all movies based on the novels suck ass and that King is a complete nutjob
Nut sure how he is a nut job.

Also not sure how all movies based on his novels suck. There are some stinkers for sure but then you have ones that are good to great based on his works

Based on novel: Carrie (RT score 93%), Misery, (90%), Dead Zone (90%), Gerald's Game (91%)

Based on novella: Stand by Me (from The Body and 91%), Shawshank Redemption (from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption 91%), 1922 (91%)

this is just some and not counting tv stuff

I was referring to Shawshank Redemption, from Neutrinos' post.
Funny how on IMDB Shawshank is higher than Green Mile but on Rotten Tomato it is the other way around.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Nut sure how he is a nut job.

Also not sure how all movies based on his novels suck. There are some stinkers for sure but then you have ones that are good to great based on his works

Based on novel: Carrie (RT score 93%), Misery, (90%), Dead Zone (90%), Gerald's Game (91%)

Based on novella: Stand by Me (from The Body and 91%), Shawshank Redemption (from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption 91%), 1922 (91%)

this is just some and not counting tv stuff

Funny how on IMDB Shawshank is higher than Green Mile but on Rotten Tomato it is the other way around.

Such a weird way of discussing what's a good movie. The Shining, the best film based on anything by King by a mile, is at 83% on RT.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Such a weird way of discussing what's a good movie. The Shining, the best film based on anything by King by a mile, is at 83% on RT.
Didn't King himself dislike Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining? I personally love the film, but I saw it before I read the book.

On the thread topic, while it's not a novel, my favourite Stephen King book is On Writing.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Didn't King himself dislike Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining? I personally love the film, but I saw it before I read the book.

On the thread topic, while it's not a novel, my favourite Stephen King book is On Writing.
Yes, he wasn't happy about it, mainly because he had written a screenplay and Kubrick didn't even care to read it. But King knows crap about film (both Maximum Overdrive and his approved version of The Shining by Mick Garris are painful proof). Kubrick was an intellectual, and he used pre-written material not to tell the same tale again, but in order to say something else. King thought his story had to be retold - most of his complaints about the film are very dumb.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Kubrick made The Shining more openended as to what the hauntedness actually consisted in, perhaps making the story more scary and interesting. King was more literal, i.e the house was just haunted, from what I heard.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am curious if those people who list The Stand are talking about the original version that was released second as the uncut version and is much longer than the 1st version that was released that the he was forced to cut so much story from by the publisher. At the time he was still a pretty new author and did not have the same say as he does now. The Stand shortened version came out in 1978, his 4th in his own name and 5th overall with his 4th novel being Rage as Richard Bachman.

I'm talking about the uncut version that came out in the 90s.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Talisman
The Stand (uncut)
Insomnia
It
Dark Tower Series
Pet Sematary
Salem’s Lot
Different Seasons
Desperation/The Regulators
Bag of Bones
Misery
Eyes of the Dragon
The Dead Zone
Dreamcatcher

don't think i've read anything new of his since around '05.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad