OT: Favorite Gaming Console. 1998-2020

OT: Favorite game console:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
XBOX 360 nudges out the GameCube. However, the single greatest videogame controller ever was the Wavebird wireless controller for the GameCube. My kids bought me one for Christmas shortly after the GameCube game out and I still have it (and it still works) today!

Reactions: EightyOne

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe I don't remember well enough, but it felt like Dreamcast was only a thing for about 15 minutes in the late 90's.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think PC should be included since it's not really an apples to apples comparison. It's not restricted to one "generation" of games, not really fair.

So for that reason I choose PS2, it just has a massive library of great titles. The GameCube was also great, and holds up well today, it's still a great choice for local multiplayer games. I thought that whole generation was great really, XBOX has a smaller number of excellent games too.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm surprised N64 isn't included on this list, it was still super popular in 1998. Unless we're only looking at consoles released from 1998 until now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If PC is on the list, I take that without really even having to think twice.

But strictly consoles... if we are going favorite I'd have to pick Dreamcast. I suppose it was a more "what if" kind of deal and it had a short run but man... it made an impression on me.

If you are going with "best" I would have to go PS2 with maybe an argument to be made for the 360.

I have to admit that I must have completely either missed out on the Gamecube or just didn't care about the titles because I can't say I've ever played one game on that system.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
1. Dreamcast

2. Switch
3. PS4
4. 360
5. PS2
6. Xbox
7. Xbone
8. GC
9. PS3
10. Wii U

The f***ing trash can of shame. Wii

PC gaming exists on a separate plane of existence because...I dunno...magazines in the 90s.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think PC should be included since it's not really an apples to apples comparison. It's not restricted to one "generation" of games, not really fair.

So for that reason I choose PS2, it just has a massive library of great titles. The GameCube was also great, and holds up well today, it's still a great choice for local multiplayer games. I though that whole generation was great really, XBOX has a smaller number of excellent games too.

Only reason I included PC on the list is in case of people who have only gamed on PC. I mean as in, never owning a console. I figured that would basically cover everyone, I didn't mean it to be the best option. It was added last as an addition, which is why it's at the bottom.

--
To poster asking about N64 and older systems... I wanted to do a 2000 and on list. Dreamcast was so close so I figured what the heck.

Reactions: Beau Knows

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Gamecube produced an all-time great exclusive game every year of its lifetime.

I'd actually take the top 6 exclusive GC games over any 6 games that have ever appeared on a Sony console.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
PC since it's an option even though it's not a console.

Grew up on Sega/Turbo graphics but they aren't listed so PS is my next choice.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Despite owning a bunch of these, other than PC, I don't think I'll ever put as many hours into something as my 360.

I've played like 2500 NHL Be A Pro games. Each game was like a real life 45mins on my settings.

Plus literally like 1000+ hours of Forza 4 alone. 300 hour Fallout 3 save file...not even done with all the expansions lol.

Let alone all the other games. Lol. My life...

Just the perfect blend of good graphics/online and a really decent wireless controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Despite owning a bunch of these, other than PC, I don't think I'll ever put as many hours into something as my 360

Just the perfect blend of good graphics/online and a really decent wireless controller.

The XBox 360 controller (and it's iterations from that point culminating in the most recent version) are the best controllers made, IMO.

I put a ridiculous amount of hours on my 360. So it's especially surprising it only bricked once... and only then after years of punishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I picked Xbox 360, but anyone who got a PSP back in middle school knows that system was the absolute game changer. Those who know, know.
;)

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
hahahaahahah....what game you playin on that PSP?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean it's gotta be PC if we're including it, but I voted Gamecube. There is no chance I will ever get more enjoyment out of any other console than I got out of Gamecube in college. Hell, I will never get more enjoyment out of another console than I got out of either of Double Dash or Melee. That largely comes down to timing, though I do think Double Dash was peak Mario Kart.

I have to admit that I must have completely either missed out on the Gamecube or just didn't care about the titles because I can't say I've ever played one game on that system.
It's a Nintendo console. If you like Nintendo's franchises, you missed some great games. It might be the most consistently great collection of Nintendo franchises on one console. It might not have my favorite of any of the single player franchises, but it has a great one for each. And the best Mario Kart and Mario Tennis imo, which goes a long way for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The XBox 360 controller (and it's iterations from that point culminating in the most recent version) are the best controllers made, IMO.

I put a ridiculous amount of hours on my 360. So it's especially surprising it only bricked once... and only then after years of punishment.
If it had a decent d-pad I'd agree. But it really really doesn't.

Switch Pro Controller is probably my favorite controller. Though I find myself using the Joy Cons most of the time. Being able to lounge with your hands separated is just great.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Launch PS3. Was a big jump from the previous generation and it also played PS2 games. In addition, I had it set up to dual boot linux and run a variety of emulators. One hell of a library with all of that considered. Also, free online play and blueray player.

BUT Sony removed PS2 backwards compatibility in future models and they stealthily removed linux functionality in an update (which they lost a class action lawsuit for). So huge fail on their part and I think removes later ps3 models from top consideration.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You don’t have the NES from 1983 on here for us old timers...so I refuse to participate in this poll...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
If it had a decent d-pad I'd agree. But it really really doesn't.

Switch Pro Controller is probably my favorite controller. Though I find myself using the Joy Cons most of the time. Being able to lounge with your hands separated is just great.

I have much more respect for the Switch since I bought one...But..you're crazy

Launch PS3. Was a big jump from the previous generation and it also played PS2 games. In addition, I had it set up to dual boot linux and run a variety of emulators. One hell of a library with all of that considered. Also, free online play and blueray player.

BUT Sony removed PS2 backwards compatibility in future models and they stealthily removed linux functionality in an update (which they lost a class action lawsuit for). So huge fail on their part and I think removes later ps3 models from top consideration.

Launch PS3 was amazing. Too bad Sony had no damn games at launch. Backward compatible was not an acceptable solution to that out of the gate

You don’t have the NES from 1983 on here for us old timers...so I refuse to participate in this poll...

Ok, boomah

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Probably N64 because it changed everything from what I remember. Goldeneye, Mario 64 among other games.

I'm a PC guy though. It's not really close. 240hz monitor + nice computer = not a fair comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00