Favorite for the cup !

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
With the deadline passed who are or is the new favorite ? Who could surprise ? Who will dissapoint ?

I really think it's anyone's race, the Q has been blown wide open, and there's 5-6 potential champs..

Without further ado..

Team that will win it all: Halifax Mooseheads... To much firepower... They lost a bit of depth, but if Fucale is hot at the right time it won't matter..

Team that will Surprise: Baie-Comeau or Rimouski... Both these teams are well coached and made a few moves... Both will be big contenders next year, and could win it all this year....

Team that will dissapoint: Blainville-Boisbriand.. They needed a D, didn't get one... Could of used a goal scorer...

The teams I see as very much in the race in no order..

Halifax
QC
BLB
RN
Rim
Moncton
BC

Thoughts ?

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
The way I see it:

1- Halifax

2- BLB
3- BC
4- RN
5- Rimouski
6- Quebec/Moncton

Pretenders:
VD/PEI/AB

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I wouldn't say that the gap is that big between Halifax and BLB.

i would agree. i personally think BLB did the right thing by not making big moves that would have cost too much. They have added Tesink which is a great addition for the playoffs.
They have been in the top 3 for most of the season, and most teams about them did not get drastically better. Halifax didnt get much better for this year by adding Murphy, and Macaulay will only be a 3rd line player with Halifax. Adding depth helps, but they are not earth shattering moves. BC possibly got deeper by adding Gregoire - but i dont think they got better. Rimouski probably made the biggest immediate change by adding Gagne.

I dont moncton paid a dear price in order to be more of a pretender than a contender. If they can't fix their issues in the room and in the net, then it doesnt matter who you trade for. Also, they needed some help on D, much much more than they needed another forward.

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I like what BLB did. Nothing fancy. Just got a great depth scorer in Tesink. He'll do well there. Rimouski upgraded 2 20s. Gregoire helps BC, but that's more of a future move.

This has been a weird trading period in that the only team only thinking about this year, was Moncton. Halifax and Baie-Comeau made moves that help next year. Rimouski upgraded, but didn't take anything away from their young core of '95 players. As mentioned, BLB could be good next year, and did nothing to hinder that. Looks like everyone is content with riding it out. Everyone except Moncton, who pretty much had to get Danault, or sell the farm. And even then, the market for 20 year olds wasn't much, so they wouldn't have got the haul they deserve for both Saulniers and Narbonne/Veilleux.

I still think Halifax is the team to beat. But a series against BLB, Moncton, Baie-Comeau or Rimouski wouldn't be easy by any stretch.

Last edited:

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
At this time of the season, a good gauge of where the contenders are is always the difference between goal for and against:

1- Halifax: + 84
2- BLB: +54
3- BC: + 48
4- Quebec: + 44
5- RN: + 23
6- Rimouski: + 21
7- Moncton: + 20
8- VD: + 12
9- PEI: + 8

Notwithstanding anything that happened from the season start to now, this gauge is a very precise one.....

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I like what BLB did. Nothing fancy. Just got a great depth scorer in Tesink. He'll do well there. Rimouski upgraded 2 20s. Gregoire helps BC, but that's more of a future move.

This has been a weird trading period in that the only team only thinking about this year, was Moncton. Halifax and Baie-Comeau made moves that help next year. Rimouski upgraded, but didn't take anything away from their young core of '95 players. As mentioned, BLB could be good next year, and did nothing to hinder that. Looks like everyone is content with riding it out. Everyone except Moncton, who pretty much had to get Danault, or sell the farm. And even then, the market for 20 year olds wasn't much, so they wouldn't have got the haul they deserve for both Saulniers and Veilleux.

I still think Halifax is the team to beat. But a series against BLB, Moncton, Baie-Comeau or Rimouski wouldn't be easy by any stretch.

The key with all those teams will be goaltending. BC/Halifax have 17yr olds in net, Moncton has an 18yr old.

whoever gets the best goaltending will win....just like most years!!

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Halifax

BLB
Rimouski

Quebec
Baie-Comeau
Moncton

PEI

Rouyn
VDO

Halifax, Quebec, BC, Rimouski all made moves towards next season, and still have really good teams... Moncton still have holes, BLB is pretty solid and PEI hope to make an upset to get to round 3 maybe

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
At this time of the season, a good gauge of where the contenders are is always the difference between goal for and against:

1- Halifax: + 84
2- BLB: +54
3- BC: + 48
4- Quebec: + 44
5- RN: + 23
6- Rimouski: + 21
7- Moncton: + 20
8- VD: + 12
9- PEI: + 8

Notwithstanding anything that happened from the season start to now, this gauge is a very precise one.....
couldn't disagree more. the playoffs will see a lot of hard fought, one-goal games. goal differential during the season is meaningless in the playoffs.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

This has been a weird trading period in that the only team only thinking about this year, was Moncton. Halifax and Baie-Comeau made moves that help next year. Rimouski upgraded, but didn't take anything away from their young core of '95 players. As mentioned, BLB could be good next year, and did nothing to hinder that. Looks like everyone is content with riding it out. Everyone except Moncton, who pretty much had to get Danault, or sell the farm. And even then, the market for 20 year olds wasn't much, so they wouldn't have got the haul they deserve for both Saulniers and Veilleux.

And you forgot to mention one of the there most improved moves didn't come by trade but was the addition of Yasin Cisse a few weeks ago. He's a solid, physical, playoff type player.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
couldn't disagree more. the playoffs will see a lot of hard fought, one-goal games. goal differential during the season is meaningless in the playoffs.

I have been observing the Q for 15 years now and every year this has been a very good indicator of the strongest teams.
It might happen we see an upset by team 2-3 on team 1, but nevertheless the teams with the most solid combo offense/defense will win 90% of the time.

We will see one or two surprise upsets along the playoffs, but at the end of the day this is the result we see....

One factor to upset might be the goaltending.....and I have to give the edge to BLB in that department even though Fucale was very good last playoffs.....and let's not forget Brassard in Quebec.

BC/RN/Moncton all have questionable goaltending.

This is where Bathurst and PEI could upset for one or two playoff rounds....

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I have been observing the Q for 15 years now and every year this has been a very good indicator of the strongest teams.
It might happen we see an upset by team 2-3 on team 1, but nevertheless the teams with the most solid combo offense/defense will win 90% of the time.

We will see one or two surprise upsets along the playoffs, but at the end of the day this is the result we see....

One factor to upset might be the goaltending.....and I have to give the edge to BLB in that department even though Fucale was very good last playoffs.....and let's not forget Brassard in Quebec.

BC/RN/Moncton all have questionable goaltending.

This is where Bathurst and PEI could upset for one or two playoff rounds....

They did go out and grab Desrosier today.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Rimouski is not getting enough respect. They are the last team I want to see as a Halifax fan.

Blainville-Boisbriand and Quebec are the other two.

The only real knock on them is that they're young and their goaltending is suspect. Gusse has been nothing less than a disappointment this season and Desrosiers is 17.
I think they're very strong and will be for the next couple of seasons but experience will really come into effect come playoffs.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
While I still think Halifax are clear favorites, there are definitely teams that we can loose to.

Moncton with Danault is scary, volitile, could a powerhouse but I can also see that team collapsing in round one based on discipline and Dubeau

Haven't seen a lot of BLB, Rimouski, Baie-Commeau or Quebec(this season anyway), but I know any one of those teams can take games from us.

I'm especially nervous of Rimouski. That team has been the thorn in the moose heads side for years now.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Like expected, nothing drastically changed for me over this deadline. There wasn't a big enough haul for one team to make me more or less worried about a certain team.

Any team can win on any given day really, especially in the playoffs if a team gets hot... Rimouski got Gagne and Lavoie to improve the 20yo group, but as a Moose fan you're always scared of the Oceanic lol. Good coaching can make them the best team in the East come playoff time...

Baie-Comeau added a big forward to the 3rd line but to give up Leveille and three 1sts for Poulin and Gregoire is a massive over-payment IMO.

Blainville's fast defensive system will continue to make them dangerous and Tesink only helps that. They have a lot of good forwards and a great goalie, so just like pre-season, they're the biggest threat to my #1 (Halifax).... Quebec made a move for next year... Still don't like their depth, but with a lot of firepower up front anythings possible for them again.

Moncton got the big fish, but it doesn't solve chemistry/locker room issues (whatever the rumor is) or inconsistent goaltending. They could play that boring Danny Flynn style and catch on fire in March, because they have the talent..... Or their internal and on-ice problems might continue and ride the Saulniers too much leading to an early exit... Obviously that was last year, and they won't be on the first PK anymore, so I don't think theyy will be as worn down.... Inconsistent, yet dangerous team.

And I'll give it a shot in defending my own team... The team loses two defenseman, but arguably don't lose anything from their defensive game. MacAulay is a two-way Critchlow type, so no complaint there... And Murphy is an upgrade on Gazzola. Murphy adds physicality and some puck skills on the second pair/PP.
Having the top everything in the country basically means it's tough for Cam to make a move, but standing still could've back-fired... He made some moves without tinkering too much with what we had...

I'll say Halifax, BLB, Rimouski and Moncton in the final four...

That's just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad