Favorite Flyers-Rangers Memory

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
The Shootout to Make the Playoffs (2010)

After a dismal beginning to the season, the Flyers fired John Stevens and brought in Peter Laviolette. Laviolette appeared to right the ship, but a 2-6-2 skid in March put the Flyers’ playoff chances in jeopardy. For the first time since the shootout was instituted in 2005-06, it would end up deciding which team would make the playoffs. Entering the game, the teams were tied with 86 points each. The winner of the game would make the playoffs, and the loser would be golfing.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-five-biggest-moments-of-the-flyers-rangers-rivalry/

For me, it has to be the shootout win to make the playoffs. The magical run that that team made is something I'll never be able to forget.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Beating the Rangers in the playoffs is great every time but what that shootout win led to was spectacular. Easily my pick.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
2010 shootout is the most insane sports moment of my life. A duel between a terrible shootout team with Boucher in net vs Lundqvist? I was so tense I fell out of my damned chair to my knees and babbled nonsense when Boosh made that save. And of course Jokinen had to increase the tension with that circling thing he does. And it began a great run.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
2010. It was awesome. The only shootout I have ever enjoyed. (albeit after the fact.)

I went so ballistic in the 5 minutes after that I was almost certainly more of a threat to world security than North Koreas missile programme.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2010 shootout is the most insane sports moment of my life. A duel between a terrible shootout team with Boucher in net vs Lundqvist? I was so tense I fell out of my damned chair to my knees and babbled nonsense when Boosh made that save. And of course Jokinen had to increase the tension with that circling thing he does. And it began a great run.

The Flyers weren't any worse than the Rangers were in the shootout.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
None of those are my personal favorite, but out of that list, it's definitely the shootout victory. That was awesome. Funny how I just thought it was "nice" to make the playoffs that year, not expecting what would happen next. That Boston series came at the perfect time too. My grandmother had passed away and Game 7 took place on the day of her funeral service. Needless to say, that brightened the mood a hell of a lot.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
2010 shootout for me, as well, but I'm too young to remember any of the great rivalries the Flyers had with the Rangers in the 70's.

I suppose it should really be the arbitration award of Lindros, though, because that was the day I became a fan of the Flyers.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Lindros acquisition and the birth of my son might be my only two memories in life on my deathbed, so easy vote for me. I thought multiple cups were done along with that trade at the time.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Lindros scoring with just a few seconds left in game 4 in 1997 to really step on the Rangers necks, giving us a 3-1 series lead.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would you have bet on Lundqvist or Boucher to pull out the win?

I remember going through the numbers on that day and posting that that the Flyers might have had as many shootout wins as the Rangers that year

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I remember going through the numbers on that day and posting that that the Flyers might have had as many shootout wins as the Rangers that year

They were both 3-3 going into that shootout.

However... I remember in OT stats being brought up that the Rags were amongst the best team in SO's since the lockout and the Flyers were something like 2nd worst and it was the first year they had not had a losing record in SO's.

At a brief glance that seems ~correct... the Flyers had not had a winning or even record in SO's from 2005-2009, while the Rangers had a positive record in 3/4 years... and the year they did not they won 8 and lost 9.

I think Lundqvist may have been the goalie who had won the most SO's at that time as well... it was either him or Brodeur I reckon.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
2010 shootout win. Particularly for me because it was the first Flyers home game I'd ever been to.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
2010 shootout was really all I remembered. I was a bit too young for any of the others. But even on its own right, that was an incredible moment for this hockey organization. Absolutely unforgettable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad