Movies: Favorite Comedy, Science Fiction, Drama, Family, and Action

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
COMEDY: Duck Soup or Bringing Up Baby
SCI FI: Solaris (original Tarkovsky version)
ADVENTURE: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
FAMILY: My Neighbour Totoro
ACTION: City of God

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'll play, but I suck at this, apart from horror and sci-fi, I'm not a big genre films fan. I'll try to get away from IMDB's categories where Mon Oncle d'Amérique is my favorite "comedy" and Cannibal Holocaust my favorite "adventure" film.

COMEDY: kind of "intellectual" with just a few big laugh but fun throughout - Rien sur Robert (Bonitzer, 1999) / brilliant and funny - Happy End (Lipsky, 1967) / as for big ahah comedies, the first 2/3 of Le père Noël est une ordure (Poiré, 1982) is the funniest thing I've seen, but not necessarily a great film.

SCI FI: Videodrome (Cronenberg, 1983)

ADVENTURE: Not a type of films I really watch. Taken really widely, my favorite film of all time is kind of an adventure film: Les trois couronnes du matelot (Ruiz, 1983)

FAMILY: The only thing that comes above 6/10 on an IMDB search for "family" is Persepolis (Paronnaud, Satrapi, 2007) and it's not a family film.

ACTION: I see a lot of action films, but I don't really consider them neither good or interesting. IMDB suggests Dawn of the Dead (Romero, 1978), but that's not what you are looking for... typical action movie, I really don't know, I like First Blood (Kotcheff, 1982).

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Comedy: Lolita (Kubrick version)
Sci Fi: 2001

For the rest, no clue. I don't know that I could a confident pick or be certain of the genre.
It's hard to pick 5 favourites but I though it would make people think about it.

COMEDY: Tropic Thunder
SCI FI:
Matrix
ADVENTURE:
Return of the Jedi
FAMILY:
The Incredibles
ACTION:
T2

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Comedy : Modern Times or The Blues Brothers
Sci Fi: ? maybe Planet of the Apes (the original)
Adventure: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Family: The Kid-1921
Action: Captain Blood

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Comedy: Twins
Sci Fi: Total Recall
Adventure: Conan the Barbarian
Family: Jingle All the Way
Action: Predator

Ok, seriously...

Comedy: Groundhog Day