Boston Bruins Favorite Bruins’ Scapegoat

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As we approach the trade deadline, and some fans are eager to run certain players out of town, let’s reminisce about some of our favorite scapegoated or maligned Bruins.

Think players who were universally disliked or had a fall from grace and run out of town with pitchforks.

I’ll lead with two:

Glen Murray: One of my three favorite Bruins ever. Had an excellent second run here and became a lethal sniper, but by the end was despised by many.

He couldn’t keep up with the speed of the “New NHL” post lockout. I remember driving home from a playoff loss against Montreal in 2008 and the calls to sports radio were brutal.

Dennis Wideman: One of many “puck moving defensemen” brought in to fill a need more elusive than the Holy Grail. I think this one was a little more one sided. People hated this player passionately.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not sure if it fits the criteria…but I still hear/read a lot of people complain about Rick Nash…maybe more about the deal than the player, I’m not sure.

But he was a good player who just got hurt.

Similarly, Jagr was much better here than he got credit for.

He was very unlucky as it seemed like he hit about a dozen posts in the playoffs.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The hate on Wideman was so over the top by the end. People were booing him at games for fun and hating him was almost becoming "trendy". It got a little embarrassing to watch/hear.

I'll plead guilty on Glen Murray. Going to live games throughout the 07-08 season and watching his shifts from start to finish was a jaw dropping experience. Jaw droppingly terrible. He was at half the speed he needed to be to be anywhere close to an NHL player in the regular season. In the playoffs, it was like having a 65 year old member of the alumni team out there.

For a lot of people, Tuukka was going to be their scapegoat until he won a Cup. Simply because until he did that, he "couldn't prove he could steal games like Tim Thomas".

Reactions: CDJ

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The hate on Wideman was so over the top by the end. People were booing him at games for fun and hating him was almost becoming "trendy". It got a little embarrassing to watch/hear.

I'll plead guilty on Glen Murray. Going to live games throughout the 07-08 season and watching his shifts from start to finish was a jaw dropping experience. Jaw droppingly terrible. He was at half the speed he needed to be to be anywhere close to an NHL player in the regular season. In the playoffs, it was like having a 65 year old member of the alumni team out there.

For a lot of people, Tuukka was going to be their scapegoat until he won a Cup. Simply because until he did that, he "couldn't prove he could steal games like Tim Thomas".
Good call on Tuukka.

Still the most under appreciated Bruin ever, IMO.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I liked wideman. I’ll your wideMan and raise you a Micheal Ryder

Reactions: Ladyfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Good one.

People remember “the save” against Montreal, but he’d have given DeBrusk a run for his money in terms of frustration over streakiness and lack of production.
Ryder was the guy who would sleepwalk through entire stretches of the season but then in the playoffs would completely flip the switch. Debrusk has some of that in him but hasn't turned it on in the playoffs since the time Kadri tried to murder him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As for scapegoats, or at least in terms of players people here hated that I defended, Danton Heinen version 1.0. Dude's peripherals were off the charts, he made everyone better than they were without him on their line (including 37&63), but did it quietly without flashy numbers and a lot of people here hated him. He did slump through a lot of 2019-2020 but trading him for dipshit Nick Ritchie was one of the worst things Sweeney ever did. His second tour of duty seems to finally have earned him respect.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Tuukka was the scapegoat of all scapegoats. The offense was the issue the majority of those playoff series the Bs lost. It was just easier for people to blame Tuukka than an entire top 6 of players they liked.

Reactions: KrugAvoy

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Tuukka was the scapegoat of all scapegoats. The offense was the issue the majority of those playoff series the Bs lost. It was just easier for people to blame Tuukka than an entire top 6 of players they liked.
Whether it’s the quarterback, the goalie, or the King of England, it’s easier to blame (or give all the credit to) one person versus acknowledging that an issue is much more complex.

Reactions: BMC and UncleRico

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As for scapegoats, or at least in terms of players people here hated that I defended, Danton Heinen version 1.0. Dude's peripherals were off the charts, he made everyone better than they were without him on their line (including 37&63), but did it quietly without flashy numbers and a lot of people here hated him. He did slump through a lot of 2019-2020 but trading him for dipshit Nick Ritchie was one of the worst things Sweeney ever did. His second tour of duty seems to finally have earned him respect.
Speaking of Nick Ritchie last I saw he was bullying SM-Liiga

He was a bit of a scapegoat for a bit (although that was mostly because he just kinda floated around most of the time)

Honestly if he wanted to he could probably make it back to the league as a 4th liner/enforcer, he just has no dog in him

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Chris Kelly got railed pretty hard for awhile simply because of his contract which was unfair. Play was decent but it was like he was a skating money bag out there for many.

Just remember that I was right about Ryan Spooner ;)

Other scapegoats are definitely Tuukka, Jimmy Hayes, Charlie Coyle, Blake Wheeler comes to mind

Reactions: BMC

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Aside from Tuuka, who wins this going away . . .would be any player who was asked to play above their pay grade (i.e., Hal Gill). Thornton was asked/expected to carry lousy swiss cheese teams on his back. Anything short of that was unacceptable.

I'd say today, rapidly coming up the outside is Pasta.

Some fan base . . .three players who at least get HOF consideration still don't measure up here :cool:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Aside from Tuuka, who wins this going away . . .would be any player who was asked to play above their pay grade (i.e., Hal Gill). Thornton was asked/expected to carry lousy swiss cheese teams on his back. Anything short of that was unacceptable.

I'd say today, rapidly coming up the outside is Pasta.

Some fan base . . .three players who at least get HOF consideration still don't measure up here :cool:
One of the nicest guys too. Took everything in stride and has never begrudged B's fans.

Reactions: CDJ

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Its been this way since the beginning of time and will always be. Pay me what these guys make and you can criticize me all you want, I will laugh every time I see that money transfer into my account.

Boo Fing Hoo

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As we approach the trade deadline, and some fans are eager to run certain players out of town, let’s reminisce about some of our favorite scapegoated or maligned Bruins.

Think players who were universally disliked or had a fall from grace and run out of town with pitchforks.

I’ll lead with two:

Glen Murray: One of my three favorite Bruins ever. Had an excellent second run here and became a lethal sniper, but by the end was despised by many.

He couldn’t keep up with the speed of the “New NHL” post lockout. I remember driving home from a playoff loss against Montreal in 2008 and the calls to sports radio were brutal.

Dennis Wideman: One of many “puck moving defensemen” brought in to fill a need more elusive than the Holy Grail. I think this one was a little more one sided. People hated this player passionately.
Muzz was great and a leader. He as always a favorite of mine.

Wides was a very good d man here for a while. Never hated him either.

Wideman was maybe the biggest one I remember

Tbh I kinda liked him

Loui was a major whipping boy until his last season here
I liked Wides too (loved muzz).

The hate on Dennis was stupid and embrrasing.

Muzz had a bone sticking out on his foot/ankle. Not sure how he got his skate on. Muzz was loved and respected by his teammates.

Reactions: MustardStew and CDJ

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If anyone hates Pasta, they are just stupid fans or Hab fans.
dude literally has been on the ice for like 50% of all bruins goals this season, and has directly contributed to like 43%. He basically is our entire offense, and some people were seriously talking about benching him for a bad penalty shot. It's so dumb.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
dude literally has been on the ice for like 50% of all bruins goals this season, and has directly contributed to like 43%. He basically is our entire offense, and some people were seriously talking about benching him for a bad penalty shot. It's so dumb.
Very "dumb".

Me thinks it is a weird agenda issue with the fools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad