Favorite Bruin of All-Time Tournament - Rd. 2, Orr/Rask/Bucyk/Bergy Divisions - CLOSED

Select one player for each pair for who your FAVORITE is, not necessarily the best

• 10 Vic Stasiuk (LW, '55-'61)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 Gary Doak (D, '65-'70 + '72-'81)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Final 64 Breakdown

C: 15
W: 16
D: 22
G: 11

20s/30s: 6
40s/50s: 9
60s/70s: 18
80s/90s: 14
00s/10s: 17

Bracket

1bn89h0x.svg

Orr Division

1. Bobby Orr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
8. Barry Pederson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Glen Wesley Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
5. Woody Dumart Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Gerry Cheevers Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
7. Andy Moog Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

14. Adam McQuaid Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
6. Rick Smith Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Rask Division

1. Tuukka Rask Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
8. Johnny Peirson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Torey Krug Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
5. Glen Murray Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Tiny Thompson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
7. Lionel Hitchman Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

3. Wayne Cashman Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
11. Dennis Seidenberg Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Bucyk Division

1. John Bucyk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
9. Pete Peeters Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Flash Hollett Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
12. Craig Janney Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Rick Middleton Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
10. Vic Stasiuk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

3. Brad Park Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
6. Milan Lucic Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Bergeron Division

1. Patrice Bergeron Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
9. Gary Doak Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Mike Milbury Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
5. Adam Oates Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Frank Brimsek Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
7. Jim Henry Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

3. Milt Schmidt Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
6. Terry O'Reilly Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Park loses to Lucic, that would be a shame. Guy was easily one of the greatest D men this team has ever had, he just had the misfortune to bridge the Orr/Bourque years.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm hoping all 5 2011 Cup D-men advance to 32 (LOL Kaberle). Chara, Boychuk, and Ference are cruising in their match-ups in the other thread, and have to figure McQuaid is a lock in this match-up. Hopefully Seids pulls through vs. Cashman, although it's a tough task.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Park v. Lucic is going to display generational divides here.
As someone who just knows a lot of the history without having seen him play, I voted for McAvoy over Park last round as well. He's amazing but there's nothing really there that grips me as a "favorite" the same way as an Orr or a an O'Reilly does (even though I took Schmidt over him).

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If Park loses to Lucic, that would be a shame. Guy was easily one of the greatest D men this team has ever had, he just had the misfortune to bridge the Orr/Bourque years.

I voted Looch because I’m basing my votes on who I liked best, not who was a better player.

Looch is a top 5 favorite of mine.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As someone who just knows a lot of the history without having seen him play, I voted for McAvoy over Park last round as well. He's amazing but there's nothing really there that grips me as a "favorite" the same way as an Orr or a an O'Reilly does (even though I took Schmidt over him).
I'm too young to have seen him play, I grew up in the Bourque era. And even though I know Brad Park was a really good defenseman and perhaps the most underrated d-man in team/league history, I don't have the connection. But Lucic was a phenomenon here, especially as a young player coming up and throwing hits around, a massive breath of fresh air after years of unlikable Bruins teams. Massive fan favorite whose career arc paralleled the cup team's coalescence. Always played with 100% in big games, which probably led to him breaking down. For people my age and perhaps younger, Lucic was something special, and we just don't naturally have that connection to Brad Park in a similar way.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I voted Looch because I’m basing my votes on who I liked best, not who was a better player.

Looch is a top 5 favorite of mine.

Lucic was great and I enjoyed his style of play, but there were plenty of past Bruins that were better, brought more skills than just physicality, and were also just as physical, if not more so. He was just kind of a one dimensional, throw back player to the 70s and 80s, and like I said, this team's history is filled with players like that. Terry O'Reilly, Neely, Stan Jonathan, Cashman, Jay Miller, Byers, Shoebottom, PJ Stock, Wensink, etc...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm too young to have seen him play, I grew up in the Bourque era. And even though I know Brad Park was a really good defenseman and perhaps the most underrated d-man in team/league history, I don't have the connection. But Lucic was a phenomenon here, especially as a young player coming up and throwing hits around, a massive breath of fresh air after years of unlikable Bruins teams. Massive fan favorite whose career arc paralleled the cup team's coalescence. Always played with 100% in big games, which probably led to him breaking down. For people my age and perhaps younger, Lucic was something special, and we just don't naturally have that connection to Brad Park in a similar way.

Well put.

As we’ve been relegated to having to re-watch games during the pandemic it’s amazing how some of these games bring back the memories and feelings they do.

I was around 37 when Looch got here and it’s almost embarrassing how much I fawned over the kid for most of the next decade.

Tough and mean SOB, who protected teammates, could score, intimidate and brought it in the biggest games.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lucic was great and I enjoyed his style of play, but there were plenty of past Bruins that were better, brought more skills than just physicality, and were also just as physical, if not more so. He was just kind of a one dimensional, throw back player to the 70s and 80s, and like I said, this team's history is filled with players like that. Terry O'Reilly, Neely, Stan Jonathan, Cashman, Jay Miller, Byers, Shoebottom, PJ Stock, Wensink, etc...

Agreed.

And aside from probably Stock and Shoebottom, I’d have voted for each of those guys over Park as well, because I enjoyed their style of play much more.

I can’t say that Park would even get into my top 25 or 30 Bruins of all time.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed.

And aside from probably Stock and Shoebottom, I’d have voted for each of those guys over Park as well, because I enjoyed their style of play much more.

I can’t say that Park would even get into my top 25 or 30 Bruins of all time.

And that was my main point from the start. He gets criminally underrated because of who he overlapped with. Hard to say he was as good as Orr or Bourque, but he was still better than most dmen in his era, he just has the misfortune of bridging those two players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Agreed.

And quite honestly, Lucic disappointed me. I though he would be a much better overall player than he turned out to be. Also, it seemed that whenever he got in a fight, he was spent for the rest of the game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
And that was my main point from the start. He gets criminally underrated because of who he overlapped with. Hard to say he was as good as Orr or Bourque, but he was still better than most dmen in his era, he just has the misfortune of bridging those two players.

I hear you. He’s probably what a top 15 or 20 all time defenseman?

Maybe it’s because he retired when I was probably 13 or 14, but I can’t say I ever got excited about or looked forward to seeing him play.

I can appreciate his greatness though and if this were a “best player” survey, I’d probably be voting for him well into it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Park would have won 6 Norris trophies if Orr didn't exist. He was that good. Though I voted for Looch, it was the closest of the entire round as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that swayed me is how much I hated Park as a Ranger, so I admit it was a purely emotional choice.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
View attachment 341281
I hear you. He’s probably what a top 15 or 20 all time defenseman?

Maybe it’s because he retired when I was probably 13 or 14, but I can’t say I ever got excited about or looked forward to seeing him play.

I can appreciate his greatness though and if this were a “best player” survey, I’d probably be voting for him well into it.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-10_13-39-50.png
    upload_2020-4-10_13-39-50.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 2

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yes, but this is favorite not best and Lucic had such a unique impact here that he earned his votes.

Like Savard vs Chara there are some tough votes!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Lucic was unique in his style for when he played however. One of the last legitimate power forwards.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes, but this is favorite not best and Lucic had such a unique impact here that he earned his votes.

Like Savard vs Chara there are some tough votes!

Yes, I get that which is why I said that about Park. He plays in an org that doesn't have Orr followed by Park, and then followed by Bourque, and he's an all time great and fan favorite. Because of where and when he played, he's barely remembered here. lol

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And in no way was Guy Lapointe ever better than Brad Park. Guy Lapointe wasn't even the best D-Man on his team. Big Bird was.

Agree, Park was better.

But not that much better.

Numbers are very similar. Both great players at both ends. And Lapointe seemed to be a Bruins killer.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Pretty crazy that Craig Janney is going to make it to the 3rd round but Taz isn't. Janney's had two easy matchups tho while Taz had to go against Milt. I'd say both the latter two are top 10 Bruins all time in terms of popularity and in Milt's case top 10 in everything.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Brad Park was 100 times better than Lucic

This is absolutely correct. In the grand scheme of things, Park was by far the better player. Hard to see guys like Park and Taz loose out to lesser players because of so many bandwagon fans that came on board after the cup win in 11, and they have zero frame of reference for this team's history.

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad