Favorite Bruin of All-Time Tournament - Rd. 1, Orr & Rask Divisions - VOTING CLOSED

Select one player for each pair for who your FAVORITE is, not necessarily the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Going to start a new poll every other day for the first round, each one left open for 2 days.

Bracket

Upsets:
11. Lemelin over 6. McKenney, 10. Linseman over 7. Oliver, 9. Awrey over 8. Quackenbush
100% votes: Bourque, Pastrnak, Shore

1bn89h0x.svg

Orr Division

1. Bobby Orr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
16. Bill Ranford Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

8. Barry Pederson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
9. Bobby Bauer Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Glen Wesley Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
13. Bronco Horvath Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

5. Woody Dumart Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
12. Ted Donato Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Gerry Cheevers Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
15. Art Jackson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

7. Andy Moog Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
10. Murray Henderson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

3. Ken Hodge Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
14. Adam McQuaid Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

6. Rick Smith Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
11. Don Simmons Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Rask Division

1. Tuukka Rask Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
16. Michael Thelven Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

8. Johnny Peirson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
9. Bob Armstrong Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

4. Torey Krug Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
13. Ed Sandford Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

5. Glen Murray Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
12. Dennis Wideman Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2. Tiny Thompson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
15. P.J. Axelsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

7. Lionel Hitchman Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
vs.
10. Hal Gill Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

3. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/cashmwa01.html
vs.
14. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/herbeji01.html

6. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/oconnmi01.html
vs.
11. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/seidede01.html

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hoping for a good run for the Kraut line. Everyone knows Schmidt, but there are two more here with Bauer and Dumart.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This is tough. Because objectively I know that Ken Hodge was better than McQuaid, but we're talking favorite and not just best, right? I just have great memories of Quaider from 2011-2016, especially in the finals runs. I stopped myself short of voting for Hal Gill though, lol.

Mike O'Connell is going to get completely wiped out by Seidenberg. His career in management shadows his playing career, and it's just a bad matchup against a very solid #2 defenseman who was a major part of a cup winning core.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is tough. Because objectively I know that Ken Hodge was better than McQuaid, but we're talking favorite and not just best, right? I just have great memories of Quaider from 2011-2016, especially in the finals runs. I stopped myself short of voting for Hal Gill though, lol.

Mike O'Connell is going to get completely wiped out by Seidenberg. His career in management shadows his playing career, and it's just a bad matchup against a very solid #2 defenseman who was a major part of a cup winning core.

Correct. Favorite not best. I struggled with Thompson vs. Axelsson. I really appreciate Thompson as such an integral part of Bruins history, but I also loved Axelsson as a pure defensive forward that lasted his whole career in one organization. Ultimately went with Thompson though.

Seids is one of my favorite Bruins of all time, I'll be voting for him for a while. He's my easy favorite in that bracket of 16.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I voted for Gill. :laugh:

Hey, it's favorites, there are no wrong answers. :)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Correct. Favorite not best. I struggled with Thompson vs. Axelsson. I really appreciate Thompson as such an integral part of Bruins history, but I also loved Axelsson as a pure defensive forward that lasted his whole career in one organization. Ultimately went with Thompson though.

Seids is one of my favorite Bruins of all time, I'll be voting for him for a while. He's my easy favorite in that bracket of 16.

Yeah. Most of these pre-1966 players, other than seeing their retired numbers and hearing how great they were, I have no connection to. Milt Schmidt is an exception because he hung around the team forever. But as unfair as it is, and they may have been 8 time all-stars and scoring leaders, but I have no connection to a Bill Cowley or Cooney Weiland and would vote for a 4th liner I know like Daniel Paille over both of them. Just the way it is.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A lot of these guys i have never seen play, so i'll avoid those ones, haha.
That's fair. I think you can still have a say though if you read up on the history. Like Dumart/Bauer being on the Bruins cornerstone line for a decade and a half, except for when they left to fight in World War 2 is pretty f***ing cool and should earn them some points.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah. Most of these pre-1966 players, other than seeing their retired numbers and hearing how great they were, I have no connection to. Milt Schmidt is an exception because he hung around the team forever. But as unfair as it is, and they may have been 8 time all-stars and scoring leaders, but I have no connection to a Bill Cowley or Cooney Weiland and would vote for a 4th liner I know like Daniel Paille over both of them. Just the way it is.
I think the good thing about going by point shares is that it elevates more recent players, so most of the old players you see are the ones that are much more impactful. Like Adam McQuaid would never have made it in if he was playing in the 40s or 50s or something.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Thanks for continuing with this. One observation I have after looking thru all the brackets is I didn't see Stan Jonathan or John Wensink anywhere. Two really popular Bruins to leave out for some pretty meh players like Thelven, Sandford etc.

Just a minor complaint tho.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think the good thing about going by point shares is that it elevates more recent players, so most of the old players you see are the ones that are much more impactful. Like Adam McQuaid would never have made it in if he was playing in the 40s or 50s or something.
For sure. McQuaid was our #6 defenseman on the 2011 team. A great #6 defenseman, but the #6 defenseman in a then 30-team league. In the 40s and 50s, you had teams playing with 2 d-pairs. So there were like 24 or 28 jobs available. Even factoring out the Europeans in today's game, a McQuaid equivalent probably doesn;t make a roster in 1947.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for continuing with this. One observation I have after looking thru all the brackets is I didn't see Stan Jonathan or John Wensink anywhere. Two really popular Bruins to leave out for some pretty meh players like Thelven, Sandford etc.

Just a minor complaint tho.
Yeah, I could have done 256 and included them but I didn't want to get too crazy. Jonathan would have been 145th (among skaters), Wensink 195th. Horton was the big one missing for me.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Ken Hodge was a vital cog on the Esposito line but I was never a fan and I loved McQuaid so I voted Quaider. I voted against MOC for similar reasons but also something that was not his fault and that was Sinden dealing Al Secord for him. Secord should have been a bridge between an aging O'Reilly and an in his prime Neely.

Reactions: sarge88

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ken Hodge was a vital cog on the Esposito line but I was never a fan and I loved McQuaid so I voted Quaider. I voted against MOC for similar reasons but also something that was not his fault and that was Sinden dealing Al Secord for him. Secord should have been a bridge between an aging O'Reilly and an in his prime Neely.

Yes, MOC was the better hockey player than Seidenberg. But Seids was a better soccer player.

O'Connell also had to excel while playing on the second pairing with the albatross known as Milbury.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, MOC was the better hockey player than Seidenberg. But Seids was a better soccer player.

O'Connell also had to excel while playing on the second pairing with the albatross known as Milbury.
OK that is a very solid point. Mike Milbury was a top 4 D......just had shivers down my spine

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
For sure. McQuaid was our #6 defenseman on the 2011 team. A great #6 defenseman, but the #6 defenseman in a then 30-team league. In the 40s and 50s, you had teams playing with 2 d-pairs. So there were like 24 or 28 jobs available. Even factoring out the Europeans in today's game, a McQuaid equivalent probably doesn;t make a roster in 1947.

I disagree. McQuaid was a throwback kind of defenseman, the kind of guy that was more common in the 40s and 50s, where defensemen defended, for the most part. Playing physically and with snarl was pretty much the bulk of the job description back then. He may not have made the NHL, but his style of play certainly wouldn't have been out of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad