Favorite Bruin of All-Time Tournament - FINAL (Orr Defeats Bourque) - VOTING CLOSED

Select who your FAVORITE is, not necessarily the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Absolutely. Was very productive and for a long time. But he wasn't like Orr leading the league in scoring multiple times. To better explain what I mean, RB has a PPG average of .98 while Orr has a 1.39 PPG average. Ray was great, but Orr was a pure scorer, if that makes sense.

Agreed.

But no one was Orr.

I'd say Bourque was a top 10 defenseman in terms of offense.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Coffey, Leetch, Lidstrom would have to be there due to their production alone, but I'd put Ray second on my list, TBH. Boston bias aside, he was so productive for so long.

I wouldn't put Lidstrom ahead of Bourque offensively.

Coffey, Leetch, Housley, MacInnis, Potvin. Maybe Karlsson, Doug Wilson.

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I voted for Bourque. Orr was better, but for me having only caught the tail end of Orr's career, Ray Bourque WAS the Bruins. Maybe Bergeron is that guy for the next generation, but I cannot imagine the Bruins for two decades without Bourque on the blueline. Orr played with some great players- that doesn't diminish him at all- but there were times when it felt like it was Ray Bourque and the jags vs the rest of the league. I know that isn't really the case, but it felt like it sometimes. He was our one and only star for so much of the time. Tough vote either way, though.

This is why I'm voting for #77.

No slight to #4 but I didn't get to watch him that much. I absolutely fell in love with Bourque in 1988 when I was finally able to watch the Bruins regularly. He really was a bear of a player- big, muscular, strong and surprisingly fast for his size. He could do it all- quarterback the PP, lead the PK, start the rush, shut down opposing forwards cold, get that critical goal and do it at the highest level for the highest stakes. And he did it for 20 years.

I did not and do not hold it against him for leaving. For 20 years he gave his heart & soul to the Bruins questing for the Cup and for reasons beyond his control it remained out of reach. He deserved a real chance to win one and no one was happier for him than I was when he got it.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Lonnie, the poll is FAVORITE Bruin, not greatest, or best Bruin. Maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but half the people voting weren’t even alive when Orr was a Bruin, so I can understand it if Bourque won. I wouldn’t agree with it, and I damn sure ain’t voting in this poll, but I could understand it.

Shit, I loved Randy Burridge. Don’t know why, but Stump was a guy I always took to. He’s way ahead of Dit Clapper in my book.......get my drift?

Funny (or not ) story about Burridge....loved his effort and was my favorite player at the time...

Anyways a local radio station was giving away a car and other prices, station was 107 so 107 people got to qualify...
I was one of them

They had 107 numbered balloons, and when they called your name you either picked a number or the balloon you wanted, so Stump being 12, that was going to be my pick....my now ex, convinced me to pick the highest balloon instead

I won $107

Kept watching and watched the person who got balloon 12 get the 3rd best prize, a $2200 lawn tractor....

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Again, as I've explained multiple times to you now, the point of one of these kinds of polls isn't the actual poll but the discussions it creates because that's the interesting part. You don't like that I've talked about Orr and some of the older players that have had their stars fade a bit, and that's fine, but why the constant need to try and stop it? If someone likes the discussion or finds it interesting, what is the harm in letting them have it? Why the incessant need to try and police what people say or are posting about?

In terms of overall popularity, that to me is the same as favorite. They're synonymous with each other. As for who wins this thing, again, I've said all along it's irrelevant. The important and fun part is the discussion and memories it triggers. You don't seem to enjoy or like that, so maybe just let the folks that are enjoying it have their fun? Seems like a far easier thing to do than to try and dictate what people post here, no? Totally up to you though. :laugh:
I don't have a problem at all with people discussing it but you can't seem to do that without making snarky comments. Calling people bandwagon fans, saying that it's sad more people aren't voting for Orr over Bergeron, saying posters here have a lack of appreciation for the Bruins history etc.

Despite what you say, you're clearly trying to convince others that Orr should be their favourite player which is pointless. Your first post in this thread shows that you're upset about the whole exercise. You have been ever since the first poll went up where you said something like"Bobby Orr end thread" and people disagreed with you.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't have a problem at all with people discussing it but you can't seem to do that without making snarky comments. Calling people bandwagon fans, saying that it's sad more people aren't voting for Orr over Bergeron, saying posters here have a lack of appreciation for the Bruins history etc.

Despite what you say, you're clearly trying to convince others that Orr should be their favourite player which is pointless. Your first post in this thread shows that you're upset about the whole exercise. You have been ever since the first poll went up where you said something like"Bobby Orr end thread" and people disagreed with you.

Snarky comments? How long have you been coming here now? And you're surprised by this from me? That's literally all I do here. And it's not meant to be a mean, it's meant just to have a laugh..:laugh:

I have zero problem with anyone picking any player they want. Which is why I never called anyone out on their choices at all. I merely lamented that Park and O'Reilly got steam rolled in brackets that should have been closer, IMO. Just that. Nothing more. You know, the whole debate part of it? A couple of people seemed to get wound up and mad that I did this, but that's on them, no?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Snarky comments? How long have you been coming here now? And you're surprised by this from me? That's literally all I do here. And it's not meant to be a mean, it's meant just to have a laugh..:laugh:

I have zero problem with anyone picking any player they want. Which is why I never called anyone out on their choices at all. I merely lamented that Park and O'Reilly got steam rolled in brackets that should have been closer, IMO. Just that. Nothing more. You know, the whole debate part of it? A couple of people seemed to get wound up and mad that I did this, but that's on them, no?
O'Reilly vs. Schmidt and Lucic vs. Park are extremely similar match-ups. Both O'Reilly and Looch are like fan favorite players that a lot of people voting for them saw, and Schmidt and Park are the objectively better players that a lot of people didn't see.

aguineapig

Ray was on par with Potvin minus the Cups. I guess those count for something and as much as I couldn't stand him I would go Potvin second, Raymond third. Lidstrom was a superb player with the fortune of playing on some great teams. He would be fourth. Coffey was 2/3 the offense of Bobby, 1/5 the defence of any of the others. But again with all the Cups and Points, No. 5.

Bobby Orr was other worldly. His 69-70 season was one of the greatest in all of sports history. He rode the Four Horseman, Hart, Norris, Ross and Smythe . It will likely never happen again. He transformed the position of defence and in the meantime the sport itself. He transitioned the sport from a regional entity to a national one. Dom wrote about Kyle Keyser the other day, a kid from Florida. Kevan Miller's from California. All offshoots from what Bobby Orr did for the sport. And throw in the fact he was the best teammate you could ever have. After the games were over. Ask Derek, and what he did for Frosty and Pie. If you asked him you would just get that somewhat embarrassed look from him like anybody would do that. No Bobby they wouldn't. Only the greatest would . And that's Number Four Bobby Orr, Four-ever the greatest.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Where would Larry Robinson fall in the pantheon of all time great defensemen in your opinions? He was tremendous for such a long time but wasn't a as productive offensively as some of the guys already mentioned but was great at every aspect of the job.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I voted for Orr...however, truth be told Lyndon Byers was my favorite Bruin of all time but he wasn't even listed as a choice.

Byers, Stan Jonathan and Randy Burridge.......All Bruins who were in my top 20 all time favorites. None of them even made the bracket.

That is one of the reasons why I chose to abstain from voting in these polls.

Reactions: ThomasJ13 and LSCII

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Byers, Stan Jonathan and Randy Burridge.......All Bruins who were in my top 20 all time favorites. None of them even made the bracket.

That is one of the reasons why I chose to abstain from voting in these polls.
There's only so much I can do haha. This thing barely got off the ground when I cut it at 128, so I'd imagine the interest would have been non-existent if I had match-ups like Bobby Orr vs. Matt Bartkowski and Kevan Miller vs. Ryan Spooner. Overall the only lower seeds that did any real damage were the 2011 Cup D-men (Ference, McQuaid, Boychuk), and Looch was the only non top-3 seed in the Final 16. 7 of the last 8 were #1 seeds as well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Where would Larry Robinson fall in the pantheon of all time great defensemen in your opinions? He was tremendous for such a long time but wasn't a as productive offensively as some of the guys already mentioned but was great at every aspect of the job.

The last History of Hockey rankings had Robinson 37th all-time (8th among defensemen).

Reactions: LSCII

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So funny story about that guy, or that Guy??? lol

Hebert is American and his name is actually pronounced with no French inflection. He realized in college that nobody was going to draft and American goalie named Guy Hebert and changed it to the French pronunciation to give himself a better chance of getting to the NHL.
That’s hilarious.
This is why I'm voting for #77.

No slight to #4 but I didn't get to watch him that much. I absolutely fell in love with Bourque in 1988 when I was finally able to watch the Bruins regularly. He really was a bear of a player- big, muscular, strong and surprisingly fast for his size. He could do it all- quarterback the PP, lead the PK, start the rush, shut down opposing forwards cold, get that critical goal and do it at the highest level for the highest stakes. And he did it for 20 years.

I did not and do not hold it against him for leaving. For 20 years he gave his heart & soul to the Bruins questing for the Cup and for reasons beyond his control it remained out of reach. He deserved a real chance to win one and no one was happier for him than I was when he got it.
Yes he did, and I was as happy as you were.

I say that after 20 years you’ve earned your freedom. Sounds like someone else I know, although the guy I’m thinking of won here.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
There's only so much I can do haha. This thing barely got off the ground when I cut it at 128, so I'd imagine the interest would have been non-existent if I had match-ups like Bobby Orr vs. Matt Bartkowski and Kevan Miller vs. Ryan Spooner. Overall the only lower seeds that did any real damage were the 2011 Cup D-men (Ference, McQuaid, Boychuk), and Looch was the only non top-3 seed in the Final 16. 7 of the last 8 were #1 seeds as well.
I hope you didn't find my post critical. It was not my intent to criticize at all. I think the bracket you came up with is fine, and a lot of people really seem to be enjoying it. Please don't let my post diminish the hard work you've done in any way...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I hope you didn't find my post critical. It was not my intent to criticize at all. I think the bracket you came up with is fine, and a lot of people really seem to be enjoying it. Please don't let my post diminish the hard work you've done in any way...
Oh no I just meant that you have to do it in a way that's objective in some sense or there will be zero interest at all to make it workable. Like Horton barely missed the cut and I thought he could do some damage if I included him, but just makes sense to come up with a list of players that's objective. I can't just slot him in because I think he might do well, because it'd probably be someone else's top 20 favorite I'm taking out. There's always going to be some favorite player missing for someone. If I seeded this based on who I liked most Seidenberg would have been a #1 seed.

Reactions: LSCII

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The last History of Hockey rankings had Robinson 37th all-time (8th among defensemen).
I'm going to limit my selections to the Modern Era (Post Original 6 Expansion) but my all time Dmen are as follows:

Mt Rushmore: Orr, Potvin, Bourque, Park

Next Tier: Scott Stevens, Larry Robinson, Nick Lidstrom, Chris Chelios

I don't consider Paul Coffey a defenseman. That guy was basically a 4th forward......

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm going to limit my selections to the Modern Era (Post Original 6 Expansion) but my all time Dmen are as follows:

Mt Rushmore: Orr, Potvin, Bourque, Park

Next Tier: Scott Stevens, Larry Robinson, Nick Lidstrom, Chris Chelios

I don't consider Paul Coffey a defenseman. That guy was basically a 4th forward......

I'd switch Lidstrom & Park. And take out Stevens.

Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad