Fastest ever NHL period/game?

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Great game going on between the Blues and Rangers at MSG right now. Honestly has that playoff game feel, absolutely great game.

Second period had a loooong back and forth, not many whistles. The 2nd 20 minutes was over in just about 29 minutes I believe.

Made me wonder, what’s the fastest/quickest period ever played? And for that matter fastest/quickest game ever played?

Couldn’t find this stat anywhere.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
First OT of game 5 of the 2014 WCF was finished in about 26 minutes, I believe. Not sure if thats the record...

Reactions: x Tame Impala

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and bet no game has finished faster than 20 mins

And you would be wrong! On January 3rd 1927, during a game between Montreal and Boston the weather conditions made the ice melt as they were playing on the lake. Both teams agreed to tie after 19:59 mins of play.

Of course this is a joke, but I'm curious, maybe some weird scenario happened when it did happen. Whats the longest a game went without any whistle?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
It would be a game in the old days that didn’t have to worry about mandatory stoppages and commercial delays. Easily will be games that would have beaten 29 and 26 minutes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
During Game 7 of Boston and Tampa some years back there were no penalties and only 1 goal. I don't remember it well enough though to know how many other stoppages there were.

It was 2011 I think?

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Kinda surprised no one could find this answer exactly!

Blows my mind I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet...

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
It would be a game in the old days that didn’t have to worry about mandatory stoppages and commercial delays. Easily will be games that would have beaten 29 and 26 minutes.

Probably lose less time to commercials now than they did to yard sale line brawls from some of the old timey games.

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
But the gameplay is stopped due to the f***ing commercials, right? so how can there ever be such a record?

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
But the gameplay is stopped due to the f***ing commercials, right? so how can there ever be such a record?
Gameplay only stops if the puck is frozen (goalie holds it, leaves play, penalty). SoC theoretically, if it’s just back and forth you could play a whole 20 min period at once

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Gameplay only stops if the puck is frozen (goalie holds it, leaves play, penalty). SoC theoretically, if it’s just back and forth you could play a whole 20 min period at once

Theoretically yes that could very well happen, but the odds behind that are so mathematically insane that you may be better off just playing the lottery.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Jets had a game within the last year where they didn’t get to take the 3rd commercial break. Doubt it was one of the fastest though.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
And you would be wrong! On January 3rd 1927, during a game between Montreal and Boston the weather conditions made the ice melt as they were playing on the lake. Both teams agreed to tie after 19:59 mins of play.

Of course this is a joke, but I'm curious, maybe some weird scenario happened when it did happen. Whats the longest a game went without any whistle?

Wasn’t it less than a month ago that they ended a period early in the BoA after 19 minutes and change because of a brawl?

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Theoretically yes that could very well happen, but the odds behind that are so mathematically insane that you may be better off just playing the lottery.
That’s the point of this thread though, what’s the closest we have ever come to it

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
All playoff OTs. They only do like 1 commercial break per period and it's so much better.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I don't watch much NHL these days (time zone makes it hard), but regularly go to my local German third division team (semi-pro). This thread makes me remember one reason for that (beyond the gorgeous old barn and that shouting obscenities is fun): you can count on the game being played within roughly two hours because there's no commercial breaks or offside reviews. There's real value in that. In footy you'd call it flow of the game.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Jets had a game within the last year where they didn’t get to take the 3rd commercial break. Doubt it was one of the fastest though.

Were the advertisers livid about it? Do they get compensations if there was only one commercial break for a period?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I was paying on/off attention to that game (mostly listening in the background as I surfed the web), but was shocked when I realized the 2nd had just ended. It was the quickest period of hockey I've ever "witnessed".

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I believe the answer is whatever game you are at live.

Seriously why does it feel like the game just flies by live? You are woo it's finally here and then it's the end of the 2nd and you are like WTF.
If you're having fun time goes by quicker. It's not exactly rocket science.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Curious if an entire period(not the 3rd) went without any breaks thus no commercials, would they add them in later? Perhaps that's a bit too unrealistic of a scenario, but say they played the last 6+ minutes of the 1st without a whistle. Would they have a extra set of commercials in the intermission, or 4 sets in the 2nd or 3rd?

Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad