Fascinating Pens Stats

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
"Crosbt and Malkin are world class players who impact winning and allowed the penguins to build good enough teams around them to still win if they missed small stretches of time" would be my interpreation.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Small sample size I'm guessing. How often are both out? Likely not for long periods of time. There's just too much variance in the NHL to conclude anything when the data point is only a handful of games in a row

Reactions: Habsrule

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Mike Sullivan is an ass but he’s a good coach when the star players are out. He’s trash when both are fully healthy.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Mike Sullivan is an ass but he’s a good coach when the star players are out. He’s trash when both are fully healthy.

Wasn't Bylsma like this too? That 2010 team had no business even making the playoffs, they were so injured.

Edit: Or was it 2011?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
There are some weird stats with the Pens.

Since 2005, their highest win total and their best goal differential was in 2012 - when Crosby barely played.

This is also chapter 5,143 of the book "Hockey is a team sport and no individual carries a team."

Reactions: DaveG

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Since Malkin played his first game with the Pens, the Pens have earned an NHL best .638 % of possible points earned (courtesy of Bob Grove, Pens stat master). Not surprising, but here is what is:

87 in, 71 out (.638)
71 in, 87 out (.639)
Both out (.640)
Both in (.638).

Not quite sure what to make of this. Insane really.

My conclusion is that the Pens are a better team with both of them out by .001 and they should get rid of them

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Small sample size I'm guessing. How often are both out? Likely not for long periods of time. There's just too much variance in the NHL to conclude anything when the data point is only a handful of games in a row

Lol....small sample size

The Pens are most injury prone teams in the last decade and Crosby and Malkin have both missed a fair share.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Well constructed team with a good coach. As great as Crosby and Malkin are, they are still cogs in the machine. From the very beginning they weren't treated as above the rest of team. Playing 19 mins a night, 1 min on each pp, etc.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Good thread to bring up how Crosby’s return has reversed the Penguins’ fortunes this season. Saw on the TV yesterday that they’ve improved in essentially every way, including - perhaps the most predictably - going from league-worst PP% to top-5.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Wasn't Bylsma like this too? That 2010 team had no business even making the playoffs, they were so injured.

Edit: Or was it 2011?
Yes, both coaches are strikingly similar, but many Pens fans have their heads buried in the sand.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

87 in, 71 out: 108-58-15 (181 GP)
71 in, 87 out: 85-44-18 (147 GP)
Both out: 36-18-10 (64 GP)
Both in: 468-249-76 (793 GP).

Not such a small sample really.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
People don’t think hockey be like it is, but it do.

It’s very much a team sport and people overestimate the impact of individual players.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
People don’t think hockey be like it is, but it do.

It’s very much a team sport and people overestimate the impact of individual players.

The players play harder whenever Crosby/Malkin are out even through different coach's and major roster changes, their win record is always consistant. The only explanation that holds is the leadership of the core players (Crosby/Malkin/Letang), so I'd say there is an impact of individual players.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yep. Sad times. Wasn’t Kennedy our 1C or something stupid like that for awhile that year??

I remember how boring that game 7 was though.

Once Crosby lowered the boom he wasn't returning the ship let out her sails after being up 3-1. That , and the big hoopla about Sid being striped of his C that was overly exaggerated than just having someone represent the C like in the days of Mario where Francis would wear it while Mario was out. Had Malkin been in I'd had no issue with him wearing it, and likewise down the "A" wearing totem pole.

That season they lost all 3 top C's for extended portions of the season. Staal was the top C in the playoffs. Had they made it far enough Geno could have possibly returned.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Once Crosby lowered the boom he wasn't returning the ship let out her sails after being up 3-1. That , and the big hoopla about Sid being striped of hic C that was overly exaggerated than just having someone represent the C like in the days of Mario where Francis would wear it while Mario was out. Had Malkin been in I'd had no issue with him wearing it, and likewise down the "A" wearing totem pole.

That season they lost all 3 top C's for extended portions of the season. Staal was the top C in the playoffs. Had they made it far enough Geno could have possibly returned.

Yeah I remember when they all said “f*** you” and wore C’s in practice.

Geno had a “K”

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In some ways all the injuries over the years have probably helped the team learn to adapt to different lineups and not depend too much on any one player. Also, with so many injuries, you can’t account for who is out besides these two at any given time. If Letang for example misses a larger percentage of his games when Crosby and Malkin are in the lineup, that’s going to make the talent on the roster without them closer to the lineup with them than if Letang was just as healthy in both scenarios

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad